advertisement

Winter election III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good tactical voting guide for key marginals in The Guardian. Everyone living in such a seat really does need to take the most realistic path to blocking Johnson’s vile right-wing popularism. Just hold your nose and use whatever is statistically the best option against the Conservatives.

It's likely I'll campaign in Putney during the next few days, trying to persuade Lib Dems to vote Labour.

The Tories could get 43% of the vote, Labour 40% and the Lib Dems 10%, according to a compilation of surveys, polls, past election results and student registration drives.

Swinson meanwhile slates Corbyn whenever she can and says she will not resign if the Lib Dems win even fewer seats.

Jack

49187726128_f37f66b3ca_c.jpg

49188419017_b729a752eb_c.jpg

49188223026_58eb077822_o.png

49187726288_e7646200b4_o.jpg

49188419127_b7a240289e_o.jpg

49187726328_e518056412_o.jpg

49187726363_006571e3d8_o.jpg

49187726428_951b94cb41_o.jpg

1. The tories were in government in 1996
2. Douglas Hurd thankfully isn't running for PM.
3. Maria Gatland - some story!
4 & 6. McGuinness had played an instrumental role in the peace process, and was by this time an elected MP and Deputy First Minister. The government decides who HMQ meets.
5. Whitelaw was acting on behalf of the government. Major William Whitelaw MC served as a Battalion CO in Normandy and NW Europe. I can't somehow visualise JC in command of a tube of toothpaste, let alone a battalion of Churchill tanks.
6. Margaret Thatcher is not running for PM.

Ought not to be but these sites are spreading a lot of confusion. Safest to ignore.

Not if you want to unseat a Tory where Labour can’t win it isn’t. Best not to rely on a single site, but many of these seats are not a close fight between opposition - it’s pretty obvious which candidates are best placed to unseat the Tory.

Not if you want to unseat a Tory where Labour can’t win it isn’t. Best not to rely on a single site, but many of these seats are not a close fight between opposition - it’s pretty obvious which candidates are best placed to unseat the Tory.
Yes and it’s often not the one recommended by sites being pushed by, e.g. The Guardian. All I’m saying is: ignore them. They are, at best, using outdated and unreliable data, at worst they are deliberately attempting to mislead the unwary.

Yes and it’s often not the one recommended by sites being pushed by, e.g. The Guardian. All I’m saying is: ignore them. They are, at best, using outdated and unreliable data, at worst they are deliberately attempting to mislead the unwary.

So you are arguing that people vote Labour in Con/Lib marginals? That is just bloody crazy. Far better to use whatever stats are available and to actively target Johnson even if that means say both Jack and Drood voting LD. I would unquestionably vote Labour in a Tory/Lab marginal, and have done many times even though I am not a fan of the party. Every time. It is clear Corbyn has failed, all we can do at this stage is to vote against a Tory majority. I would advise people to do so.

"Marginals are usually defined as seats where a swing of up to 10 per cent will lead to a change, with the average swing between the Conservatives and Labour in the post-war period around three per cent. By this standard, around a quarter of seats that will be contested on Thursday across the UK can be classed as marginal." John Curtice.

Nothing is a foregone conclusion but Labour will not get a majority.

So you are arguing that people vote Labour in for instance Con/Lib marginals? That is just bloody crazy.
No, obviously not. I’m saying, don’t rely on these sites to tell you what is a lib/con marginal. The Guardian is telling people to vote for an ex-Tory in the constituency of f-ing Grenfell, which currently has a sitting Labour mp. It’s obvious what’s going on here. Ignore them, do your own research. In most cases that won’t require any more effort than Googling who came 2nd against Tories in 2017.

The tories were in government in 1996

Correct. And meeting with the IRA

Douglas Hurd thankfully isn't running for PM.

Maria Gatland - some story!

Correct. And meeting close up and personal with the IRA

McGuinness had played an instrumental role in the peace process, and was by this time an elected MP and Deputy First Minister. The government decides who HMQ meets.

Correct. And met with lots of Tories

Margaret Thatcher is not running for PM.

Correct. And befriended terrorists of the most sadistic kind

Whitelaw was acting on behalf of the government. Major William Whitelaw MC served as a Battalion CO in Normandy and NW Europe. I can't somehow visualise JC in command of a tube of toothpaste, let alone a battalion of Churchill tanks.

You are Sergeant Marc Francois and I claim my £5.00

Exaggerated faith in polls + failure to understand how tactical voting works + straightforward attempt to mislead, with a view to hobbling Labour.

Corbyn’s already made a pretty good job of that himself!

All I’m asking is you use the brains God gave you. Do not trust these sites.

I’d trust them over Labour activists every single time as at least they are based on polling/trends etc rather than wishful thinking or pining for a long past 2017 peak. I would obviously like far more evidence than is currently in play, but I’ll always take ‘some’ over ‘none’ when that is the option.

Correct. And meeting close up and personal with the IRA

Correct. And met with lots of Tories

Correct. And befriended terrorists of the most sadistic kind

You are Sergeant Marc Francois and I claim my £5.00

Oh dear...

I’d trust them over Labour activists every single time as at least they are based on polling/trends etc rather than wishful thinking or pining for a long past 2017 peak. I would obviously like far more evidence than is currently in play, but I’ll always take ‘some’ over ‘none’ when that is the option.

video from the Financial Times data and statistics journalists says not to trust the sites.

https://www.ft.com/video/87c6a5c9-e741-4433-b35f-58642b7c517d

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back