advertisement

An interesting peak into Analogue heaven and incredible passion!!!

The Garrard 301 in the wood plinth doesn't look blingy to me, but it would sound better with a cartridge.

299ac3a2-b924-4bbf-bf79-2c72b9caa9ef.jpg

I know some people will say that's all fine and well, but turntables are still little more than expensive effects machines and, moreover, you can't play angry birds on one like you can on an iPhone. Well, to that I say...

Joe

Love the grey 301, pretty sure that is a BBC spec one, though I’ve no idea what the extra black bits in front of the platter actually do!

If I had the dough I would probably add a garrard 301 & an upper tier SME to my LP12. It is never likely to happen mind

having heard a Goldmund Reference and finding it inferior to a Rega 2 I am quite suspicious of the Egyptian Lavatory style player.

You’re not the uncredited reviewer who reviewed the Nakamichi TX-1000 in Popular Hi-Fi in 1983 are you?

The reason I ask is that this mystery man thought that this was worse than a Rega Planar 3. He was monumentally wrong about this and I have a sneaking suspicion you might be, too.

he's just a purveyor of flat earth dogma. fwiw, i own a rega p3-24, and i'm very happy with it, but it's not better than my sme 20/2. not even close.

I do dislike the over the top nature of some decks, air beatings & the like. If it involves that much artifice to play a record I would rather not bother. I prefer simpler designs that are well done.

I have heard and owned the Rega's they do what they say on the tin very limited in terms of performance theres no soul or body , I currently own a Kuzma which was a real stretch seriously hard to purchase. I would love to own multiple turntables and have heard quite a few they all offer there individual perspectives. Now i could never afford to own more than one turntable, but I admire anyone who has put so much effort into learning, for me reading that article is refreshing as most dealers out there would never give a shite obviously this guy is thinking out of the box and seriously cares. I have seen that this has been posted on several forums around the world every forum apart from here all have been so positive and enjoyable to read every one.

It makes me feel that this forum is just full off bitter twisted jealous individuals who exhibit just plain old nasty traits, of course there are some nice individuals amongst the mix. All I can say all this banter makes this forum look extremely shabby, when the same elsewhere is so positive.

Last edited:
I have listened to Mik's systems over many years. If any of you know him, he is a very unasuming man who just happens to be a total high end enthusiast. Just like some people collect high end exotic sports cars etc, Mik is into the ultra high end of hi-fi. His particular interest is TTs. He has probably owned most of them. I remember his decks at Scalford because they got there is the back of my SAAB 9000. It was quite an adventure. We loaded it to capacity and set off up the M1. Mik just loves being with other enthusiasts and listening to and talking about TTs. The Show was really special. I think it was the last "real" Scalford. On the last day we loaded everything in the car to leave and when I went to start it - nothing! The fuel pump failed. Had to wait until midnight for the AA. We were the last ones to leave. It was a really surreal experience. Riding off down the M1 in the cab of AA truck with a 20 year old SAAB on the back with all these expensive TTs inside. Finally got back to Mik's at 4 in the morning.

I only had dealings with Mik once before when he contacted me over a piece of kit i had for sale. He asked me the rest of my system and then proceeded to tell me how rubbish it was and how what he could sell me was way better. Suffice to say............

I have dealt with Mik 4 times, the first was in 2010 when he purchased a SME model 30/2 from me. Mik did exactly what he said he would do, the payment was prompt. At that time, he heard my new turntable and without any charge he decided to do a professional set up even though it was purchased elsewhere. It took him 4 hours. The difference in sound and performance was huge. So not only did he give me money for my previous deck, but he also provided me with service no one has ever offered.

I soon realised that Mik has an amazing knowledge into hi end audio as he has invested so much into learning that can't be easy in itself. I have since purchased a pair of Rockport speakers from him and later a new Turntable, He has always provided me with amazing knowledge and with his assistance. I now have a system I truly love and have avoided many costly mistakes.

I quite often take up hours on the phone discussing audio and he has never made me feel I am wasting his time.

I’ve met Mik and heard a few of his turntables - both experiences were an absolute pleasure and Mik was most charming.

Just to say - i'm happy you both had great buying experiences. As I said, I never met the man. He called me, having seen an advert I listed on hififorsale. I have heard similar stories - as in some people like / some dislike - other well know dealers. Guess it depends on the chemistry between 2 people and the day/mood you catch them in. I enjoyed the article on Mik anyway, and despite my prior experience I dont hold any grudges!

Love the grey 301, pretty sure that is a BBC spec one, though I’ve no idea what the extra black bits in front of the platter actually do!
I heard this was from the Radio 1 studio. I wonder if the black blocks were for resting your hand while holding a primed 45 on an enlarged mat for instant play?

All I can think is that they are there to stop clumsy DJs from touching the rotating platter when cueing up a disk or fumbeling with the knobs .

Martin

Or could the little round thing with what looks like a window be an optical play counter that would be tripped every time the arm was placed on a record . To measure ' needle ' life .
Nah it's to stop them playing with the knobs .

advertisement

Back