advertisement

Ethernet cables making a difference

My streamer is connected to the local network over Wi-Fi.
Before a serious listening session I always spray the listening room and the router room with a special conductivity spray.
It has a significant effect on the sound quality, but unfortunately it is my own mix and not for sale.

I'd buy that for a dollar

'i'd buy that for a dollar' was a line in an advert on tv that jeff goldblum saw thru a shop window in the film 'into the night' 34 yrs ago...always remember it. great film with michelle pfeiffer...the film had nowt to do with ethernet cables tho :)

Last night I had a wonder around the configuration of my 'streamer', an rPi and Mooode Player.

Found a setting for the MPD Encoder. It was set to mp3 with an option of Flac as an alternative. Changed to Flac lossless and lo the sound opened up. Great pleasure.

Interesting, I haven’t found that option. Could you be a bit more specific as to where you found it. Thanks

Suzy

Audio config.
Second section - MPD
Last option Encoder, just before Equalisers

Mine was set to LAME (MP3) so changed to FLAC then Restarted MPD

Seemed a bit more open, less compressed.

Suzy

Audio config.
Second section - MPD
Last option Encoder, just before Equalisers

Mine was set to LAME (MP3) so changed to FLAC then Restarted MPD

Seemed a bit more open, less compressed.

Oh.....don’t think I’ve notice that before ;) (Mine is set to OFF anyway) - I wonder what it does.

Do you think it would that apply to a SPDIF stream, which is what I’m using from my AlloDigiOneSig to my nDAC?

Some experimentation needed, methinks!

Suzy I use an i2s DAC which may affect the options there.

Got to be worth a play and cheaper than an ethernet cable.

I2S must be carrying linear PCM data. The choice of MP3 vs FLAC is earlier in the chain. Do you know what the MP3 bit rate is? Anything less than 192kbps is fairly easily audible compared to FLAC

I2S must be carrying linear PCM data. The choice of MP3 vs FLAC is earlier in the chain. Do you know what the MP3 bit rate is? Anything less than 192kbps is fairly easily audible compared to FLAC

Sorry no it does not indicate. But the possibility of the FLAC setting being less compressed would make an eager difference seeker hear an improvement.
This setting is for HTTP streaming only, basically if you want to run your own internet radio station, as described here http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1189

Thanks so I have been deluding myself into thinking I can hear a difference/improvement. The dangers of being a thinking hearer.

just done a revert of the FLAC/LAME setting and yes there is almost no difference. I was fooling myself, wishful thinking.

I say almost because unlike some (in fact the majority of the human race) my auditory memory is poor, can’t recall for a minute. Perhaps that is why I don’t hear much to shout about with digital connections, mains cables

The Naim thread I started this thread about has now enumerated the number of Naim members who hear ethernet cable differences. 14 mid week and two more added so 16.

I haven’t a clue of the total number of forum members but 16 seems a particularly small number. A select minority.

advertisement

Back