advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck can the Libs do when there are 19 or so on the Labour benches who will vote for the deal?!

PS Face it, Corbyn is never going to be the leader of anything. His very presence has lost any VoNC prospect. Also bare in mind that the SNP are now playing an entirely different game, their priority is now a GE as they suspect they can purge all Westminster parties from Scotland (with the exception of the Lib Dems who will likely hold the upper islands). They know they can wipe out Labour and Conservative if there is an election soon, and that is their clear goal.

Those 19 MPs (except maybe one or two of them) already voted against May's deal multiple times.

Johnson's deal is considerably worse than May's:

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1182595006382645249

And Johnson has made noises about rowing back on environmental protections and workers rights.

It's hard to see how Stephen Kinnock's wrecking crew could support it (unless they cynically use it as an opportunity to damage Labour and get rid of Corbyn).

The basic logic here is: the harder the Brexit, the more damaging it is for Labour to support it; conversely, the softer the Brexit, the more damaging it is for the Conservatives (because they will be outflanked in a GE by Brexit Inc.).

As for the VoNC, Swinson is playing political games to win more seats from the Conservatives in the GE; nowt wrong with that, but let's not pretend it's a principled position. Polly Toynbee gets it right in a recent piece: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...hnson-election-unpleasant-surprise-opposition.
Labour people may jibe at Jo Swinson’s behaviour. Why is she so rudely adamant that she would never back a Corbyn-led government, not even as interim? For the good reason that grown-up Labour supporters need to understand: the seats she can win are virtually all Tory ones and the soft Tory remainers she needs to woo would be frightened off if voting Lib Dem looked like a proxy Corbyn vote. She needs to be as brutally aggressive towards Labour as possible – and Labour people just have to suck it up: the only hope of Labour being the bigger party is for Swinson to win every Tory seat she can.

^ Latest polls suggest that while Tory numbers will be reduced in Scotland, they won't be wiped out, sadly. :(

According to the recent Panelbase survey, John Curtice 'calculates the SNP will win 48 seats - up from 35 at the 2017 general election - with the Scottish Tories falling from 13 to five, Labour from seven to one, and the Lib Dems rising from four to five'.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/1...als-support-scottish-independence-50-percent/
Most, if not all of the Tory manifesto for Scotland re fishing and agriculture turned out to be so much pish and this along with the departure of Ruth Davidson should be enough to swing the vote away from the...(sniggers)...Unionists. Yes folks, the Conservative and Unionist party have been the most divisive Westminster government for centuries.

Gutted I missed this gold first time round:

Just tried to buy two items from German ebay...got flagged up as "For tax reasons it is currently not possible to buy from this seller. We apologize for any inconvenience and recommend that you search for similar items from other sellers.{e66662-1034346x}"

Got to be brexit?

Are you feeling like a chump, chump?

Radio GaGa

Radio GaGa
?
I was willing to buy off krauts?
I voted brexshit so I had this coming to me?
I used German ebay, when I should have just demanded what I wanted as war reparation?

Ok that's long enough trying out the inside of your head...want decontaminating and out now, please.

?
I used German ebay, when I should have just demanded what I wanted as war reparation?

Ok that's long enough trying out the inside of your head...want decontaminating and out now, please.
I think it refers to a willingness to blame unrelated stuff on Brexit. In reality, UK has led the EU on a VAT compliance standard that ebay vendors have to adhere to if they want to sell into the UK. Uk was first to do it, Germany has just followed suit. It's completely unrelated to Brexit. So it will be more common to see this block regarding availability from overseas vendors for ebay buyers in UK and now Germany. Rest of EU is to follow suit. See this: https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/german-passes-marketplacevatliabilitylaws.html

In summary, your German ebay vendor may not have had his VAT compliance sorted out. He may have breached the VAT threshold in the UK and ebay has since blocked his sales into the UK.

