advertisement

Speakers for low volume listening

I had MA R852MDs for 20 years and they did not sound bright. If remember correctly the early ones kept blowing their tweeter. It was a very simple crossover so I guess they either changed it or altered the tweeter on later models.

As the OP was looking to improve on Dali Zensor, I would say the MA 252s improve on them (I have tried the Dalis).

Both in performance and looks.

The loudness button on my former NAD amp was the pefect antidote to boost 'weight' in late night low level listening sessions.

But cans aside, A near field experience is the modern way for enhanced listening at lower levels.

I have a pair of Audioengine A1 powered speakers in my kitchen, then a pair of B&W mm1 desktop speakers in my home office. Although markedly different in character, both feature built in dsp for lower level listening, and I have to say, whilst they are not so good at higher levels, for normal to lower levels they tick all the boxes.

Nearfield in the lounge is a harder challenge, logistically and aesthetically.

So an amp with a loudness button calls....

What property of the amp do you think changes with level (as long as you don't get to clipping)?
I’m not techy, as you know, so that’s an unfair question, but as volume is usually controlled by way of either a potentiometer, or stepped attenuators, then I wonder if variations in input impedance might factor in there somewhere.

I managed to reach a good compromise by pulling the Royd Merlins about a foot from the back wall. These sound very good with the JVC but they belong in another room with the Nait2. I was wondering if there was a speakers with better mids without sacrificing all the bass.
I wish I could have large speakers (JBL or Tannoy) in my room but being the living room, aesthetics play an important role in the selection.

I’m not techy, as you know, so that’s an unfair question, but as volume is usually controlled by way of either a potentiometer, or stepped attenuators, then I wonder if variations in input impedance might factor in there somewhere.

For the "wake up" to happen for real, there would have to be some major non-linearity involved.

i'm thinking of giving the Q Acoustics Concept 20 a try.
Has anyone tried them in a small room environment?

I'm in a flat so use Zingali 2.10 home monitors they are big speakers they sound great at low volume just as much when loud.

ime, no replacement for displacement. big speakers sounds great at low volume. where speakers with 5,6 or 7 inch woofer always need to play louder to come alive.

ultimaly, at low volume, I prefer headphones.

if you must listen with speakers at low volume, bass boost eq works a charm

Speakers with a smooth response curve, nearfield listening position. Add a little bass lift with the tone controls to taste, a glass of Bruichladdich.

Having recently moved house to a 30s semi my party wall is now the back wall of my small listening room (12x 10). However I've also been able to dedicate the room to hifi. I've been using some Audio Physic Sparks for a while now and like the old Epos Designs they have no crossover to speak of just a single component to protect for the tweeter. Partnered with a little Exposure 25 amp and set right out into the room so they are around 3.5 feet from the back wall 7 feet apart and 6 feet from my seat the sound at low volumes is really enjoyable and dynamic with plenty of oomph in the bass. To the point where my preferred volume has decreased from around 11 on the dial to 9. So In short speakers nearer, less crossover - Works for me.

I think Totem do something similar available currently.

ime, no replacement for displacement. big speakers sounds great at low volume. where speakers with 5,6 or 7 inch woofer always need to play louder to come alive.

ultimaly, at low volume, I prefer headphones.

if you must listen with speakers at low volume, bass boost eq works a charm

The opposite to what I expected, but strangely my big PMCs do sound better than the MA GR60s and the 8" JBLs at low volumes.

Love my Sennheisers though, using a Fiio to boost voltage headroom.

advertisement

Back