advertisement

Smart TVs and what-not.

monstrous lie

Infinitely Baffled
Can any clued-up individual help with my TV-related dilemma, please?

My TV arrangements up till now have been a smart TV (so, with iPlayer, all the other catch-up stuff, Netflix, Youtube etc, etc.), built-in Freeview (obviously), and a (non-smart) Freeview digi-box to provide recording capability and pause/rewind etc functionality. Like everybody else, I toggle between these three sources using the appropriate button on the remote. So far so good ...

However, my Freeview digi-box has now packed-up and so I am looking for a replacement, but my problem is that they are all "smart" digi-boxes these days, that is to say they duplicate the apps and internet connectivity that the TV already has. No problem - you would have thought; just use the smart digi-box for everything and don't bother to ever select the smart apps built into the TV. That sounds logical, but my concern is that the two components will prove incompatible because of the duplcation of functionality. I have got this idea from a brief flirtation I had a few years ago with BT's subscription TV service. BT provided me with a smart Freeview decoder box which I plugged into my telly ... and got nothing but grief whenever I wanted to watch catch-up! The two devices fought like cat and dog. It might, I suppose, be to do with the fact that the BT box was only capable of being connected to the broadband router using an ethernet cable (so the router was in effect talking to the telly via wi-fi and to the BT box via ethernet simultaneously), but I can't really see why that should be.

Hence that episode has left me suspicious of trying to pair a smart Freeview box with a smart TV. But surely, I can't be the only person to find myself in the situation of needing to do that? So have any of you dear readers got an arrangement like that, and does it work satisfactorily? Or, to put it another way, does anyone know of any reason why you cannot team-up two such devices that both have similar smart functionality?
ML

we have smart TVs and Virgin Media V6 boxes which have Smart features etc. There is some duplication of features, apps etc, but no incompatibility or issue using both. One of the TVs also has an Amazon TV stick so some of the features are triplicated- still no problem

Does your smart tv offer built in recording if you connect a hard drive?

My LG tv will record if you plug in a HD and it works v well.

if not, you’ll be able to plug in any smart box with any functions via hdmi without any problems at all.

I think it is simply a process of selecting the appropriate HDMI input or TV using the TV remote. If you have a soundbar or similar ideally it should be connected using an ARC enabled HDMI socket allowing the TV remote to control the volume.

One issue is that PVRs are a declining market due the popularity of catch up services. The firmware for smart services on all devices may go out of date unless the manufacturer pushes out updates. Our seven year old smart Panasonic only had iPlayer working yesterday with no updates available.

A streaming stick is a flexible option, more likely to be updated and cheaper to replace if you need updates. We have a Roku Streaming stick which gives us more options.

My biggest problem was that the remote codes clashed, so if I turned up the TV volume, the hifi amp would switch itself on..
Solution was to buy a programmable remote(Logitech) rather than using the hifi/TV separate remotes.
Not sure if that helps, but worth thinking about.
(I also had problems with ARC automatically switching when I didn't want it to, but using a non-ARC HDMI input and the programmable remote helped)

Many devices have a secondary remote code set you can select to prevent clashes with volume etc. Should be in the main settings menu. Googling usually provides the method.

I wish TVs weren't smart in that I prefer to use a stick such as Amazon 4k or NowTV/Roku. Most TV software is clunky and becomes out dated. Sticks get more updates and you can buy a new one when the tech advances, they are very inexpensive. I'd rather not pay for smart features built into the TV as I won't use them.

I wish TVs weren't smart in that I prefer to use a stick such as Amazon 4k or NowTV/Roku. Most TV software is clunky and becomes out dated. Sticks get more updates and you can buy a new one when the tech advances, they are very inexpensive. I'd rather not pay for smart features built into the TV as I won't use them.
You can buy a commercial display with in built speakers. They are also much more robust and designed for 18 or 24 hour continuous operation. When my TV goes (its 13 yo) I'll be getting a QFHD panel.

Cheers,

DV

I don’t know whether it applies to all smart tv manufacturers but I bought a fire stick because my LG smart tv does not offer all the catch up services as native apps.
I have to use the stick for ITV Catch up and All 4.

A usb memory stick does the job for me as far as recording goes.
Hi Bob McC

What size are the files if recorded in native resolution, say a 2 hour film in full HD?
I've got 2 64GB SanDisks I could use.
Thanks

don’t know.
I just set the tv to record and watch when I want to.
End up with far more than I’ll watch!

Rule of thumb 1GB - 4GB per hour of TV recorded. YMMV. Depends if normal or high or full high definition.

You’ll get a 128GB USB Stick for £15 to 20.

Gus

Thanks Bob and Gus,
I'll try some recording tonight and see if I need some high capacity sticks.

I’ll take a USB stick over a VHS tape any day.
So would I, but that's not the point. I was having a dig at smart TVs that don't stay smart for very long, and then all the smart sticks/boxes/USB drives USW that we need to overcome the deficiencies of our not very smart/no longer smart enough TVs. AS DV points out above, smart TVs are rapidly becoming a complete waste of time.

The best option has always been buy on picture quality and add a smart device and surround system, most folk want no mess and nothing extra so a Smart TV suits them and that’s the target market. Same with HiFi, nearly everyone that clocks my setups think I’m nuts.

Just bought a BT youview+ box for my aging parents, who are now struggling with the complexity of the old humax recorder + Tv.
It has Freeview, all the catch ups and recording driven from a visual program guide and what looks like a simple remote....not set it up yet.. so can't pass judgement yet, but the idea is one remote, box always on, and simple as can be..

advertisement

Back