advertisement

Computer/Video Games & Gaming

I downloaded Prey via Gamepass, but I’m just not feeling it, unfortunately.

So maybe I’ll go back to the PS4 backlog with Horizon Zero Dawn or Shadow of The Colossus.

Anyone experienced those and care to say which deserves to be first?

In my innocence I didn't even know Game Pass was available for the PC (albeit in beta). Might give it a whirl as it's only £1 a month at the moment. Anyone else tried the PC version and care to comment?

Mick

In my innocence I didn't even know Game Pass was available for the PC (albeit in beta). Might give it a whirl as it's only £1 a month at the moment. Anyone else tried the PC version and care to comment?

Mick

Using it here, got it free for 3 months when I upgraded recently (think it came with my CPU).
Very impressed so far, Forza is good and really enjoying The Outer Worlds and Senua's Sacrifice

Not sure if I will keep going when it clicks to full price, but for the moment I am getting good value from it.

Using it here, got it free for 3 months when I upgraded recently (think it came with my CPU).
Very impressed so far, Forza is good and really enjoying The Outer Worlds and Senua's Sacrifice

Not sure if I will keep going when it clicks to full price, but for the moment I am getting good value from it.

Thank you. I’ll give it a go then. PC is ok to run the likes of No Man’s Sky and the demo of the most recent Tomb Raider game at my monitor’s top resolution (1920 x 1200) with all the bells and whistles on so I should hopefully have no issue running stuff.

Mick

Thank you. I’ll give it a go then. PC is ok to run the likes of No Man’s Sky and the demo of the most recent Tomb Raider game at my monitor’s top resolution (1920 x 1200) with all the bells and whistles on so I should hopefully have no issue running stuff.

Mick

Cant recommend Forza enough, its not a serious sim, but an arcadey fun racer with good progression, lots of options and about a zillion cars, old ones, new ones, supercars and rubbish cars... For instance, for the first time in game I got to build my weekend warrior racecar and make it look about the same as it does in real life:

When I get time and access to the kids PS4, I have been really enjoying Gran Turismo Sport, especially the online Daily Races.

It’s a good sim and the driving and handling physics are remarkable. Graphics on UHD are stunning. Gameplay and competitive nature is great, although it gets a bit feisty at certain times, and the penalty system can be harsh.

Assetto Corsa modding continues to amaze. Shaders patch, SOL, and mods like this mean it's still the best sim.

matthew.

do you wear gino racing shoes when you play like the chap in the vid?

Just my trusty old Vans, although I can't heal and toe like Jimmy so maybe I should.

The driving gloves always struck me as more ridiculous although apparently that's about protecting the Alcantara finish on expensive steering wheels which apparently doesn't like sweaty palms (which seems like a design flaw).

@matthewr

one more thing: i really still can't get past these new steering "wheels" (is that still the proper term?) that are not circular (speaking of real race cars). i know there is probably some good theoretical reason, but it's just not right.

@matthewr

one more thing: i really still can't get past these new steering "wheels" (is that still the proper term?) that are not circular (speaking of real race cars). i know there is probably some good theoretical reason, but it's just not right.

People who are really into racing sims swap steering wheels (actually just the rims) to match the cars they are driving in game all in the name of "immersion". Thing is high end rims are not cheap and spending £400 a pop so your pretend racing car has the same rim as the real world version get's very expensive very quickly : https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/

People who are really into racing sims swap steering wheels (actually just the rims) to match the cars they are driving in game all in the name of "immersion". Thing is high end rims are not cheap and spending £400 a pop so your pretend racing car has the same rim as the real world version get's very expensive very quickly : https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/

i imagine seats and pedals are a thing too.

back to the steering wheel though, don't you find the current F1 style to look like a cheap copy of a sci-fi game accessory?

Yer know I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my first ever paid work in electronics being repairing video games (Defender, Asteroids etc etc... yep long time ago!) but I really don't get the whole gaming thang at all.... You could rant on about the latest greatest one and I would not be interested enough to get off my chair to look at it even....
Takes all sorts 'n all that:)

Yer know I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my first ever paid work in electronics being repairing video games (Defender, Asteroids etc etc... yep long time ago!) but I really don't get the whole gaming thang at all.... You could rant on about the latest greatest one and I would not be interested enough to get off my chair to look at it even....

I love that era of computer games! Almost certainly because that is the time I first become aware of computers. I can remember typing in many simple Space Invader type games from magazines on a friend’s BBC Micro etc. If I play any games now they are that era through to say Quake at the most recent. I have to admit I’d love a proper vintage Pac Man, Space Invaders or Galaxian table-format machine! My kind of coffee table!

PS I have a working/restored BBC Micro, Electron and ZX Spectrum!

Takes all sorts 'n all that:)

The very best games nowadays can be works of art not entirely dissimilar to films, but more personal in the way that perhaps books can be. That almost certainly sounds ridiculous when thinking about Galaga or Asteroids, but it’s true. The commentary can be astute and resonant, the story beats and set pieces part of the cultural background of gamers, the characters sometimes even almost like friends or at least people you know.

I was a kid when Space Invaders machines were still common and the NES was a big deal, so I’ve played games my whole life. It’s actually hard to imagine what it would be like to not have them be part of life, in the same way I imagine that those younger then me can’t see how I could not care less about Instagram or ever want to be in a photo.

Like you say, it takes all sorts!

I love that era of computer games! Almost certainly because that is the time I first become aware of computers. I can remember typing in many simple Space Invader type games from magazines on a friend’s BBC Micro etc. If I play any games now they are that era through to say Quake at the most recent. I have to admit I’d love a proper vintage Pac Man, Space Invaders or Galaxian table-format machine! My kind of coffee table!

PS I have a working/restored BBC Micro, Electron and ZX Spectrum!

Oh the electronics was quite something! Z80 seemed to be the processor of choice but I recall one called "Monaco Grand Prix" which was sit-inside driving game and had basically a mini computer made entirely of TTL!! I'm recalling maybe 50 or more bigger than A4 sized plug in PCB's in the back of these! Such fun fault finding this to component level... not.

back to the steering wheel though, don't you find the current F1 style to look like a cheap copy of a sci-fi game accessory?

They can but given they trying to look as much like the real thing as possible they don't really have much choice in that regard. Also a big part of the reason why the good ones are quite so expensive is because there is a lot of money spent on high end materials and switch gear to get the just right heft and feel. A really good quality magnetic switch on a flappy paddle shifter is a thing of joy.

It's even more absurd with the high end gear levers because no expense is spared to get an experience that feels like you are engaging the transmission of a 600bhp V8 even though ultimately it's converted to a signal down a USB cable...

@matthewr

i meant the actual F1 cars, not the games replicating them. a tearing wheel that isn't a wheel just seems wrong.

advertisement

Back