advertisement

Energy Suppliers, smart meters and switching?

Smart meters are about demand management. You'll understand what that means when you find it too expensive to run the washing machine at certain times of the day. I wonder how we're going to cope when several million electric cars require charging at 5pm in winter when it's dark and there's no wind?

Had one fitted on Wednesday by EON as our tariff had been discontinued and existing meter (radio telemeter) was incompatible with new tariff, so far no problem and hopefully as the meter is a SMET2 should enable us to move to a cheaper supplier, the smart display is useful but a little off putting, we have electric heating which is expensive to run, you have a near real time indication of cost and it can put you off using high consumption items, but so far so good.

On the subject of switching, give Bulb Energy a wide berth. They’re the most inept shower of useless incompetents that it’s ever been my misfortune to encounter. :mad:

I would say that you are very much a minority as bulb have won awards for their customer service and having left them to go to Economy Energy (now no more) have just moved back to them having had a short period with Ovo.

I've been with bulb since August 21st and had a bill yesterday from Ovo covering the period up to 6th November............... so the inept epithet applies to Ovo.

Big issue here, living out in the sticks, is getting a Smart meter fitted........

It's bit like the recent announcement by Labour about free 30Mb broadband all over the UK by 2030. Can I suggest they get everybody, including my property (still only 1.3Mb), to 10Mb first or start implementing the 30Mb programme from the most difficult and fit it in London last???

Regards

Richard

Can anyone confirm if any supplier has 'an app' for the smart meter? I really dont want the crappy plastic thing in the sitting room.

Was quite tempted by Octupus energy. Anyone using them?

Can anyone confirm if any supplier has 'an app' for the smart meter? I really dont want the crappy plastic thing in the sitting room.

Was quite tempted by Octupus energy. Anyone using them?

Me, currently running my fixed deal down.

advertisement

Back