advertisement

An interesting peak into Analogue heaven and incredible passion!!!

"Spending countless hours experimenting with metallurgy led Mik and his colleague Eric to discover the sonic merits of platinum in the audio chain....."
Me: short of brass
Mik:Hm.... lets throw some platinum into the hifi and see what happens....

Very impressive, to say the least. At the same time it is hard not to be amused by the fact that my lowly Iphone is more capable in preserving the original signal than any of those grandiose oil rigs.

Looks rather OTT if you ask me, nothing floating my boat aesthetically either. Some of the overbuilt decks/arms just make me think; hold on, the cutting lathe was a fifth of the size...

I've met Mik at Scalford with a great many of those decks there.
Nice to talk to and very passionate about SQ.
I can't remember what the rest of the system was but IIRC some mahoosive horn loaded speakers were involved, sounded great!

I miss the orginal Scalford shows.

Having one fishy friend with an AVID Acutus/SME and t'other a top end SME/arm. It's worth commenting on just how good these decks sound(an almost total absence of surface noise boggles the mind...cd quiet) and individually they look fantastic in their respective systems but a room full of gold, chrome and marble just looks like an Egyptian nite club toilet.....;-), me, I'm very happy with the looks and colours my fruit box/Alphason Xenon bring to my system.

Having one fishy friend with an AVID Acutus/SME and t'other a top end SME/arm. It's worth commenting on just how good these decks sound(an almost total absence of surface noise boggles the mind...cd quiet) and individually they look fantastic in their respective systems but a room full of gold, chrome and marble just looks like an Egyptian nite club toilet.....;-), me, I'm very happy with the looks and colours my fruit box/Alphason Xenon bring to my system.

Yup, and that's very nice for you with your 'old fruit box', but it's very interesting there is so much more out there and the article highlights that very well IMHO.
If it had been an article on an LP12 that wouldn't have prompted anything.

It's also important to understand whilst these TTs are part of a collection they are also part of the chaps business and that room doubles as a working business system(s)

So in isolation, each TT set up in an individual's room would be a lot less like, as you so eloquently say 'an Egyptian nite club toilet'

Having read this thread it seems I should now simply replay my music via an I-phone. Yet, why is it, and to be fair it was a time ago, when I heard the output of an NDS did it leave me cold? Why is it I prefer my record replay over the output of the Wadia (btw I like my Wadia very much)? How am I going to feed all those records I have into an I-phone? How am I going to feed all those cds into an I-phone? I am sure that in other threads I have talked about the pleasure of playing records. The pleasure of reading what's on the covers or the inserts, looking at the artwork. Not quite the same in the digital world? Incidentally, I rather like the idea of owning one of those uber decks. Quite happy with my fruit box though.

advertisement

Back