advertisement

Ethernet Cable Shoot Out – Shunyata, AudioQuest, Supra, Viablue, Ugreen

I always struggle with the 'I don't care how or why, just take my money' statements. These cables get very expensive, personally I think the problem is people don't want to investigate any further in case it leads to a different conclusion.
I was in the Innuos room at the Hifi Show at Ascot on Sunday and they were just swapping ethernet cables. I could hear a difference and most if not all others could.

I was more interested in the Chord demo where they tried different speaker wire. I was amazed that their Rumour at £18/ m was the same as the next one up with shielding added. I much preferred the latter and even more than their next lot up (Epic).

I think the OP's review was excellent.

Ah I always loved those demos, "Do you hear a difference? Yes? Yes?"

All they do is turn the volume up slightly haha.

I always struggle with the 'I don't care how or why, just take my money' statements. These cables get very expensive, personally I think the problem is people don't want to investigate any further in case it leads to a different conclusion.

Ah I always loved those demos, "Do you hear a difference? Yes? Yes?"

All they do is turn the volume up slightly haha.
I don’t struggle I just try to ignore the opinions of the ‘I dont carers’. They are creative types who relish the attention their posted output might draw. Once having said ‘I can hear’ they dare not make a different statement and the addiction starts. I think they struggle with the discipline of true testing and comparison, can’t be bothered. Note the defensive reactions as our OP has provided. The Naim forum is rich in such souls as you well know.

One facet I enjoy is the magnitude of the difference descriptions, huge, massive, evening and mid day etc, exaggeration for effect.

The Mains cables efforts might prove ‘interesting’

This is odd, when Abbey Road Studio was refurbished in 2016 they used mainly Van Damme cables (As I use in my system).

https://www.audiomediainternational...oad-upgrades-studio-two-with-van-damme-cable/

The Starquad microphone cable costs from 48pence per metre (this version even has a snakeskin braid).:D https://www.designacable.com/compon...arquad-vintage-braided-cable-268-029-000.html

I think the OP should tell Abbey Road that their recordings could be greatly improved by spending
£ 300 to 900 per metre on some Shunyata etherenet cables.

I would love to see their reply to him.

Our history with Abbey Road
Our CEO, Michael Whiteside, installed several of the main studios at EMI Abbey Road and specifically developed the now-renowned ‘Abbey Road Cable’ for this. The original Abbey Road Cable is still available, but Michael has improved these designs as our Reference series, introduced our acclaimed Carbon Screened Power cable and has created ‘Black Star’ the most outstanding range to date.

http://studioconnections.co.uk/

This read may be of interest

https://www.davidgilmour.com/press/2005/march/TapeOp_March05.pdf

After concentrating a great deal of time on my digital setup recently – being that I found Roon and Tidal so I wanted to fix some of the ‘harshness’ I found in my digital setup to have it more alike to my vinyl tone.

So, how there is difference in these cables? No idea. Could be many things from conductor materials, insulation to noise reduction techniques. As I said, I literally have no interest, for me it’s about the sound and the tunes, and changing the cables made it better, for me. So, I won. Others that have interest, and spend sometime with network cables and a good ear/system can probably enjoy the same benefits, those can't can't/won't/have expectational bias, will not. Does this matter? No not really, each to their own. No one needs saving from how they spend their money and if its enjoyable, why would one mock, just enjoy the tunes.

SetUp

Pathos Inpol 2 Remix
Q Acoustics Concept 300
Lumin D2
Qnap 453DX
Netgear Switch
all wired with Mogami cables

I'm a little late to the party here, but awesome review and great read :)

After concentrating a great deal of time on my digital setup recently – being that I found Roon and Tidal so I wanted to fix some of the ‘harshness’ I found in my digital setup to have it more alike to my vinyl tone.

What started it all off was buying an IFI Noise USB reducer for my NAS (which acts as the Roon Core).

https://ifi-audio.com/products/isilencer3-0/

It was £50, and easily to be returned to Amazon if it didn’t do anything, but boy, it was a wonderful £50 spend. It removed a portion of that ‘tschh tchsh’ crashy harshness and generally made everything less ‘immediate’ and more ‘fluid’. This was a complete no brainer. I then added an IFI 5V PSU to my network switch, and this again brought great gains in cleaning up the sound, bringing articulation and a stronger sense of ‘silence’ in the music, presumably, by removing ‘noise’ as I doubt it has any direct effect on sound quality.

