advertisement

Can I cry now? Just snapped the cantilever off My Benz Micro Gullwing

As an aside I let an Edinburgh dealer who shall remain nameless fit 300 odd quid Reson to my Xerxes, took it home, out of the box and the cantilever was at a 90% angle to the body. Lot of crap later and a few threats of violence, they got me a new one which I decided best to fit myself,lol

Contents insurance can work out; I suggest you factor in increased premiums over 2 or 3 years due to a claim...even with no claims protection. You'll likely come out ahead but not by that much after paying the excess.

Oh dear, yes that sucks.

I too have done it... on the first day of ownership of a new cart... ****!

I honestly have a recurring dream that I snap my Lyra Delos. I never thought I'd have hi-fi nightmares!
Commiserations Rosewind.

Sorry to hear that, Peter. As Tony said, it's rite of passage, but one I've yet to go through (touch wood!). All good advice above; re. insurance, if house contents cover is similar in Denmark to here, TV and audio are covered for acc. damage, almost regardless of comprehensive cover. Doubt you'd be penalised on future premiums for claims under (the equivalent of )£1000.

As mentioned, Benz may well help out directly here, and E.S.Co over here do a good trade in either refurbishment or exc. trade-in for another model or replacement.

Depending on the cart's mileage, I'd seriously think of this accident as an upgrade opportunity, possibly boosted by insurance funds. Good luck.

I was sober. Had just removed the platter so as to move my big hands freely to remove a layer of dust gathered. Snap!
House insurance is my first move. Then other options will be explored.
Happend to me with a Sumoko Pearwood Celebration catridge. Home insurance covers the cost of a replacement. It was our cleaner who broke it. Had to send photos a report on how it happend.

Last edited:
Naked Benz cartridges are lovely but an accident waiting to happen - I lost a Glider SL in just the same way and I suspect that most Gliders don't live to a ripe old age. A generous Benz trade-in through ESCo got me a new Wood SL but it was not as magical as the Glider, and nearly as vulnerable since there is no stylus guard.

Thanks for all the kind words. I will get in touch with the insurance company today to see what they say about it. The feeling right after you've snapped the cantilver off is a curious one - a mix of disbelief, horror and panic - "no, that did not just happen did it?" As I have a new turntable with a different arm, perhaps this will prove to be an opportunity. I hope so.

I have a Gullwing too, thankfully still intact. I did break a 103r I’d only had for a week many years ago though.

Sure I read somewhere the Gullwing has the most powerful magnets of any cart on the market. I did have a near miss once while setting it up. I wear a Leatherman Tread, which was suddenly and violently attracted to the cart, thankfully it stuck to the side and didn’t touch the stylus. The involuntary scream I let out was quite interesting..

Lesson learned though, nothing metal goes anywhere near it now.

I had my aurum beta repaired by Soundsmith in US...import duty on repair cost was €20

I also owned a Aurum Beta, with an uprated stylus and buckled the cantilever. I think this was also down to a tad of poor design with a very long cantilever.

Bloss

Wood SL but it was not as magical as the Glider, and nearly as vulnerable since there is no stylus guard.

Bit surprised about that; maybe the loading or gain requirement were different and not catered for ? GOOD POINT. Benz cart's don't come with stylus guard; a great oversight, i.m.o., although some on other cart's are useless for frequent use anyway.

Another thing about Benz cart's is that the stylus is only (i.m.e.) glued on; no slotting or other fixing; hence quite a lot of glue. Lovely cart's, though I've only owned the Ebony (1 below LPS).

The insurance company will cover it - repair at least, less 130£.
This is what the cart looks like in its cantileverless state + the poor, broken off ca-n-tilever:
Z5A7YGHl.jpg

MdIy2RHl.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch ...and as you say, there is that moment of disbelief and a mad moment of trying to work out if you can stick it back on.

I snagged my Dynavector 20XL with a duster while cleaning - took it clean off. I managed to get it covered by the house insurance: the extra premium payments over the next two years were about quarter the cost of a new Cart.

he poor, broken off catilever:

Good name for it as it certainly suffered a catastophe !

If your excess (strange amount) is that, push for a replacement or (and better) its value in currency of the realm. Insurance companies, by and large, know sweet Fanny Adams about audio. My knackered Roksan Shiraz in the nineties was simply reimbursed, I remember; went towards the new Orbe/Five/Clavis da Capo from the late John Michell

My big fingers trying to type on the smartphone is the real disaster here ...

A rebuild through Benz costs about half the price of a new cart. That is probably what the insurers are going to offer for my 51-month-old cart.

You cynic you. Do you buy expensive MM carts then? Or just inexpensive MC carts?

EDIT:
This was my first expensive cart after having owned - Ortofon MC200 (came with tt), Ortofon MC30 Super MK ii (bought s/h), Denon 103r (bought new) ...

advertisement

Back