advertisement

Way to go Greta

I'm strongly for anti fascist protest, but I dead against using violence to achieve this.

the only thing antifa has achieved so far is allow fox news people to rant about the unhinged left using violence to suppress speech.

antifa seems focused on the very tiny, impotent group of people who are overt white supremacists. meanwhile, we have totalitarian corporations like amazon, google, facebook and apple running the real fascist show.

antifa seems focused on the very tiny, impotent group of people who are overt white supremacists. meanwhile, we have totalitarian corporations like amazon, google, facebook and apple running the real fascist show.

LOL! In other news: privileged white academic bubble occupier effectively dismisses Charlottesville, Black Lives Matter and the entire civil rights movement! If you stepped out of your own safe space for a minute you might notice people regularly get killed because of the oppression Antifa etc align against worldwide. It is rather more than a purchasing or employment choice!

PS Only a week ago you were actively recommending Amazon’s server hosting services and indicating you were a customer. I assume you were doing that typing on your Apple keyboard...

LOL! In other news: privileged white academic bubble occupier effectively dismisses Charlottesville, Black Lives Matter and the entire civil rights movement!

ffs-- you don't seem capable of rational discussion, just character attacks. you didn't address the specific issues i raised.

the violent confrontations of antifa (the ones we hear of) are typically directed agaisnt a TINY, unimportant group of idiots. it is a spectacle meant to show off one's goodness and, perhaps for some, a great excuse to bust a few heads. just the fact that it is non a peaceful movement goes against core principles of civil rights activism. many on the left, such as chris hedges, are opposed to antifa on this basis.

for those interested, here is an interview hedges did a while ago with the author of "Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook":

the violent confrontations of antifa (the ones we hear of) are typically directed agaisnt a TINY, unimportant group of idiots. it is a spectacle meant to show off one's goodness and, perhaps for some, a great excuse to bust a few heads. just the fact that it is non a peaceful movement goes against core principles of civil rights activism. many on the left, such as chris hedges, are opposed to antifa on this basis.

Again I suspect you are just so distanced from it that you don’t even understand the question. I live in an area with a very high Asian/Muslim population and we have had the fascist far-right (EDL etc) trying to cause a lot of violence, damage and destruction here. Before this I was deeply immersed in the arts and music counterculture in other parts of the country and several gay or just unusual looking friends were beaten up by exactly the same type of thugs. I have seen this shit up close.

It is a global thing; black folk in the USA getting routinely shot by police for minor offences, LGBT folk regularly beaten to death in Russia etc etc. Trying to equate the violent far-right to Facebook, Google etc (a simple consumer choice) makes you look worse than an idiot. It really does.

PS I notice your response is to link to a video on Google’s YouTube subsidiary, a video paid for by Dictator Putin FFS!

It is a global thing; black folk in the USA getting routinely shot by police for minor offences, LGBT folk regularly beaten to death in Russia etc etc.

how does fighting with white-supremacists on the street solve or help all that? antifa has mainly made a very negative PR impact.

PS I notice your response is to link to a video on Google’s YouTube subsidiary, a video paid for by Dictator Putin FFS!

it's interview of the guy representing the movement your are supporting. if he's not convinced you, i don't think it's anything to do with vladimir putin.

p.s. yeah, i use amazon web services. i run software services in health care and that's the only government-approved option i have, aside from microsoft azure. and yes, i use youtube. not to mention other awful things. the problem is that these monopolies often leave us with no choice. i would rather have alternatives, but that can only be achieved collectively and i'm glad to participate in that struggle. if warren or sanders get elected, we may see some big things on the big tech front, though i suspect the senate will have to be won, as well, at some point during their presidency.

with corporate stuff like food and clothing, where i can make extreme ethical choices on my own and still live relatively normally, i do that. for example, unless i am in a socially situation where it would be rude, i NEVER ever frequent a fast food restaurant or a coffee shop like starbucks. i rarely buy anything online and am glad to pay more at a local shop. i also don't own a car and only use one (as driver or passenger) a handful of times a year. almost everything is by bike or on foot, with public transportation as fallback in situations of extreme weather.

how does fighting with white-supremacists on the street solve or help all that? antifa has mainly made a very negative PR impact.

I don’t agree at all. Taking to the streets to show solidarity with and even actively protecting minorities is always a good look. Turning a blind eye far less so.

with corporate stuff like food and clothing, where i can make extreme ethical choices on my own and still live relatively normally, i do that. for example, unless i am in a socially situation where it would be rude, i NEVER ever frequent a fast food restaurant or a coffee shop like starbucks. i rarely buy anything online and am glad to pay more at a local shop. i also don't own a car and only use one (as driver or passenger) a handful of times a year. almost everything is by bike or on foot, with public transportation as fallback in situations of extreme weather.

Do you still eat meat? That is the big one. If you really have strong political views go vegan. Far more important than snidely mouthing off at successful companies you still use.

I didn’t view your videos as I boycott RT. Putin is dictator who violently crushes political opposition, imprisons journalists, turns a blind eye to gay-bashing, religious persecution etc. I just won’t watch it and look down at any so called leftists who cowardly accept it as a platform rather than creating their own. If I can create a social media platform I see no reason why anyone else can’t!

PS FWIW I do have issues with both Youtube and Facebook, but likely from the opposite perspective to you. I would like to see them better censor so fascists, racists, homophobes etc can’t use them to peddle their bile. I also have issue with the way more mainstream political entities seem able to abuse them via data-mining, direct marketing etc (e.g. Cambridge Analytica etc). I have absolutely no issue with their success and I would far prefer them to decide to better self-moderate this sort of content and behaviour than have it dictated by individual nation states. Their being global is one of their biggest advantages IMHO.

PS FWIW I do have issues with both Youtube and Facebook, but likely from the opposite perspective to you. I would like to see them better censor so fascists, racists, homophobes etc can’t use them to peddle their bile.
Have you thought this through?

Marky,

Not where I live. Mainly lazy geese here.

I8GU09H.jpg

Joe

Untitled goose game has become a sort of a mascot for new young radicalised anarchists, hard (armed) leftists and antifascists. (The real kind, not the posturing kind that think you can fight off a grown ass armed nazi with a hardback copy of Chomsky and a video of some white-bread academics sitting around a pointless coffee table talking philosophy).

EGBVEIvXUAAtdYG

Putin said: “No one has explained to Greta that the modern world is complex and different and ... people in Africa or in many Asian countries want to live at the same wealth level as in Sweden.”

If Global warming is unchecked, then ultimately everyone will

Presidents, prime ministers, bidnit leaders, etc.: “Shouldn’t you thinking about the poor, Greta?”

Greta: “I am”

Apologies to Bones and Mr. Spock, tomorrow is yesterday.

Joe

Putin said: “No one has explained to Greta that the modern world is complex and different and ... people in Africa or in many Asian countries want to live at the same wealth level as in Sweden.”

If Global warming is unchecked, then ultimately everyone will

This lastpara is particularly true - as is the reality that if world population double s in next 50 years, as it has since 1960, then the problem increases exponentially, given finite resources needed to ‘share’ with all.

A very sobering possibility.

advertisement

Back