advertisement

Winter election III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry this is just the usual class prejudice. There are of course plenty of working class Tories but if you think that their distinguishing feature is xenophobia and the distinguishing feature of middle class Tories is moderation and decency then I don't know what to tell you. If you just start with the basic principle that the distinguishing feature of *all Tories* (some exceptions of course) is xenophobia (and resentfulness) then you won't go far wrong.

Why exactly do you think Cummings is targeting ‘red wall’ Labour working class areas? Who in those areas are deserting Labour? What messages is he running to motivate/trigger them?

You will obviously hate to admit it, as to be honest do I, but I am pretty certain my analysis is correct here! It will be proven late-on Thursday.

They've focused on policies, the right thing to do IMO: people care more about the NHS being dismantled than they do establishment politicians or establishment political pundits having a go at Boris. The people still capable of liking Boris like him largely *because* the likes of Corbyn and Neil have a go at him.

Given a large number of undecided voters who can flip flop between parties (43% in 2015) it is not the minutiae of manifesto promises that can persuade them at the last minute, but a more direct and straightforward message, Johnson is a liar and a coward!

It is rather more nuanced than that. I suspect the Conservatives will show a very noticeably decreased but still winning vote in their traditional middle-class and upwards heartlands (the leafy burbs and rural England etc), but a big increase in working class Labour areas by tapping into the ugly nationalism and xenophobia that has festered there for generations. I hate to admit it but it appears Cummings is playing a very smart game. He clearly knows his market and is taking a strategic gamble to sacrifice old-school Tory moderates in safe seats to pick up ugly disenfranchised Labour-gammon, which is easily found and can be bought with vacuous soundbites. Sadly the Leave.EU campaign was the blueprint for the future of English politics. They have won.

If there is one thing that we learnt from the last two elections is that in these volatile and uncertain times, applying a narrative can very often lead one astray.

Anyone listen to the World at One today?
The incredulity from it's presenter when his 3 guests didn't condemn Neil for his to camera piece tearing Boris a new one?

Anyone listen to the World at One today?
The incredulity from it's presenter when his 3 guests didn't condemn Neil for his to camera piece tearing Boris a new one?

What time was that, roughly? Wouldn't mind hearing it, but would rather avoid listening to the rest of the programme to get to it.

What time was that, roughly? Wouldn't mind hearing it, but would rather avoid listening to the rest of the programme to get to it.
1.20 ish...There was also a rather suspicious fumble "oh I lost my way" during the report on the Brexit document revelations...

There was a piece on Victoria Derbyshire about the online campaigns that showed equivalence between Labour/Corbyn ad on the CocaCola lorry as being taken down for copyright reasons followed by the far more dangerous and misleading Tory BBC news edits..it stinks.

It won't affect him because he lives in the Irish Republic and none of this will affect him.

He posts like he is a living breathing member of the Tooting Popular Front who currently resides in the said Tooting but he is in fact a 'Wolfie'.
What happened to your oft stated abhorrence of intolerance?

As I was driving yesterday afternoon, I listened to NPR’s daily broadcast of BBC America.

The interviewer was talking to what sounded like some elderly voters. When asked if they were concerned about the economic downside predictions for Brexit, they dismissed it as propaganda created to convince naive young people into voting for Remain. When asked if that propaganda included the current government’s own figures, they launched into “you can’t trust ANY politician”, just get it done, and so on.

That part of the broadcast was predictable, but what followed was the reporter talking about how large numbers of younger voters are now planning to vote Conservative. No sources were cited that I heard, but he described it as a movement. Had it not been for reading about the current BBC bias here, I would have been dismayed, if not shocked, by this reporting. Or, heaven forbid, is there some truth to this? Hope not.

As somebody who has paid £175,000 in to the private school system it was done knowing that 10% of what I was paying went to fund the 'less advantaged' children who attended the school. At the same time I was paying normal taxes so funding the state school system at the same time.

I can't help feeling the SNP led campaign against private schools smacks of Labour policies of old...........

Regards

Richard
I’ve never understood why insurance premiums are taxed either.

And all less fortunate tax payers were subsidising your children by giving the school undeserved tax breaks unavailable to any state school.

I'm aware that such as private education has its pluses and minuses but I know SWMBO ended up having heated exchanges on a certain horsey forum from one poster who suggested they couldn't afford to send their kids to a private school - SWMBO pointed out that if they gave up their twice a year expensive holidays and replacing their upmarket expensive Range Rover/ BMW every two years they'd have plenty of money available.

Who has done more for society on balance? Things are rarely clear cut.

Regards

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back