advertisement

Roast potatoes

despite waving the labour banner, you are clearly a Tory (*ail reader)

oh and M. Caine knows b**locks about roasties
Wrong...wrong.

Did you ever try roasties with olive oil? Or are you so godlike in the kitchen you just know?

vegetarians don't eat goose, but potatoes are fine. sp
King Edwards, into chicken egg sized chunks, boil 10 mins, drain, shake hard to break upo the outside and put somewhere warm to dry out properly. Olive oil must be generous and VERY hot when you add the spuds
roll them around in the oil and then 1 hour at 180, turning and basting at least twice. Large sprig of rosemary goes in the pan 15 mins before cooking finishes.
I prefer goose fat for the taste but Mrs R can't eat em so OO is a decent second.
And as for the chicken to go with, head says full organic, but nose, tongue and tummy prefer free range corn fed.

Goose fat good. Beef dripping even better.

I roasted a goose for last Christmas and I'm still using the fat. Very handing for frying eggs.

I have tried like every oil, even coconut oil (quite good actually)

Olive oil is just no, sorry. Heston I think likes olive oil so its all down to taste I guess but given the choice I would use simple vegetable oil over olive.

Fool proof way. Firstly cut the potatoes so they have sharp edges, medium in size. Use a steamer to part cook for 10 minutes, this gives a dryer potato. Shake them a little in the steamer basket once done to ruffle the edges slightly.
Heat the oil in a 2 inch deep dish for 5 minutes. Keep oil sizzling on hob, add part cooked potatoes in batches, ensure an even coating of oil.
Place back in oven for approx 20 minutes until coloured & crisp.

Type of oil is not that important, potatoes should not be too small.

I'm roasting tatties as we speak, but use rapeseed oil or goose fat. Maris Pipers not very big, 45 mins at 180, sharp edges which crisp up nicely and thin tray.

Fool proof way. Firstly cut the potatoes so they have sharp edges, medium in size. Use a steamer to part cook for 10 minutes, this gives a dryer potato. Shake them a little in the steamer basket once done to ruffle the edges slightly.
Heat the oil in a 2 inch deep dish for 5 minutes. Keep oil sizzling on hob, add part cooked potatoes in batches, ensure an even coating of oil.
Place back in oven for approx 20 minutes until coloured & crisp.

Type of oil is not that important, potatoes should not be too small.
20 mins? How hot is your oven?

20 mins? How hot is your oven?

steel_mill_blast_furnace_coking_coal_iron_ore_600.jpg

Rob :) ...I used to work in Port Talbot. When they were to open the blast furnace doors, a siren would sound and, all over the town, you could see a Lowry scene of women rushing to the back yard to bring in the washing. 5 mins later, the air would be snowing black smuts. Must have been bits of Woodies roast spuds :)

advertisement

Back