So, while looking into further noise reduction options such as Linear Power Supplies’ (which I have on order – review to come) I thought I would experiment with ethernet cables. Although a cable purist, and being blessed with ears made from unicorn tears, I am able to hear what many can’t because I am a true Hifi Super Hero, I was a little sceptical over ethernet cables. Logic has it that there wouldn’t be a difference, but logic and science and engineering are delicate ideals that can and have go wrong (thalidomide, bridges that collapse etc), so I trust what I hear and wanted to listen, to hear for myself, and not have any predisposed theories.

Each cable was ordered and ran through my modem to router for two days prior.

Normally I don’t opt for the whole ‘blind testing’ thing as I don’t need to, but I thought for a bit of a fun I would ask my friend for help in performing such a kinky exercise, making it a social event as well as an experiment.

My friend Noemi obliged me in my and I quote her, ‘insane’ request for assistance. Noemi is a Professional Dominatrix to the rich and famous in London with a client list that would surprise and shock. She also has a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, and although she feels ‘blind testing’ is not appropriate for dealing with any audio-based observations as ‘having senses removed distorts perception’ (she went on and on for a while but this was the basis of her scientific opinion), she obliged to be my ‘scientist’ and change the cables for me during multiple listening sessions. She enjoys good music and a good sound as well so it was a fun time.

She arrived with her pvc catsuit, a blindfold and a gimp mask after a cuckolding session with a husband and wife hifi dealership in North London (ok I made the first part of that up) anyhow, she marked the cables for herself to know, and removed the cables after a set time/track etc. I left the room on swap overs.

I set out five tracks I knew well, and would listen back to back as I normally do.

John Smith – Great Lakes

Lucinda Williams – Dust

Cowboy Junkies – Walking After Midnight (Trinity Revisted)

Jason Isbell – Travelling Alone

Metallica - The Unforgiven

Amongst two of my own recordings, which are extremely valuable as I know exactly how they sounded in the studio.

My thoughts where all written on each cable and I ‘guessed’ each cable correctly on average 4/5 times, only getting it wrong very late into the session which we put down to fatigue, my head was rattling by this time!

This review is entirely my own opinion on the sonic attributes of each cable or rather, what they do to the sonic attributes of the system. I have very little desire to understand any ‘science’ around any of this. I don’t need to - audio is audio, if I can’t hear it, I have literally no interest.

One thing to say immediately, Ethernet cables do not have the often ‘big’ differences that can be found in speaker/interconnect cables. It’s a niche. It’s fine tuning, it’s about ironing out any annoyances that you may have on the digital side, indifferences, and developing your own personal sound quality and preference. I wouldn’t recommend spending money here unless you are at the pinnacle of what your system will probably ever be, but there are distinct differences to be had between certain cables, and it is definitely worth exploring if you are of the inquisitive manner with an open mind.

So, the hit list.

Supra Cat 8, 2.0m, £39.99

Viablue Cat 6A, 2.0m, £99.99

Audioquest Vodka 1.5m, £339.99

Shunyata Venom, 1.5m, £300

Ugreen Cat7, 2.0m, £5.99

AudioQuest Vodka

If there is ever a cable you want to swap in to proof existence of the sound differences in network cables this is the one. This is a high-resolution cable! You will hear MUCH more of what’s there, so much more detail and precision, but still musical and a great sense of instrument separation and air in the playback. However, the downside for me, is that it was too much for me. I am not searching that infinite resolution, in fact, I don’t actually want that, but some do, and those that do, this is a remarkable cable. I imagine the increased silver content in the plating helps towards this definition. Although I have not heard it, the Audioquest Diamond, with its solid silver construction and ridiculous price tag apparently has even more of ‘this’. Even Noemi remarked that it had so much more ‘va va voom’ than the others. (this was her favourite cable), it's like it is alive.

