advertisement

Unipivot arms - which one and what are the benefits?

About as ridiculous as buying anything other than a practical motor; or camera; or...... One cuts one's coat according to one's cloth and each to his own, Chops. Of course, it's a bit pointless spending thousands on a top cart. if you've only got a bread and butter arm; or deck, come to that. I might be tempted to send my Proteus to Goldring, e.g., when the time comes, but only because Transfiguration is no more. Such a shame.

Ridiculous to me Mike. I’ve no objection to the way anyone else spends their money.
I’ll also admit that my tone arms and phono stages are very bread and butter. I built both phono stages and I built the arm that sits on the turntable I built that’s in my main system. I’ve had so much pleasure from that turntable over the years.

Ridiculous to me Mike. /QUOTE]

Understood, as I have electronically gifted friends who are reluctant to spend too much on manufactured audio kit; quality components for construction projects okay! Consumers like me who have trouble telling a transistor from a diode (well, almost) only have recourse to spending to achieve progress.

Oddly, I've financially downsized in recent years but sonically upsized (big Naim & ProAcs to valves and ESLs). However, cartridges are a little hifi heaven which rarely figures in DIY.

Thread now ten pages old and surprised that the Graham Phantom has not been mentioned.
In the world of unipivots this one must surely be at the top of the pile.
IMHO of course

Just looked up the Graham Phantom Elite, must be a pretty good unipivot for that sort of outlay.

I think one of the joys of unipivots is that they can be so simple and still work so well. Mega bucks unipivots just seem to miss the point to me.

:)

ive heard if u want a uni-pivot the Roksan Sara is rather good

but if u want a real arm then the pu7 is waiting :) hehe
I’ll have a PU7 on my deck next week to try, Paul is coming up from Edinburgh to fit it and tweak a few things, looking forward to hearing it.

Gus

ive heard if u want a uni-pivot the Roksan Sara is rather good

but if u want a bigger boy arm then the pu7 is waiting :) hehe

Well, Johnnie, I have a 'bigger boy' (12" chrome PU7) on my Dais alongside a 12" N.A. (Ace Anna). Chalk and cheese sonically with any cart. I've put on them, but, one being gimballed and one unipivot, this is no surprise. Discovering the differences between the formats was my initial aim.

Simplistically put, one is expressive and t'other is mellifluous. I have found a slight synergy between different arms and cart's., though. E.G. Lyra superb on unipivot; just typical Lyra hifi on gimbal. Koetsu (Urushi) has the opposite synergy. Upper Benz and Transfig. probably edging toward the gimbal, which makes sense to me.

advertisement

Back