advertisement

Shostakovich 4

Tim Jones

pfm Member
Many things to be said against this; it's bitty, overly cinematic, etc. But I have a tremendous personal affinity for it.

I have two vinyl versions of the Ormandy/Chicago SO performance (possibly its debut after Stalin's suppression), but the recordings are just grim - one with a persistent mid hum, and the other (the usual CBS blue label) with significant wow.

The latter, which is really bad in the closing bars or so, has persisted on every deck I've ever played it on.

I have the Ashkenazy, which is great in hifi terms, but musically a bit staid. But wondering if anyone can recommend a version to satisfy both preferences.

My favourite Shost symphony so I have at least half a dozen...
If you want a visceral thrill, especially from the bass drum, Rattle/ CBSO takes some beating. Petrenko/ RLPO on Naxos is lighter in some ways (more balletic?) but has a superb finale. Jarvi/ RSNO on Chandos is a good all-rounder, typical Chandos house sound (slightly reverberant, but brass come blazing through). There are many to choose from - Chung/ Philadelphia is another -as quite few conductors are now taking this piece up thankfully.

Jarvi/SNO on Chandos
Haitink/Chicago Symphony
More recently very impressed by Andris Nelsons and Boston Symphony on DG - magnificent sound too. But all of these are very good recordings.

Hard to track down, but absolutely outstanding in my book anyway is the Melodia box set with Kiril Kondrashin. The box set is on Qobuz. Well worth a free trial to hear.

The symphony is available separately, not cheap, but better than the box set:

Shostakovich: Symphony No.4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000025WG9/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That Haitink sounds very interesting, as does the Melodia/Kondrashin.

I have the Rattle/CBSO, and the recording is stupendous, but it sounds a bit played-by-committee to my ears.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

advertisement

Back