Supra Cat 8

This is a great cable at an affordable price, the newer Cat8 version. Most of my system was already wired with this stuff. However, it’s not a ‘finesse’ cable. It's blunt, exact, almost like if a German had made it, MUST DO WORK you can hear it saying. It does what it’s meant to, well. But it lacks any form of fluidity. It can be harsh, and extremely unforgiving of poor recordings. It’s very blunt and actually managed to make the music sound very much ‘left sided’ on my speakers. I have since been told from other Supra users the Cat 7 version of this cable is nothing like the Cat 8 in all respects from ethernet to interconnects, and is a lot more mellow and fluid, so it could be that the way this one is shielded is providing some of this dampening factor. Don’t know for sure, don’t really care.

I feel this cable is perfect for all the various points of your network, my actual internet speeds sped up considerably putting it in the modem to router connection, but for me it’s not one for the end point from NAS to Streamer.

ViaBlue EP7, Silver Plated

This cable is sublime. Truly sublime. It’s almost like adding a valve buffer into your setup. Its delicate, full bodied, floaty, but it is a little bloated on the bass and has a somewhat hashy and over extended top end sparkle, can get a little fatiguing at times especially with poor records on the higher end of the spectrum – typically 90’s recordings where they liked the V shape on the EQ in the studio. However, after a while with this cable I was finding it contained, as I describe, digital ‘hash’, the very thing I was looking at getting rid of. It sounds great at first but becomes to melt your brain a little after prolonged listening – This was decided upon after my listening session when I ran my favourites, the Viablue and the Shunyata for a week at a time getting used to their presentation and seeing which one I wanted to keep.

Shunyata Venom

At first the Shunyata sounded very ‘solid’ and precise and quiet. It did not have that ‘floaty’ nature of the Viablue, bit it has so much more in terms of structure and has a solid base to the sound. You get a sense it is quite ‘dampened’ but the more you listen you more you realise it’s one of those that does nothing wrong. It picks up things the Audioquest does but without throwing them in your face and rattling your senses. It’s just ‘there’ and extremely solid, but with a slight cushioning, natural one may say. The bass is real natural, kick drum in the room kinda thing. It was as if it took the best elements of all the other cables and mixed them up into a solid performer, it was quite astounding how different it was from the other cables and especially against the Audioquest. In my opinion, If a person cannot hear the differences between these two cables, then they should just buy a Matsui Midi system and be happy.

Ugreen

Not a million miles away from the Supra, but a lot more bass ‘bloat’. Instrument separation was massively reduced in comparison to the other cables, it all just sounded very ‘hashy’ if that’s a word, everything going on in the tracks ‘merged’ together a lot more. This got exceptionally bad with the busier tracks. You know, it still sounded ok, it didn’t take away what all the expensive componentry was doing, but it just wasn’t making the best of them. It would do, if you don’t care or have predisposed theories or you are skint, but it was bettered by each cable tested. How much better and what price you put on that is entirely up to you, but for me, say the difference between this and the Viablue, the cost would be worth it.

As with all the cables, you quickly ‘settle’ in to the sound and then realise the differences more when the next one is put in the mix, but with the Ugreen, you just couldn’t go back to it after hearing what the other cables did, or didn’t do. It was just a let-down. Each time, I knew exactly it was that one and sighed.

So, which one did I keep?

I decided to stick with the Shunyata, not the most expensive but it was one of those cables that sounded just ‘right’. It had no annoyances, nothing. It was just ‘solid’ and ‘brilliant’. If you were to go into battle, the Shunyata would be the one you want on your team. Your second in command. Trustworthy, nothing missing, nothing flouncy. Just solid to the core. Dependable and brilliant. That mate you have who is successful, good looking and ultimately humble and just a nice solid bloke. Still, I wouldn’t have any major issues keeping the Viablue, but the Shunyata removed some of the annoyances I had with it and kept the bits I liked (just at a lesser value), and having sold the cables for more than I had paid (apart from the Ugreen, that was given to kitten to play with) I had made enough to cover the excess.

