advertisement

Ethernet Cable Shoot Out – Shunyata, AudioQuest, Supra, Viablue, Ugreen

<moderating>

I’m getting seriously annoyed with the dick-headery on both sides of this thread. There have been 20+ post reports in under 24 hours for this thread alone. Could I please ask that people stop wasting my time. The thread is what it is, if you don’t like it don’t reply to it.

PS If you report a post please don’t be such a bell-end as to reply to it, it only generates even more unnecessary work for the mod team!

I appreciate your comments.

The reality is, there are audible differences in the ethernet cables -

My only problem with any cable thread is simply illustrated in that quote.

In the above quote a statement of subjective fact is stated. Then in the quote below the justification of the subjective statement is given objectively.

how that happens, isn't really relevant to the original posting, and definitely dosent matter to me, as audio, for me, is the end point, so what I hear is what matters the most, .

I absolutely accept that you may hear a difference between ethernet cables but that doesn't then prove ipso facto that there is any difference.

The reality may be that there is no audible difference between ethernet cables.... and yet you and others claim to be able to discern a difference. I file that one under "What a wonderful world we live in " not "I am right and you are all trying to spoil it for me "

I presume that you are the person who is responsible for the majority of the reports to the mods on this thread ? Shouting people down and attempting to sterilise the thread does not necessarily make you right.

You dont get to start a thread and then dictate all the way through it how it should go. For that world you need to start your own website .

Last edited:
My only problem with any cable thread is simply illustrated in that quote.

In the above quote a statement of subjective fact is stated. Then in the quote below the justification of the subjective statement is given objectively.

I absolutely accept that you may hear a difference between ethernet cables but that doesn't then prove ipso facto that there is any difference.

The reality may be that there is no audible difference between ethernet cables.... and yet you and others claim to be able to discern a difference. I file that one under "What a wonderful world we live in " not "I am right and you are all trying to spoil at for me "

I presume that you are the person who is responsible for the majority of the reports to the mods on this thread ? Shouting people down and attempting to sterilise the thread does not necessarily make you right.

You dont get to start a thread and then dictate all the way through it how it should go. For that world you need to start your own website .

Thanks for your thoughts Joe, i respect the 'problem' you have with cable threads, but reading your subjectiveness of your post was a little weird considering your stance on such witchcraft.

Which cable did you find most interesting though?

It's just a review of some cables, any culled posts are those that try to divert it into the usual tit for tat repetitive objective/subjective arguments thats been done to death. I don't remove them myself, so I have no control or say in what posts stay and what go, so there is no dictation from me, in fact I would probably be the last person that Tony allows any 'dictation' from thats for sure!. Theres a heck of a lot of posts on this thread that have nothing of any structure or use in my opinion and also lots that I don't agree with myself personally, and they have stayed (when personally I would have removed them), so definitely can't see this dictation/censorship you claim. Was that a subjective opinion?

As you're writing on a 'personal' level, my reply on your level is that I feel you don't need to be such a hater, just accept its my own personal experience trying out these cables, and my thoughts offered to others that have interest. Nothing darker, nothing more complicated than that, just a bit of fun with the hobby. If it aint for you, it aint for you (Brexit threads on an audio forum aint for me for example, so I stay away from those) I'll be doing one with Linear Power Supplies and Active Noise Reducers soon!

So my advice to you, just sit back, chill out and be happy. If PFM is annoying you of late (judging by some of your recent posts on other threads about dictation and censorship etc), maybe use that own website idea?

Peace.

Always the passive aggressive BS .

Im just a nice, friendly guy but not one who's a walkover (thats the Scouser in me!), if you feel threatened by that, I understand and respect that, but as I said, peace out. Just a thread about some cables, nothing more, nothing less.

This is a troll thread and your frankly weird and obsessive behaviour over a members choice of name is bordering on stalking and intimidation.

You have responded to serious questions with rather childish or flippant answers that portray you as juvenile.

There is nothing serious about this thread beyond your attention seeking and shit stirring and probably in the best interests of everyone if it is locked and deleted asap.

