advertisement

MacOS Catalina

Now lost 2 CF cards since upgrading. They can't be formatted in camera or be mounted on the Mac. The new OS must be doing something to the files. I'm going to have to go bak to Mojave ASAP.

Peed off now.
Have you tried diskutil? You may be able to format them to something your camera can use.

Cheers,

DV

Have you tried diskutil? You may be able to format them to something your camera can use.

Cheers,

DV
The card won’t mount or recognised by the camera. Exactly the same problem as the previous card. I’ve just replaced that costing me £27 and looks like I’ll be spending another £27. I’m not using the new cards until I’ve reverted back to Mojave. Never had this problem with an OS change before.

Just to add that I’m using an image browser app called Photomechanic, which might also be part of or the problem. It. It’s version 6 so obviously 64bit to work with the new OS. Like many other photographers this program has run for years on the Macs without a problem so I need to see who else might be having the same issues. Today’s failure cost me part of a shoot that luckily I was able to do again in part. Others jobs won’t give me that opportunity.

Just to add that I’m using an image browser app called Photomechanic, which might also be part of or the problem. It. It’s version 6 so obviously 64bit to work with the new OS. Like many other photographers this program has run for years on the Macs without a problem so I need to see who else might be having the same issues. Today’s failure cost me part of a shoot that luckily I was able to do again in part. Others jobs won’t give me that opportunity.
Do you by an chance use darktable? I see users are having problems with that. One reason I am waiting.

The card won’t mount or recognised by the camera. Exactly the same problem as the previous card. I’ve just replaced that costing me £27 and looks like I’ll be spending another £27. I’m not using the new cards until I’ve reverted back to Mojave. Never had this problem with an OS change before.
Have you actually tried the card with diskutil? Does it see it? If so you will be able to format it - try FAT32. BTW the card has to be unmounted in order for it to be formatted. Once you have a readable format the OS will mount the card.

Cheers,

DV

No matter how bad Catalina might be in its point zero form I don’t quite understand how it can actually brick an SD card! Surely all it can do is to fail to format it or fail to read it, i.e. stuff above the physical hardware level. I’m sure they’ll be recoverable from another OS/computer.

PS I take it the SD cards are legit? There are a heck of a lot of crappy Chinese fakes around which are just junk, e.g. loads of junk on eBay etc branded as Sandisk etc that is anything but, doesn’t meet the stated speed spec, and can just randomly fail.

No matter how bad Catalina might be in its point zero form I don’t quite understand how it can actually brick an SD card! Surely all it can do is to fail to format it or fail to read it, i.e. stuff above the physical hardware level. I’m sure they’ll be recoverable from another OS/computer.

PS I take it the SD cards are legit? There are a heck of a lot of crappy Chinese fakes around which are just junk, e.g. loads of junk on eBay etc branded as Sandisk etc that is anything but, doesn’t meet the stated speed spec, and can just randomly fail.

I’m using Sandisk Extreme Pro compact flash cards. I rely on these cards for work and they’re bullet proof. I’ve used Sandisk for the last 16 years so there’s no problems with them. I’ve had this set for 4 years and they’ve never let me down until this OS change.

Have you actually tried the card with diskutil? Does it see it? If so you will be able to format it - try FAT32. BTW the card has to be unmounted in order for it to be formatted. Once you have a readable format the OS will mount the card.

Cheers,

DV
Is diskutil a MAC OS app?

I’m using Sandisk Extreme Pro compact flash cards. I rely on these cards for work and they’re bullet proof. I’ve used Sandisk for the last 16 years so there’s no problems with them. I’ve had this set for 4 years and they’ve never let me down until this OS change.

If they are legitimate my guess is they will still be ok, it is just Catalina having some issue reading/writing to them. Can you try reformating them on a different machine?

Some SD card imaging programmes (Etcher, Apple Pi Baker) have been broken by the Catalina update.

Could be the same underlying issue? If so, at least things should start working again after a software update or two.

Some SD card imaging programmes (Etcher, Apple Pi Baker) have been broken by the Catalina update.

Could be the same underlying issue? If so, at least things should start working again after a software update or two.
That interesting because I had no problems with the early version of Catalina. I’ve no idea what Apple have done since to it to cause such f**k up for me at least.

I’ve used Sandisk for the last 16 years so there’s no problems with them. I’ve had this set for 4 years and they’ve never let me down until this OS change.

So have I and I periodically have cards go belly up (the same Sandisk ones). If you've used cards for 16 years and never had a problem, I'd say statistically you were way overdue for a few issues.

Does however seem a strange coincidence though. Stick em in a machine with a proper OS (Win10) and see if you can see them.

Is diskutil a MAC OS app?
Yes. In Finder - Applications>Utlities> Disk Utility.

Its best to fire up the utility first and then plug the card into the computer as then you'll see it appear and know that you can select the correct card. Format (erase in DU) and choose something like one of the FATs or whatever your camera recommends

Cheers,

DV

Yes. In Finder - Applications>Utlities> Disk Utility.

Its best to fire up the utility first and then plug the card into the computer as then you'll see it appear and know that you can select the correct card. Format (erase in DU) and choose something like one of the FATs or whatever your camera recommends

Cheers,

DV
I use Nikon and Leica they both are happy to format the as brand new FAT32 format. Try that first.

advertisement

Back