The Viablue is great. It would be the emotional side to the team, the one who reads poetry and paints sunsets but can still get down and dirty when they need to, but where it finds its limits when doing so and things get busy,. For the price, it’s an exceptional upgrade over the Ugreen and Supra, and it would definitely be worth a trial. If you want a bigger ‘body’ to your sound and you like that atypical 'silver' cable sound signature, it would be the one for you, but it can be become fatiguing if you prefer a more laid back sound.

The Audioquest is the kamikaze, the live wire, the adrenaline junkie, the loose cannon. No fear,it's big and bold and dominates but it still grooves. It’s not without soul, it’s just a big soul. As far as traditional Hifi SQ ideals go, this would be the winner. If you crave the ultimate resolution but still with groove and natural voicing, it is a great cable. If you also like a right old stiff one, it will be ideal for you. This is most radical sound from all the cables - it stands out like a 7ft Basketball player in a Chinese market.

The Supra is the dependable but It’s dull. No real artistic passion or heart. No inner drive, more monotone, black and white than technicolour. An academic, the type that would write an educational book about their friends getting shot at, while they are being shot at, but that book would teach others about his friends as heroes, in a dull but factual manner.

The Ugreen, would be in charge of the toilets, only brought to the front line as cannon fodder. Serves a purpose, but really, shouldn’t be there. It’s cheap, it does its job, which is fine, but if you have the inclination then you can easily find gains in replacing it. It you don't, it works.

After this, I had a look online to see if there were any comparable reviews of each cable, and although non-identical, these are a couple of interesting links, some of which echoed my own experience which was interesting and also assuring.

http://www.audiodrom.net/en/special-edition-reviews/104-ethernet-rj-45-cables-shootout

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46064&page=2

So, how there is difference in these cables? No idea. Could be many things from conductor materials, insulation to noise reduction techniques. As I said, I literally have no interest, for me it’s about the sound and the tunes, and changing the cables made it better, for me. So, I won. Others that have interest, and spend sometime with network cables and a good ear/system can probably enjoy the same benefits, those can't can't/won't/have expectational bias, will not. Does this matter? No not really, each to their own. No one needs saving from how they spend their money and if its enjoyable, why would one mock, just enjoy the tunes.

SetUp

Pathos Inpol 2 Remix
Q Acoustics Concept 300
Lumin D2
Qnap 453DX
Netgear Switch
all wired with Mogami cables
----being blessed with ears made from unicorn tears, I am able to hear what many can’t because I am a true Hifi Super Hero.........Professional Dominatrix to the rich and famous in London with a client list that would surprise and shock-----

I stopped reading after that...hate unnecessary capitalization....and superhero is generally one word. Is "professional dominatrix" an actual profession or more of an avocation? Perhaps a license or a certification is required... More likely, this is author's "poetic" license, that he thought would "appeal" to the largely male audiophile audience.

But content does show up as recycled:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/136865-ethernet-cable-shoot-out-–-shunyata-audioquest-supra-viablue-ugreen/

However, if some are concerned about Ethernet cable affecting their system's sound quality, a nearly free, fully galvanically isolated alternative is readily available - it's called Wifi. I think this was already helpfully suggested on another thread.

Last edited:
It removed a portion of that ‘tschh tchsh’ crashy harshness and generally made everything less ‘immediate’ and more ‘fluid’.

I got as far as this in your opening paragraph before forming an opinion, thank you for this as there’s no reason to waste further time reading through the post, I guess you also have the most wonderful acoustically treated room in which to listen to your system and cables.

I enjoyed the thread and writeup and read the first few pages. Stopped reading once it became a bun fight though.

Thanks Chronicals for the write-up. I enjoyed your presentation about your thoughts.

Clearly even the cheapest cables will ensure no bit errors, with which even most die-hard cable enthusiasts will agree. With regard to claims of second-order effects such as RF injection: If true these would be highly dependent on context such as the particular susceptibility of the chosen DAC, and RF emission in the local environment. So any subjective effects obtained with say cable X would vary wildly between different users and systems. They'd probably even vary every time the cable was pulled out or re-inserted. So even if occasionally some effects were detected, it would be meaningless to assign particular subjective attributes ("open", "smooth", "detailed" etc) to particular cables. So the notion of "reviewing" ethernet cables is a nonsense.

