advertisement

Left-handed/Upside-down Guiness

If nitrogen or carbon dioxide, or any gas, sank in water, we'd all be in very serious trouble.
If any gas sank in Guinness, how would it get a head?

I would be pretty sure that the pattern on the inside surface of a glass of Guinness, as it settles, is an optical illusion due to the number and size of bubbles rising and liquid draining from the head.

Seems like the bubbles falling in a pint of Guinness has been seriously investigated and the explanation lies in the shape of the tumbler rather than the bubbles. Every day is a school day.

https://www.livescience.com/20731-mystery-guinness-stout-bubbles-solved.html

Yes and no - the bubbles on the inside surface of the glass do not sink but are carried down by the beer that is running back from the head, so my guess was very near the mark. Bubbles away from the glass surface rise, as they must do, as otherwise there'd be no head. Bubbles for sure, do not sink.

No mention of nitrogen...….. (I can't see any pub putting in nitrogen lines as well as carbon dioxide), every day...…………………....

16%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is a nice smooth drink that sounds very nice indeed, but not in pints...………………………..

16% is not even funny, when I worked in the alps we served a beer, I want to say Mutsig, or similar, at 9% that was ridiculous particularly at altitude, I dread to think what 16% would do, buts essentially 4 pints at once. Or I would guess nearly a bottle of wine in one glass.

I don't think so but Guinness do have a bit of a right wing history so who knows.

Rupert Guiness was MP for South-East Essex then Southend from 1912 to 1927. When he succeeded his father as 2nd Earl of Iveagh, his wife, Gwedolen Guiness, Countess of Iveagh won the seat and held it until she retired in 1935. She was succeeded by the lively Henry 'Chips' Channon, her son-in-law, who represented Southend and then Southend West until his death in 1958. He was replaced by his son, Paul Channon, who held it until his retirement in 1997. According to his Telegraph obituary, when he was selected for the seat Paul Channon's grandmother Lady Iveagh, the former MP, congratulated the voters of Southend for "backing a colt when you know the stable he was trained in".

Can't stand Guinness - either the beer or the way the marketing cynically and incessantly tries to tie in Ireland/Irishness with their foul concoction :)

Yes and no - the bubbles on the inside surface of the glass do not sink but are carried down by the beer that is running back from the head, so my guess was very near the mark. Bubbles away from the glass surface rise, as they must do, as otherwise there'd be no head. Bubbles for sure, do not sink.

nerd mode on>
(If memory serves correct from my engineering days.. there are two major types of bubbles
(i) those with one surface - as with a gas contained wholly in a liquid
(ii) those with two surfaces - 'membrane bubbles' with a gas contained within a liquid membrane sitting within another gaseous medium

The latter can and do sink, as 2 minutes spent in the company of a child with an appropriately loaded bubble gun will amply demonstrate

off>

:)

(If memory serves correct from my engineering days.. there are two major types of bubbles
(i) those with one surface - as with a gas contained wholly in a liquid
(ii) those with two surfaces - 'membrane bubbles' with a gas contained within a liquid membrane sitting within another gaseous medium

The latter can and do sink, as 2 minutes spent in the company of a child with an appropriately loaded bubble gun will amply demonstrate

off>

:)

Membrane (air/soap) bubbles sink in air for two reasons - the weight of the soap/water film and because the film is in tension, so compressing the entrained gas. The whole thing is less dense than air, so sinks. Blow them with helium or hydrogen, they'll rise, blow them with xenon and they'll drop like a stone.

But then I wasn't referring to bubbles anywhere but in Guinness/any liquid. :)

A lot of people have great difficulty understanding the two types of bubbles. If I had £ for every time that I have been told that you can degas a liquid by bursting the bubbles..................

16% is not even funny, when I worked in the alps we served a beer, I want to say Mutsig, or similar, at 9% that was ridiculous particularly at altitude, I dread to think what 16% would do, buts essentially 4 pints at once. Or I would guess nearly a bottle of wine in one glass.

I regularly partake in a few Belgian quads between 12-13%, they're lovely. With a really good one there's no sense of the alcohol content, it's only shit like special brew, tennents super and other tramp killers that give high ABV beers a bad rep.

A lot of people have great difficulty understanding the two types of bubbles. If I had £ for every time that I have been told that you can degas a liquid by bursting the bubbles..................

Ironically you can degas a liquid by passing another gas (helium) through it.

I'd love to see you propose that industrially ;) :)

Just because its small scale, does not make it not industrial. ;-)

I believe vacuum degassing is the thing large scale although it has taken over from most helium degassing at analytical scale as well due to the cost and availability of helium.

There is very little that is small scale and industrial, not even medicines in the main, where batches of very many kilos or even tons are normal. I suspect that you are talking dissolved gasses?
The simplest way to degas dissolved gas is heat, if that is permissible.
The simplest way to de-bubble liquids is to flow them in a shallow layer, over a weir. Done right, the bubbles will be so near to the surface that they will get to the surface and be lost. I have only seen one glass furnace, making soft/soda-lime glass, the actual furnace itself being about the size of at least 3-4 very large two-storey terraced houses - that degassed the molten glass over a weir, which fed immediately to the mandrel, which formed the tube being made.

^ It's the only beer - in fact, recreational alcohol of any kind - that ever gave me a cartoon style spitting headache hangover and intolerance for loud noises the morning after. I don't know why anybody drinks the abomination :eek:

Foams are interesting in foodstuffs. When you get air/oil/water foams and emulsions they can be both interesting and troublesome. They just won't break when you want them to. This is on products where the emulsion splits for a pastime when you don't want it to. Introduce air and it turns into ice cream and it's as stable as hell. I had some salad dressing that was misbehaving, turned out to be unwanted air entrainment. I took the reject material home to eat it, after all it was perfectly edible. Only snag was that it set up in the bottle and you had to dig it out. 18 months on it was out of date but still set solid, and I was tired of putting brown sludge on my lettuce so I threw it out.

advertisement

Back