advertisement

M-DAC - power query

Funk

pfm Member
I have an M-DAC and a query regards powering on and off; what would be the risks of leaving it powered on all the time rather than continually turning it on and off on the front of the unit as I do at the moment?

It's the only component I can't use with my Google Home-controlled IR blaster to power on or off as it doesn't have the option to put it into a sleep/standby mode from the remote. I think I already know the answer to this but....would it cause any issues to connect it using a smart socket which could be turned on and off remotely or via a Google Home routine (effectively the same as just turning it on/off at the plug)?

I don't want to do anything that could potentially damage it (either leaving it on 24/7 or putting it on a smart socket) - I could of course just continue switching it on/off manually!

Last edited:
Annoying isnt it? My MDAC is the only thing not compatible with my Harmony set up, so many times after being greeted with silence I realise I haven't switched it on!

I know, it's a bit 'first-world problem' but still a minor irritation! If I'm turning it on manually I may as well ditch the IR blaster and do the amp at the same time.

I think shutting it off directly from a smart socket won't do it any good; I'm not sure if there's some sort of 'internal shutdown' process that happens when you turn it off with the button on the front? I would just leave it on but I'm concerned that it will shorten the lifespan.

I can’t see why a smart socket would damage it, unless it has flakey firmware that could become corrupted if the power is just cut. I’d be surprised and disappointed if that were the case though, there are any number of reasons why the power might be cut and it shouldn’t cause any problems, if it did, I’d expect Audiolab to sort it FOC.

The M-DAC and related Audiolab products are known for having leaky, pretty short lived electrolytic caps and leaving it powered 24/7 wouldn’t help matters so do turn it off when you’re not using it.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back