advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if you want to indulge in cheap point scoring at a time of national crisis, the percentage of of LDs in favour is greater than the percentage of Labour MPs (based on FT figures). I tried a while ago to dial down my criticism of the LDs because the consequences of a hard Brexit and a five more years of far-right Tory rule are so catastrophic, but posts like this make it really difficult.

FWIW I’ll be amazed if Lamb votes against the LD whip, my bet is if he really is conflicted on this he’ll take the day off on health grounds (he has just had a pacemaker fitted after all). It would bring simply huge embarrassment to his party as unlike Labour they have been focussed and articulate on the Brexit issue for years. We’ve always expected a good number of Labour MPs to vote for it because gammon, but the LDs will never be able to live it down!

Forgive me as a foreigner for saying it - but having a look at the make-up of the HoC these days, and the divisions they have created out there in the electorate, it looks like you have many more decades worth of oiks coming along behind.. :)
Yes, it’s a giant Tory social engineering project to ensure they have plenty of poor people to Lord it over until the end of time.

FWIW I’ll be amazed if Lamb votes against the LD whip, my bet is if he really is conflicted on this he’ll take the day off on health grounds (he has just had a pacemaker fitted after all). It would bring simply huge embarrassment to his party as unlike Labour they have been focussed and articulate on the Brexit issue for years. We’ve always expected a good number of Labour MPs to vote for it because thick gammon, but the LDs will never be able to live it down!

Nice attempt at an excuse, how do you excuse Swinson's voting record, plastic bags for benefits, 10 years austerity for a bit of fame and dodging a Brexit vote to attend a homophobic dinner?

Given that Labour are whipping hard against the deal, I'd say that's harsh.

But if you want to indulge in cheap point scoring at a time of national crisis, the percentage of of LDs in favour is greater than the percentage of Labour MPs (based on FT figures). I tried a while ago to dial down my criticism of the LDs because the consequences of a hard Brexit and a five more years of far-right Tory rule are so catastrophic, but posts like this make it really difficult.

I truly believe the opposition parties and their supporters need to stop sniping at each other given the crisis we face.

Indeed, but their moment has passed I fear.

Quoting percentages of or small sample vs a significantly larger one is irrelevant by the way.

FWIW I’ll be amazed if Lamb votes against the LD whip, my bet is if he really is conflicted on this he’ll take the day off on health grounds (he has just had a pacemaker fitted after all). It would bring simply huge embarrassment to his party as unlike Labour they have been focussed and articulate on the Brexit issue for years. We’ve always expected a good number of Labour MPs to vote for it because gammon, but the LDs will never be able to live it down!

Never be able to live it down? Sure they will.

They’ve had plenty of practice. Tuition fees, jumping into bed with the Tories, making a right wing Tory their leader.

if a LibDem told me the grass was green I’d want a second opinion.

Never be able to live it down? Sure they will.

They’ve had plenty of practice. Tuition fees, jumping into bed with the Tories, making a right wing Tory their leader.

if a LibDem told me the grass was green I’d want a second opinion.

Yay, welcome back HB!

Not sure it’s been posted before but this from Martin Clunes is sheer poetry.

This is what he said:

“Arch-Tory-eurosceptic, Mark Francois, said he wouldn’t be buying Cameron’s memoirs because 'I went to the index, I went down to F & looked for my name & it wasn’t there.'

Should have looked under C, mate.”

Forgive me as a foreigner for saying it - but having a look at the make-up of the HoC these days, and the divisions they have created out there in the electorate, it looks like you have many more decades worth of oiks coming along behind.. :)
Thanks Alan for you observation that i do enjoy several bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale on Friday night.
Sadly the quality of said beer has diminished over time. When motor cycles were popular in the 1970s Westgate Road in Newcastle was the place to go on a Saterday afternoon, with at least half a dozen bike shops and the pleasant aroma of hops from the Newcastle Brewery.
Sadly The brewery is no more it was sent abroad, first to the Federation Brewery in Gateshead and then to Tadcaster in Yorkshire. There is a rumour that some canned Brown Ale is produced overseas in a Heinekin factory in the Netherlands (tastes dreadful). It is essential that Brown Ale is cooled in a fridge to an optimum temperature that is confirmed by the star on the back label turning from white to blue.

Robert Peston has changed his tune from last night. He’s now saying Johnson is f*kced. Letwin amendment is the killer blow according to The Pes.

How wonderful, Tory shit stabs bigger Tory shit.

They’re blessed with a uniquely credulous fan base, so they’ll be fine I’d have thought.

They’re blessed with a uniquely credulous fan base, so they’ll be fine I’d have thought.

Their base is folk who find both the Tories and Labour utterly bonkers and unelectable, so yes, they’ll do fine next election! Its a growth area!

Good to know that another of the vertically challenged ERG tossers has been won over. Noisy shortarse Corporal Francois is waving the white flag and voting for a deal that’s crappier than the deal that had him raging a few months ago. What a classy bloke.

Ahead of whatever happens today, for those blaming Labour for Brexit, let's just just note down the facts.

Brexit is a Tory project, not a Labour one. The Brexit enablers are the tory MPs put in Parliament by those who, by their vote in 2010, 2015 and 2017, helped enable a tory govt.

Don't forget, a referendum on EU membership was in the Tory manifesto in 2015. Helping enable a tory majority in that election was a vote for the referendum to happen, opening the door to where we are today. Brexit enablers are also those people who voted leave in that referendum.

As an added bonus, these people who helped enable brexit set in motion a 9 year savage attack on public services never before seen in this country. As a final kicker, these people will help enable the break up of the UK, which is likely to happen in the next few years.

So, well done to all those people. You've done a brilliant job of completely screwing the country.

I'm off to watch the rugby.

Ahead of whatever happens today, for those blaming Labour for Brexit, let's just just note down the facts.

Brexit is a Tory project, not a Labour one. The Brexit enablers are the tory MPs put in Parliament by those who, by their vote in 2010, 2015 and 2017, helped enable a tory govt.

Don't forget, a referendum on EU membership was in the Tory manifesto in 2015. Helping enable a tory majority in that election was a vote for the referendum to happen, opening the door to where we are today. Brexit enablers are also those people who voted leave in that referendum.

As an added bonus, these people who helped enable brexit set in motion a 9 year savage attack on public services never before seen in this country. As a final kicker, these people will help enable the break up of the UK, which is likely to happen in the next few years.

So, well done to all those people. You've done a brilliant job of completely screwing the country.

I'm off to watch the rugby.

Off to watch the rugby too. At the end of all that Brian, this vote is not only a vote for a deal that is worse than one they rejected. It's also widely seen as a vote to help Boris win a GE. I am stunned that any Labour MP, or many of any other stripe for that matter, could possibly vote for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back