advertisement

Older car styling

I think perhaps we have different points of view on what constitutes beauty. I see you had a yellow MG Midget. Very pretty, I agree, but hardly the thing to awaken the manic car-mania of a healthy, say, 14-year-old boy. While the 3.0 CSI probably would. If I may be allowed a sexist paragon, one is an adolescent Hailey Mills, the other is Jane Russel in her prime. Or, to avoid accusations of sexism, one is a youthful Anthony Perkins, the other Robert Mitchum. (Doesn't really work, though...)
Hmm in the 70s from the age of about 9, I had eyes only for the Spitfire. Nothing else was as cool. BMWs were for old men. As soon as I got to 17 I bought a Spitfire and loved it until the day it got nicked when I was 25. I always knew they were just BL shite. But I didn't care.

Austin-Healey 3000 in BRG for me. Or dark blue. Or cream. OK any colour. Overcast but no rain please.
BMWs are for old men but I'm now an old man...
Technology has given us cars that are too fast and taken away involvement/enjoyment on roads that are overcrowded anyway. All cars now travel at the same speed so you might as well choose comfort or style.

Technology has given us cars that are too fast and taken away involvement/enjoyment on roads that are overcrowded anyway. All cars now travel at the same speed so you might as well choose comfort or style.

Maybe where you live. Just fine around here, and I’d not want to hustle an old ferry like the big Healey on decent roads anyway. Ok to look at though.

This 1936 Merc in the Technical Museum in Speyer. The photo doesn't do it justice. The museum is well worth a visit if you're in the area...

39027a66d4029521ad2e5a3552ae1621.jpg

From...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nxv2plo/

I loved m y spitfire when it went. Mine was well down the food chain and hard work to live with. I wasn't sorry when it was sold. Great to look at but not much of a car.

I loved mine, when it went. Mine was well down the food chain and hard work to live with. I wasn't sorry when it was sold. Great to look at but not much of a car.

If you are talking about an A-H 3000 the best examples now are going for £100,000, or same price as a new 911 ! Looks like there is a gap in the market there but we live in a world where even mighty Toyota has the share costs with BMW in the new Supra.

I'm talking about a spitfire, however modern day drivers say that an AH 3000, or an E, is a very vintage feeling thing, with heavy controls and poor handling. That's a good one, get one with a bit of wear in it and it will be hard work. These things have their place, a car show on a sunny day and a short drive on dry roads in the sunshine to get there. £100k? Nope.

It seems to be a straight corollary ...

The prettier and the more rare a car is the uglier the driver is.

:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back