I am going through the application process now. It's a pain, as you need more than just a VAT number to avoid ebay blocking sales into these markets. But it's nowt to do with Brexit.

ff1d1l:
'Just tried to buy two items from German ebay...got flagged up as "For tax reasons it is currently not possible to buy from this seller. We apologize for any inconvenience and recommend that you search for similar items from other sellers.{e66662-1034346x}'

Got to be brexit?'

S'funny. Just purchased a guitar from a retailer in Germany (contacted directly). Paid by bank transfer - guitar shipped over (VAT already paid) without fuss.

So, what are ebay up to with their 'tax reasons'?

ff1d1l:
'Just tried to buy two items from German ebay...got flagged up as "For tax reasons it is currently not possible to buy from this seller. We apologize for any inconvenience and recommend that you search for similar items from other sellers.{e66662-1034346x}'

Got to be brexit?'

S'funny. Just purchased a guitar from a retailer in Germany (contacted directly). Paid by bank transfer - guitar shipped over (VAT already paid) without fuss.

So, what are ebay up to with their 'tax reasons'?
A large number of ebay vendors have been selling over the international thresholds. It's not ebay, it's VAT departments trying to crack down, by pushing the responsibility onto ebay a bit more. I'm sure ebay would rather not get involved. But law says they now have to. In UK and Germany at least.

Rich, thanks for that. But just to be clear, are you saying that VAT on the amount that exceeds international thresholds has to be chased by ebay, or that ebay have been asked to pay it initially and then go chase their vendors for it? And this is what they are refusing to do?

Rich, thanks for that. But just to be clear, are you saying that VAT on the amount that exceeds international thresholds has to be chased by ebay, or that ebay have been asked to pay it initially and then go chase their vendors for it? And this is what they are refusing to do?
Eg, if I sell more than EUR100k from UK into Germany, I have hit the threshold for Germany. eBay will know from the sales figure. It is now eBay's duty to ensure I register for VAT in Germany or block further sales. Each country has different thresholds, eg EUR35k into France. It is a nightmare for foreign vendors as you have to do monthly vat declarations in every country where you hit the threshold and there is no English version. It is all in the native language. And there is no standard, so all the declarations require different numbers. It's one area where the EU should step in. I do VAT declarations and I have to pay 3 different accountants every month. I am not sure if eBay would have to pay the vat due if they continue to allow a vendor to sell after the threshold is reached. It might be the case, which is why it has been taken so seriously by them.

?

Advice: when in a hole, stop digging.

I have lived and worked in Germany and have nothing but admiration and fondness for the good folk of this proud and industrious nation.

Radio GaGa
Just use a VPN as you do with Netflix when travelling. Make the purchase, and then arrange shipping to the VPN location (Tuvalu?).
You’ll be able to visit your purchase from time to time. What’s not to like?
Copyright : Brexiteer solutions R us. Bloody Remoaners.

I think it refers to a willingness to blame unrelated stuff on Brexit. In reality, UK has led the EU on a VAT compliance standard that ebay vendors have to adhere to if they want to sell into the UK. Uk was first to do it, Germany has just followed suit. It's completely unrelated to Brexit. So it will be more common to see this block regarding availability from overseas vendors for ebay buyers in UK and now Germany. Rest of EU is to follow suit. See this: https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/german-passes-marketplacevatliabilitylaws.html

In summary, your German ebay vendor may not have had his VAT compliance sorted out. He may have breached the VAT threshold in the UK and ebay has since blocked his sales into the UK.

I am going through the application process now. It's a pain, as you need more than just a VAT number to avoid ebay blocking sales into these markets. But it's nowt to do with Brexit.
This VAT issue needs sorting if it interferes with the smooth working of the single market. Which we may be about to leave. Oh the irony!

Advice: when in a hole, stop digging.

I have lived and worked in Germany and have nothing but admiration and fondness for the good folk of this proud and industrious nation.
I see it differently, because of accounting. I feel properly stitched up here. I can only have a German company stamp my end of year accounts and only have a German company submit my VAT, unless I submit myself. And they wont submit anything unless the book keeping has been done by someone other than me, ie one of them. I can't find anyone for less than 85 euros per hour, or 85 cents per entry in the book keeping. So double that, as it is a double entry system. 1.70 per sale, plus 1.70 if it is refunded plus 1.70 in the VAT return. The sale might have been 20 euros. I have tried paying by hour and by transaction. But it does not add up either way.