This is a troll thread and your frankly weird and obsessive behaviour over a members choice of name is bordering on stalking and intimidation.

You have responded to serious questions with rather childish or flippant answers that portray you as juvenile.

There is nothing serious about this thread beyond your attention seeking and shit stirring and probably in the best interests of everyone if it is locked and deleted asap.

In your opinion...'everyone' is quite a large generalisation though. I guess you need evidence to support that for it to become 'objective'. Am I right in that understanding of objective? I know I get accused of not understanding this subjective/objective thing.

Asking a question where a username comes from is pretty fair , asking again if its not answered is pretty standard. Responding to questions - I've just ran back through the thread, and can't see any major issues with my responses to any serious, non argumentative questions? Maybe a little comical flare thrown in before a serious response sure. In fact . I've had a couple of good discussions and made a couple new friends! so its all good in my books.

You generally make these responses on most of my threads/posts, so its your 'norm' and is expected at some point. So its cool, you have the choice to write anywhere you like.

Juvenile? I think I am half your age?, so quite possibly, to you I could be.

If you do not feel the information in this thread is useful to you, totally get it, no need to read it and no need to try and have it removed so others that have enjoyed it cant read or be involved in it. Thats very crass in my opinion, and bordering on what Joe above was talking about regarding dictation.

Its just a cable thread, if you don't reply, it ends up as a standard solid personal experience based thread. Only when its disrupted by cyclic arguments do you feel it becomes negative, which you are part of that diversion quite regularly- but without wanting to single you out specifically, this is a common issue on PFM previously, especially with cable threads. Its a shame,but it is what it is.

I've been enjoying the thread and welcomed one member's well-written and amusing personal review of some cables. Where's the harm?

I do, though, find it hard to fathom why there is such animosity towards him (her?) and the subject matter and to the extent that someone now wants to lock and remove the thread entirely, claiming "it's in the best interests of everyone". Don't include me in your "everyone" classification.

I've been enjoying the thread and welcomed one member's well-written and amusing personal review of some cables. Where's the harm?

I do, though, find it hard to fathom why there is such animosity towards him (her?) and the subject matter and to the extent that someone now wants to lock and remove the thread entirely, claiming "it's in the best interests of everyone". Don't include me in your "everyone" classification.

It's my objective opinion.

In cable threads nobody is allowed to challenge objective opinions therefore what I said is accurate and wholly correct.

<moderating>

I’m getting seriously annoyed with the dick-headery on both sides of this thread. There have been 20+ post reports in under 24 hours for this thread alone. Could I please ask that people stop wasting my time. The thread is what it is, if you don’t like it don’t reply to it.

PS If you report a post please don’t be such a bell-end as to reply to it, it only generates even more unnecessary work for the mod team!

I don't get this reporting thing to moderators. I have never reported anything in my time on forums because quite frankly I can deal with it myself.

Occasionally you may want to advise the moderators that there is an issue with a particular thread which I would do via an open forum post, but to formally raise a report seems to me a bit secretive and overkill.

I am sure that Tony and his co-moderators have far more important things to do in life.

It is a very useful function as it can draw our attention to threads we were unaware were going off the rails. I usually very much welcome it, though it was being overused here.

Well the lazy so and so's have to do something to earn the title. Anyway, what on earth would they talk about over tea at home if 'we' didn't keep them amused occasionally?

Why not run a quick PFM poll, just to see what the general concensus amongst fish is? Proves b*****r all ofc, but at least offers opportunity to reference a statistic for the future's discussion:)
I'll try and do one if I can work out what the heck to ask.

In my experience (generic Cat 5 v 6 v 8) there are none to subtle differences.

As I use long lengths (5 and 3 meters respectively) - so I 'm not about to embark on expensive trials - (perhaps the Blue Jean cables are worth a punt?)

On another forum there is a (?) consensus that the switch makes a difference. I swapped my netgear for an Ebay Cisco 2960 - and was staggered by the difference.

A longer cable length from router to streamer (as many meters as one can afford) is preferred by some as well

advertisement

Back