advertisement

I sold it and now I regret it...

Sometime in the ‘70s I sold my Sony TA1010 amplifier to buy a Rotel 610.
It had trendy slider controls.
Oh, what a bad move.

28441648104_3d03159750_b.jpg

Should have moved up to a TA-1140! Knobs, push-buttons, switches and sliders!

PS I still need to decide what to do with that one, it appears to work, but I only actually needed the tuner!

I remember you putting that system together, currently have active Ninkas in my main system, remarkable speaker in active form, quite capable of doing justice to amplification and sources at a much higher price point.

I should not whine. After all, it was my wife who allowed me to spend some "extra" money on the Naim Nac 252 / SC that I was offered at a very good price (+ Magnepans, Naim 202 + PSU) when a local dealer closed due to the financial crisis in 2008-2009. Later I went active with a little help from the Linn forum. The Ninkas sounded way more accomplished than they had any right to.

Re shiny silver and sliders and all: I remember owning an Apollo tuner and an integrated amp with equaliser - and the latter had a good many sliders.

Last edited:
My Naim Allaes, sold about 9 months ago when the SL2s arrived, but I should have kept them for my second system as the Ninkas I have just don't cut it for me.

A long time ago I owned a Crimson Electric 610/620 combo and would like to hear it again now - this is out of curiosity though and there wouldn’t be any point in actually owning it again as I’ve no interest in running a second system.

(Even though I do have a second turntable, a CD player, amplifier and choice of speakers, stands, cables etc. )

I parted with my Technics RS-B905 cassette deck yesterday as it wasn’t getting used more than a couple of hours a year. I set it up to test before dispatch and nearly kept it. Not quite as good sonically as my old Nak 480 but lots more 3 head touchy turny clicky things to play with and 80s flashing lights. It seems cassettes are getting “cool” again, I may regret that one more later.

I sold my Line Magnetic 518ia when my first kid was born thinking having super hot 845 tubes hanging around would be a bad idea.

little did I know that having kids would cut down on 95% of my listening time. I should’ve kept it...fav piece of gear I’ve ever owned

For me there are a couple of bits of kit that I wish I had kept (notwithstanding space and cost constraints at the time).... TDL Studio 1 speakers which for certain pieces of music sounded absolutely fantastic and nothing I have used since quite sounds the same... I guess the other piece of kit would be the Chord SPM800 power amp - again a great piece of kit. Fortunately for me when I came to sell both of them after 4-5 years of ownership I got back around 60-70% of the original price so can't complain too much....

Triangle Magellan Quatuors. Changed them for B&W 800D2’s when they came out. The extra bass depth won me over at demo. Regretted it from the day I received them. The Triangles are probably the best box speakers I’ve ever heard. The bigger models sound completely different from the lower models which can be a bit thin, although still very good.
They’re as rare as hens teeth so have never seen another pair come up.....

The only pieces of equipment I really regret selling are a Shindo Vosne-Romanee pre amp and an F2a Cortese power amp. I must have been absolutely crazy!!

I parted with my Technics RS-B905 cassette deck yesterday as it wasn’t getting used more than a couple of hours a year. I set it up to test before dispatch and nearly kept it. Not quite as good sonically as my old Nak 480 but lots more 3 head touchy turny clicky things to play with and 80s flashing lights. It seems cassettes are getting “cool” again, I may regret that one more later.
I traded in my beloved Nakamichi 1.5 in part-ex for some Naim kit about 20 years ago. I knew the Nak was a bit special, but I was desperate to climb the Naim ladder. I regretted it about a week later. The Pioneer CT-95 I bought to replace it just didn't sound as soulful.

We're now reunited again after a fortuitous encounter at a local auction site a year ago. I'm 99% certain it's my old Nak, and it is in mint condition. Cassettes are cool again for me.

For me probably a different type of regret. I was running a Plinius Hiato amplifier into Gamutt L7 speakers. For me this was “as good as it gets!”. Massive sound that totally filled the room.

Even had an “even my wife :rolleyes:” comment from a friend that said the band are in the room with us.

Moved to a new house and the system over excited the room (and neighbors) unless the volume was way down so they had to go. Now replaced with Dutch & Dutch 8c’s, which are fabulous speakers, but cannot match the scale of the previous system.

Not sold, but I left my Inca Tech Claymore 2 with a technician after he declared it unrepairable and I left a Leak Delta Turntable (Lenco GL75 in a very nice box) with my folks and it got lost/given away over the course of a couple of house moves. I also let go one of Richard Dunn's monster Tresham 3 box amplifiers after it died, when I'm sure it would have been an easy fix.

Only real regret was parting with a beautiful Garrard 401 around 10 years ago which I loved at the time.
It was a very very early one, serviced by Loricraft, with skeletal plinth and Hadcock unipivot...
Sounded superb.

I now have a heavily modified Lenco GL75 / Roksan Nima which I'm guessing won't be far off the 401 but it still hasn't got the same pride in ownership of the Garrard.

I do regret selling my lp12 which I'd picked up really cheaply (£150). It was an early non-fluted 'rosenut' model fitted with a Grace G707 tonearm, well setup & in very nice condition. I had a 401 itch to scratch which was fun but ultimately unsatisfactory due to the endless messing about I had with it. I also kind of regret selling an early Croft preamp called the 'integrated', it sounded better than anything else I'd ever tried and had an industrial charm.

Ah yes...I had an early croft valve pre and power once...yes I do regret selling them.

advertisement

Back