I nearly went bust here when I arrived. I don't speak German so they were doing my VAT and my accounts...total annual cost on a first year turnover of 100,000 euros was 16,000 euros to the accountant. That left nothing in the kitty.

The stitch up occurs because nobody outside Germany is allowed to stamp accounts or VAT returns. This is not the case in UK. The accounting industry does not have such protectionist regulations. My vat return was costing 1000 per month on sales of less than 10,000. Consequently, I have had to mothball the German company and trade through a UK company, as foreign accountants are permitted to submit my VAT return in Germany, and an online company in London does it for 120 euros per month. Sales here are now up to 400,000 but I can still not afford a German accountant to do the VAT or the accounts. 10,000 could be saved if I could do the VAT myself. But they demand virtually a full set of accounts with each return. I simply don't have the time even after I have the language skills

I now spend about 1500 euros per year on German VAT returns and my UK chartered accountant charges £300 to check and submit my accounts to Companies House.

While this is a complaint, this is also a cry for help. I would prefer to trade through the German company, as eventually, they will come to me and tell me to stop trading through the UK company, I am sure. But the accounting rules are really tough, the German accountants are protected, and consequently the German accountants are ripping everybody off here. So I can see why people just try to get a job with a 'family' company or corporate here. Setting up a start-up from your bedroom ends up in you spending all your time on accounting. They are all more highly trained at college in accounts than we are, so there is some advantage. But from my discussions with other companies here, you are not going to get away with less than 3,000 euros for end of year accounts, whatever your size. And I'm paying 300 quid in the UK!

I see it differently, because of accounting. I feel properly stitched up here. I can only have a German company stamp my end of year accounts and only have a German company submit my VAT, unless I submit myself. And they wont submit anything unless the book keeping has been done by someone other than me, ie one of them. I can't find anyone for less than 85 euros per hour, or 85 cents per entry in the book keeping. So double that, as it is a double entry system. 1.70 per sale, plus 1.70 if it is refunded plus 1.70 in the VAT return. The sale might have been 20 euros. I have tried paying by hour and by transaction. But it does not add up either way.

I nearly went bust here when I arrived. I don't speak German so they were doing my VAT and my accounts...total annual cost on a first year turnover of 100,000 euros was 16,000 euros to the accountant. That left nothing in the kitty.

The stitch up occurs because nobody outside Germany is allowed to stamp accounts or VAT returns. This is not the case in UK. The accounting industry does not have such protectionist regulations. My vat return was costing 1000 per month on sales of less than 10,000. Consequently, I have had to mothball the German company and trade through a UK company, as foreign accountants are permitted to submit my VAT return in Germany, and an online company in London does it for 120 euros per month. Sales here are now up to 400,000 but I can still not afford a German accountant to do the VAT or the accounts. 10,000 could be saved if I could do the VAT myself. But they demand virtually a full set of accounts with each return. I simply don't have the time even after I have the language skills

I now spend about 1500 euros per year on German VAT returns and my UK chartered accountant charges £300 to check and submit my accounts to Companies House.

While this is a complaint, this is also a cry for help. I would prefer to trade through the German company, as eventually, they will come to me and tell me to stop trading through the UK company, I am sure. But the accounting rules are really tough, the German accountants are protected, and consequently the German accountants are ripping everybody off here. So I can see why people just try to get a job with a 'family' company or corporate here. Setting up a start-up from your bedroom ends up in you spending all your time on accounting. They are all more highly trained at college in accounts than we are, so there is some advantage. But from my discussions with other companies here, you are not going to get away with less than 3,000 euros for end of year accounts, whatever your size. And I'm paying 300 quid in the UK!

So what you would like is some kind of closer union and harmonisation between the countries of Europe.

Oh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back