More succinctly - its b*ll*cks!

Been trying various Ethernet cables, got interested as was comparing the ex value Meicord (mrcu) I use to the audioquest vodka I bought s/h.
The vodka I found had a nasty forward hump in the lower mid bass that quickly made it uncomfortable to listen to, I later read a couple of online reviews that echoed this. Tbh I’ve now tried half a dozen audioquest cables and this flavour/tone is apparent in more than one cable, usb, optical and Ethernet. It gives music a exciting edge but quickly becomes a pain, similar effect to tq.
It’s shame meicord no longer made as was ex value. Bugger to route tho.
I’ve tried many usb and Ethernet brands, inc shunyata, tq silver, cardas, audioquest, tidal, supra, chord, and the type I settled on Ansuz.
The differences are shocking considering the ‘bits are bits’ attitude which should make sense. I found the materials used made a big difference, shunyata sound big expansive and coppery, cardas leaner and more nimble but still copper signature, tq silver fast lean shouty, chord Shawline lean and forward in upper mid bass, audioquest sounds processed and mechanical with masses of detail.
Chose ansuz as I felt it had least sound of its own, couldn’t spot alloy used, and it seemed to have a relaxed feel the others only got close too, ie cardas, but most lacked its assured nature, a very ‘present’ in the room sound.
Yes only for a few pockets, it took months to save up, but I’ve had the usb version for two years and found it to be invisible, aurally in use, in sense that it sounds as close as I could get to my analogue sources, so I can swap sources without a huge jump in presentation.
The chord entry level Ethernet cable (I use on tv) is a bit fuzzy at edges compared to much more expensive cables but is warm ,musical and I think in most cases would make most nerds happy, at cost it’s ex vfm.

Clearly even the cheapest cables will ensure no bit errors, with which even most die-hard cable enthusiasts will agree. ...
I wonder. One of the most puzzling things is that people who experience audio differences when swapping digital cables describe what they experience in analogue terms. Reporting some change in frequency response is common. More bass, more treble, mid-band emphasis etc.

But the amount of digital signal processing needed to change audio frequency response on a digital link without doing anything else that sounds nasty is rather more than you find in the average Ethernet cable.

People just hear differences when none exist, it's part of an old survival mechanism. Bears in the cave...

Been trying various Ethernet cables, got interested as was comparing the ex value Meicord (mrcu) I use to the audioquest vodka I bought s/h.
The vodka I found had a nasty forward hump in the lower mid bass that quickly made it uncomfortable to listen to, I later read a couple of online reviews that echoed this. Tbh I’ve now tried half a dozen audioquest cables and this flavour/tone is apparent in more than one cable, usb, optical and Ethernet. It gives music a exciting edge but quickly becomes a pain, similar effect to tq.
It’s shame meicord no longer made as was ex value. Bugger to route tho.
I’ve tried many usb and Ethernet brands, inc shunyata, tq silver, cardas, audioquest, tidal, supra, chord, and the type I settled on Ansuz.
The differences are shocking considering the ‘bits are bits’ attitude which should make sense. I found the materials used made a big difference, shunyata sound big expansive and coppery, cardas leaner and more nimble but still copper signature, tq silver fast lean shouty, chord Shawline lean and forward in upper mid bass, audioquest sounds processed and mechanical with masses of detail.
Chose ansuz as I felt it had least sound of its own, couldn’t spot alloy used, and it seemed to have a relaxed feel the others only got close too, ie cardas, but most lacked its assured nature, a very ‘present’ in the room sound.
Yes only for a few pockets, it took months to save up, but I’ve had the usb version for two years and found it to be invisible, aurally in use, in sense that it sounds as close as I could get to my analogue sources, so I can swap sources without a huge jump in presentation.
The chord entry level Ethernet cable (I use on tv) is a bit fuzzy at edges compared to much more expensive cables but is warm ,musical and I think in most cases would make most nerds happy, at cost it’s ex vfm.
So many words! Well, we certainly need words to express our experiences, even those which are not based in observable reality in any way.

We now know about your experiences. Bu we know nothing about the sound of the cables tested. You do not either.

advertisement

Back