advertisement

Glasses for jazz fans

Your choice in the 50s - no new design was permitted for well over 30 years in order to control costs apparently.

NHS-Glasses-Case-2-753x1024.jpg
I recently paid just over £200 in Vision Express for something like a pair of 422CJ in gunmetal grey !

Been wearing Lindberg titanium frames for a few years for normal glasses, and a no-brand fake tortoise shell frame my local shop sells for sun glasses. Plus, over the years, a couple of Persol sunglasses. All three have proved mechanically very strong, given the terrible way I treat them. Also decided to do without coated, anti-reflection, anti-scratch lenses, and just use the basic, cheap versions and change them them every couple of years when they get too badly scratched or chipped. A wise decision since my sight has changed quite a bit (for the better!) from age 58 onwards.

On another tack, does anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable when faced with someone wearing specs that aim to define a "special" personality? The theatrical kind that immediately spring to one's attention before even seeing the face behind, very big or very odd colours, odd shape and so on. There is a lady in my local post office who has a frame that is square on one eye and round on the other. I can't make myself look her in the eye. I know we all buy frames that we think look good (or cool or serious or sexy. etc.) What I mean are the one's for dramatic effect, that say "Hey, I'm creative!" (or "imaginative" or "different" or "something.")

Can't see the problem. It's like wearing fancy clothes. I used to know a guy who had a lime green drape length suit. He looked great. I would have looked a cock. However suits or glasses you can change anytime.

On another tack, does anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable when faced with someone wearing specs that aim to define a "special" personality? The theatrical kind that immediately spring to one's attention before even seeing the face behind, very big or very odd colours, odd shape and so on. There is a lady in my local post office who has a frame that is square on one eye and round on the other. I can't make myself look her in the eye. I know we all buy frames that we think look good (or cool or serious or sexy. etc.) What I mean are the one's for dramatic effect, that say "Hey, I'm creative!" (or "imaginative" or "different" or "something.")

The 80s big red frames might be up your street...

il_570xN.385661532_7wqr.jpg

I'm with you on this. And it' not just specs.

Disappointed that they don't offer a 'Bootsy'. I'd be up for them, for sure.

And I had C223 as a youth.

advertisement

Back