advertisement

I sold it and now I regret it...

realysm42

reMember
I’m asking this out of pure curiosity as I’ve read it so often on this forum (and never had the misfortune of doing this myself);

Why do people sell gear and end up regretting it?

Do you sell it knowing you’ll regret it later, or is it because you need quick cash, do you underestimate just what a great item you had until it’s gone (and expected to ‘upgrade’ with the replacement item)?

Nostalgia perhaps, or unfortunately people sometimes get into financially difficult times, or quite often you'll read that there partner or SWMBO didn't like the speakers then they get divorced......

I sold a Naim Nait amp for £80, if I had held onto it I could have sold it for £500 ( perhaps)

I’m asking this out of pure curiosity as I’ve read it so often on this forum (and never had the misfortune of doing this myself);

Do you sell it knowing you’ll regret it later, or is it because you need quick cash, do you underestimate just what a great item you had until it’s gone (and expected to ‘upgrade’ with the replacement item)?

It's usually this one with me.

Naim DAC + XPS and EAR864 premp.

I wanted to try a DAC with a remote controlled volume control, and so bought a Bel Canto DAC3.5. The inbuilt volume control was NOT up to the job and so also bought a Bel Canto pre. This gave me the remote volume control. As good as this was very much a sideways step. I should have just gone straight to an EAR868 ....which is where I ended up after selling the Bel Canto gear.

For me is is down to realising I just prefer vintage kit to modern from a sonic, aesthetic design and attitude perspective, plus wanting to revisit a few bits and pieces I owned decades ago and really enjoyed despite knowing far less about setup/installation etc than I do now. Examples in current use are my JR149s and Quad 303, both of which I first owned way back in the late-’70s when I originally became interested in audio as a teenager. Digital sources are the only real recent developments to my mind, the rest peaked decades ago!

Nope. Sorry about the odd bit that died and for which no parts are available, my Infinity Prelude MTS at the top of that, fortunately, short list.

Sold a non-working Audio Research SP9 because it developed a fault and I thought it would cost a fortune for Absolute Sound to repair. This was well before I was a member here, now I'd send it to Jez to take a look at.

Quad 44/405, ironically part ex'd when I bought the SP9. I've bought a 405 since, but not the 44 so far.

Perhaps some realise that the grass isn't always greener? Sell something that they think they aren't entirely happy with, or are happy with but simply think that they can get even better, only to find that what they now have is no better, or maybe not even as good, as what they had?

do you underestimate just what a great item you had until it’s gone (and expected to ‘upgrade’ with the replacement item)?
Usually this one. In fact the only thing I really, really regretted selling was some speakers, I sold them to a mate because I had bought something "better". I bought them back from him a year later for what he'd paid, by which time they had gathered a few knocks. However I missed them and wanted them back. Having got them back I realised that the "better" item probably really was better, so I sold them finally for a good deal less. Ho hum.
I slightly regret selling a very very early LP12, a 1973 with the earliest serial number I've ever heard of. It had an SME 3009, as originally sold. I wanted to keep it as a museum piece but I already have too many TTs and I wouldn't have used it, I have better record decks. So it's gone, for very little money, and I hope it's still being used.

It's a psychological equation...on the one side there is the desire to keep and retain "pretty things" and on the other there is a pragmatic decision to de-clutter, sell for money (if needed) or simply the "do I really need it" thought.
Once there is an imbalance either way there is forward action.
Later comes the regret because the balancing factors have changed.

I sold my complete, besterest system I ever owned because of a combination of marriage and my (our) first owned house.
Fully active Exposure system, top of the line at the time with SBLs, TT, CD, add on AV the biz.
The whole lot was huge and took up significant space, completely impractical in the lounge of our new home. It was my own, unprompted decision, the proceeds of which purchased it's modest replacement and some new home "stuff".
It was the right decision at the time but still regretted mainly to never getting back to that level again and at today's prices doubt I will ever be able to justify the expenditure.

For me is is down to realising I just prefer vintage kit to modern from a sonic, aesthetic design and attitude perspective, plus wanting to revisit a few bits and pieces I owned decades ago and really enjoyed despite knowing far less about setup/installation etc than I do now. Examples in current use are my JR149s and Quad 303, both of which I first owned way back in the late-’70s when I originally became interested in audio as a teenager. Digital sources are the only real recent developments to my mind, the rest peaked decades ago!

Top answer Sir :cool:

Top answer Sir :cool:

I genuinely stand by it with the exception of digital sources, which I absolutely love and slot in so perfectly to a good classic system. I’d really not want to be without CD, SACD, computer audio etc, so I’m not “living in the past” at all, I just think the rest is such well established technology really the only things that have changed in recent decades is stuff has been made smaller, cheaper, harder to service and therefor more disposable. Not attributes I seek. My big regret is it took me far too long to realise this and I could have built a truly great vintage system such as I run now at bargain bucket prices way back in the ‘80s!

I genuinely stand by it with the exception of digital sources, which I absolutely love and slot in so perfectly to a good classic system. I’d really not want to be without CD, SACD, computer audio etc, so I’m not “living in the past” at all, I just think the rest is such well established technology really the only things that have changed in recent decades is stuff has been made smaller, cheaper, harder to service and therefor more disposable. Not attributes I seek. My big regret is it took me far too long to realise this and I could have built a truly great vintage system such as I run now at bargain bucket prices way back in the ‘80s!

I am R2R 8 track cassettes and Vinyl , My last option is Compomised Discs or digital ( if it works ) cant stand faffing

LP12 SE, sold because I needed cash, and whilst it’s hard to criticise my Rega for the money, it’s just not in the same ballpark as the LP12 and I’m finding myself streaming much more.

Naim Nac 252 + Supercap + active set-up with 2 x Nap 200 + Linn Tunebox + Linn Ninkas. I was talked into selling the Naim Nac 252 to sponsor a family holiday in the sun. If I had kept it, I would have been able to spend a lot more time listening to music rather than box swapping. But I am slowly getting there again.

I ’upgraded’ my Spendor SP2/2s to SP1/2s which provided a bit more, but sloppier bass. Turned out to be a definite downgrade.

About 12 years ago I sold my LP12/Armageddon/Aro/Troika/Prefix to finance new LP12/Aro etc. I now wish I had kept it to test Tiger Paw, Tangetine etc parts on. Would have been fun to see if I could have built a non-Linn LP to surpass my current LP12.
Best regards
Hans

Have bought old hifi I couldn't afford while being young (70s-mid 80s), the likes of Yamaha CA-1010, Sony V-FETs etc., JBLs, Sonabs and more or less all old Quad gear I could find, I have come to the conclusion that modern gear (Quad Elite, 909) is better.
Only vintage gear I still might lust for are NS1000Ms and the ESL-63 that I have owned, but upgraded to 988s. Still got a pair of Tannoy SGM10Bs at the ex' place, too, but she holds on to them.
Fun to mod and replace components, though. Since there are no new tape machines I still stick to A77 and a Nak.

Naim Nac 252 + Supercap + active set-up with 2 x Nap 200 + Linn Tunebox + Linn Ninkas. I was talked into selling the Naim Nac 252 to sponsor a family holiday in the sun. If I had kept it, I would have been able to spend a lot more time listening to music rather than box swapping. But I am slowly getting there again.
I remember you putting that system together, currently have active Ninkas in my main system, remarkable speaker in active form, quite capable of doing justice to amplification and sources at a much higher price point.

advertisement

Back