advertisement

Sony TA-F870ES from 1991. Any good?

Well I don’t know where Mike P is located but I’d imagine he’s your man for this one, he knows a lot above this era of Sony ES gear.

I’ve recently been encountering an issue with the amp as one channel (right) fades and even cuts out. I loaned a CD player to confirm whether the phono input was the problem, or whether the fault lay somewhere else. Plugging in the CDP confirmed all was fine with the line level inputs. The problem is therefore the MC phono input.

This raises the question of whether to look for an external phono and by pass the fault, or get the fault sorted. I don’t know who could take this ‘repair’ on should I decide to get the repair done. Should I move the amp on at some point, I wouldn’t want to sell knowing there was a fault.

The amp is heavy at 24kg, so shipping to/from any repair will be quite costly. I’m located near Ludlow in shropshire. Can anyone recommend someone who can repair this phono issue. Ideally within reasonable travelling distance.

Many thanks
Peter

Hi Peter,

IIRC underneath the flip-down panel on the right hand side is the MC/MM rotary selector switch. Give this a bit of 'exercise' back and forth a few times.

If that doesn't do it take the cover/lid off. The PCB to the right of the heatsink is the phonostage. On this PCB you'll see a switch in the centre which is operated remotely by the MM/MC selector switch on the front panel. Give the switch a little spray of contact cleaner and exercise the switch again. Note that it's pointless spraying the knob on the front panel with contact cleaner, the actual switch contacts are on the phonostage PCB.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

IIRC underneath the flip-down panel on the right hand side is the MC/MM rotary selector switch. Give this a bit of 'exercise' back and fourth a few times.

If that doesn't do it take the cover/lid off. The PCB to the right of the heatsink is the phonostage. On this PCB you'll see a switch in the centre which is operated remotely by the MM/MC selector switch on the front panel. Give the switch a little spray of contact cleaner and exercise the switch again. Note that it's pointless spraying the knob on the front panel with contact cleaner, the actual switch contacts are on the phonostage PCB.

Many thanks Mike. Will give it a try.

Peter

Well you definitely won't be posting in this thread regards the Sony being :Dhttps://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/the-worst-sounding-piece-of-kit-youve-owned.230071/
I was a little disappointed that the amp wouldn't accept banana plugs but the loudspeaker sockets are sound! gets a proper grip on the cable and you can give them plenty of welly when you tighten them up.

Regards
Ray

Ray I think you will find the binding posts have small removable plugs that you pop out and then you can use banana plugs , I use them on my 2 770ES Sony's

I’ve rotated the switch several times, but the issue persists. I’ll get some contact cleaner and try that. The volume makes some noise when rotated, so that needs cleaning too. Switch cleaner should be with me by Saturday.

Thanks again.
Peter

I’ve rotated the switch several times, but the issue persists. I’ll get some contact cleaner and try that. The volume makes some noise when rotated, so that needs cleaning too. Switch cleaner should be with me by Saturday.

Thanks again.
Peter
I have a similar ongoing problem with line inputs on my 770ES which I clear by switching the Direct Input switch under the flap to and fro a few times, which always works. So far I have been too lazy to clean the switch contacts. I realize that you say your line inputs are fine, but you never know... and one day someone might search here and find it useful info.

Ray I think you will find the binding posts have small removable plugs that you pop out and then you can use banana plugs , I use them on my 2 770ES Sony's

Annoyingly, mine doesn’t!

I have a similar ongoing problem with line inputs on my 770ES which I clear by switching the Direct Input switch under the flap to and fro a few times, which always clears it. So far I have been too lazy to clean it. I realize that you say your line inputs are fine, but you never know... and one day someone might search here and find it useful info.

All advice is good advice :cool:

Switch cleaner arrived today. Will make time to get the bonnet off and clean accordingly. Will feed back the results.

Opened up the Sony and sprayed the appropriate parts (noisy volume control and MC phono stage fading/cutting out on right channel). Put it all back together and, hey presto, both volume control and phono stage are working perfectly.

I’d just like to thank contributors to this thread, and in particular, Mike P for his helpful (and dosh saving) advice.

One very happy 870ES owner listening to my half speed mastered copy of Dire Straits. Sounds superb.

Peter

PS my speaker binding posts don’t have the removable caps facilitating the use of 4mm speaker plugs unfortunately. Although it’s possible to push the plugs in where the bare cable should go (as already mentioned further back).

The plugs look like they wont come out but they do unless they are completly different on the 870 , Try with a tiny electrical screwdriver

Sorry to bring this back to life again. Frustratingly, the phono stage has reverted to its old habit of (partially) failing on the right channel. Without repeating what has already gone, I think I must accept that the phono stage needs fixing. Or I need an external phono to use through one of the line level inputs.

When the amp briefly functioned correctly, it sounded very good. So I’m tempted to get the internal phono stage sorted. Makes more sense should I decide to sell the amp. Not likely, but it’s good to keep options open. Can anyone recommend where it could go for repair. I did think of Arkless Electronics would be an option, but can’t seem to find a way of initiating a conversation (because he’s trade?).
Peter

Sorry to bring this back to life again. Frustratingly, the phono stage has reverted to its old habit of (partially) failing on the right channel. Without repeating what has already gone, I think I must accept that the phono stage needs fixing. Or I need an external phono to use through one of the line level inputs.

When the amp briefly functioned correctly, it sounded very good. So I’m tempted to get the internal phono stage sorted. Makes more sense should I decide to sell the amp. Not likely, but it’s good to keep options open. Can anyone recommend where it could go for repair. I did think of Arkless Electronics would be an option, but can’t seem to find a way of initiating a conversation (because he’s trade?).
Peter

I think @Arkless Electronics might be on “holiday” from the forum at the moment...

When the amp briefly functioned correctly, it sounded very good.

Bit of a wild guess, but if your switch cleaner worked, and later one channel failed, is it poss. that the gunk (partially?) removed has moved/migrated ? It's worth repeating your cleaning schedule, because it costs nothing, and it may have needed a bit more cleaning than one attempt. Nothing to lose, i.m.o.

advertisement

Back