advertisement

Can I cry now? Just snapped the cantilever off My Benz Micro Gullwing

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
Oh no. That did not happen. Yes it did. I was removing dust from my Thorens TD 147 Jubilee. Can I cry now?
How much is a rebuild if it is possible.

I was sober. Had just removed the platter so as to move my big hands freely to remove a layer of dust gathered. Snap!
House insurance is my first move. Then other options will be explored.

My sympathies! As Tony said, a rite of passage, alas. Hope your house insurance will cover it.

Let us know how you get on.

I did the same to a Benz wood, Benz were fantastic and arranged a generous deal on a new cart. This was a few years back but I'm sure they are still helping their hapless customers.

I'd give them a ring / send an email.

I did the same to a Decca Gold on a Syrinx PU2 - not stable at the best of times, but especially when you are pi**ed, as I was at the time.
And very pi**ed off afterwards!

My first was not too bad, back in 1986, a Shure MR stylus. It set me back £ 100 at the time.

Oh no. That did not happen. Yes it did. I was removing dust from my Thorens TD 147 Jubilee. Can I cry now?
E-mail Expert Stylus , they can give you nice discount on new cartridge if you trade-in your broken Benz or get quote for a repair

Ah shit, commiserations, hard to see a silver lining to that particular cloud, but you never know, hope it all works out ok in the end.

Once, I just said the words to my mate Mark:-
"I think I've killed my Troika!"
£500 down the pan; made me very careful from then on.

Time is a great healer, you'll get over it.

Commiserations but if your home insurance covers it and the cartridge has a thousand hours under its belt it might not be such a bad thing!

Once, I just said the words to my mate Mark:-
"I think I've killed my Troika!"
£500 down the pan; made me very careful from then on.

Time is a great healer, you'll get over it.

OMG how well I remember that mate - tragic and funny (your comic timing that is) at the same time!

Oh, it’s about £300+ for a rebuild - you can trade in a broken cartridge though (manufacture trade in that is), it doesn’t have to be working, so that may be an option.

I took a brand new Glider out of it's box, needed to put it down, on top of the phonostage methinks.
Not sure what was magnetic but flipped the cartridge over and broke the cantilever clean off! Thankfully I was buying
them by the half dozen at $200 a pop as opposed to the £660 here. Still was an ouch.

I took a brand new Glider out of it's box, needed to put it down, on top of the phonostage methinks.
Not sure what was magnetic but flipped the cartridge over and broke the cantilever clean off! Thankfully I was buying
them by the half dozen at $200 a pop as opposed to the £660 here. Still was an ouch.

The magnets in Gliders are indeed ridiculous, you need to be careful what you put near them whether that's tools for mounting them or near cases etc as they will drag something in at the blink of an eye.

advertisement

Back