advertisement

Iphone 11 activation help.

jevy47

pfm Member
Hi all, hope you can help an iphone novice.

My son has a iphone 7 but will be getting a new iphone 11 for Christmas.

I use an android phone with the same size sim card and same network.

Would I be able to activate the iphone 11 with my sim card then swap to his card on Christmas Day without any issues.

Regards
Davey.

The thing with an iPhone is you need to set up an Apple account etc...probably best waiting until you’ve both got it out the box and run through the set up together if that’s feasible.

I set up his Apple account when he got the iphone 7 so I have the relevant info.

I could wait until Christmas Day and use his sim card, but it would save time if I could activate it with my card.

I'm no Apple expert but they are fussy about this sort of thing. I would suggest you keep the new phone in his name with his sim.

Just let him activate it with his SIM on Xmas morning. He’ll be able to restore from iCloud so it’ll essentially be a clone of his previous phone in terms of apps, photos etc.

This will take maybe 30 mins with half decent broadband speed.

Tell him Santa suggests he backs up his current phone last thing Xmas Eve, just in case he’s been a good boy all year. Then he’ll be good to go.

Don’t go anywhere near it with your SIM! Leave it to him - the new phone will ask him for his Apple ID and do a restore from the iCloud backup of his old phone. (He should make sure he has all the backup to iCloud options on on his iPhone 7). This way his mail and messages and apps will all get downloaded onto his new phone. Might take a bit of time if there’s lots of them, but he won’t have to wait until it’s finished. Could hardly be easier. When it’s set up, stick in the SIM and PIN and that should be it. I’ve got an iPhone X, it’s a superb phone, by all accounts the 11 is a good bit better, so he’s a lucky lad. Buy him an Apple Watch for his birthday. And AirPods. You should get your car cleaned for at least a month.

He's already got an Apple watch (gps + cellular) but never uses it.
I've got it up for sale here and various other places.

He can place the new phone next to the old and the software automatically picks this up and transfers data. Just wait till Christmas day, set up is part of the fun!

Yes. The NFC connection between 2 phones to transfer to a new one is dead clever. Don’t need the AppleID stuff either in that case, it transfers across. Over the following hour or two it will copy across the stuff from the cloud.

advertisement

Back