advertisement

Shoebox Naits

FWIW, a couple of quotes from Naim's two Olive brochures:-

"The 52 is a no compromise preamplifier intended to provide the finest available sound, for use with the best possible sources."
"(the 52) will provide the finest and most musical performance available when used with the best possible source components"

All to do with system hierarchy, of course, which Naim were (are?) major advocates, but that seems, to some at least, rather 'unfashionable' these days.

However, ultimately, all that matters is what the individual thinks, and you seem to have found your preferred combo! :cool: :)

It all depends on how wide you open the window, and what you look out upon...

I really liked the Naim Nait I owned years ago, I only used the TT input, speakers were Heybrook HB1.
Sold it for £80 !

I really liked the Naim Nait I owned years ago, I only used the TT input, speakers were Heybrook HB1.
Sold it for £80 !

My first CB Nait 2 cost me £150 on a well=known auction site. I sold it for £500 four years later...

The 3 seems like a pretty good VFM proposition at the moment, and while it is an almost oddly propulsive and fun amp, it lacks the cute factor and is (to my ears) much more coloured.

My first CB Nait 2 cost me £150 on a well=known auction site. I sold it for £500 four years later...

The 3 seems like a pretty good VFM proposition at the moment, and while it is an almost oddly propulsive and fun amp, it lacks the cute factor and is (to my ears) much more coloured.

I heard the 3 with a Naim CD player sometime in the 90's , I don't remember the speakers, probably Linn, I didn't like it at all, though I loved the Nait with a record player

The Nait3 was a big(ger) box system in one box and lacked the sheer enjoyment that the shoeboxes have. I've always said the 1 and 2 were far greater than the sum of their parts - every single component that could be removed, was.

I heard the 3 with a Naim CD player sometime in the 90's , I don't remember the speakers, probably Linn, I didn't like it at all.
Me too. I think the one I heard was a 3R, in about 1997. I was looking for a replacement for the Pioneer A400, which was the magazines' darling at the time and really not great in real life. I preferred the Exposure (2010?) integrated to the Naim, all day. The Linn Intek was horrible, the Audiolab 4000/8000 not much better, then I heard a mate's battered Quad 33-303. Now you're talking. £100 and a month later, I'd found my own pair and the die was cast.

Me too. I think the one I heard was a 3R, in about 1997. I was looking for a replacement for the Pioneer A400, which was the magazines' darling at the time and really not great in real life. I preferred the Exposure (2010?) integrated to the Naim, all day. The Linn Intek was horrible, the Audiolab 4000/8000 not much better, then I heard a mate's battered Quad 33-303. Now you're talking. £100 and a month later, I'd found my own pair and the die was cast.

A similar experience, didn't like the Linn, Audiolab or Naim systems, I ended up with a Unsion Research Simply four which I used for about 15 years

Funny the exact same day, back thirty years ago, I came to know and first listen at both a Nait 2, Linn Kan and the lovely Ion Obelisk 2 with some Royds.

Both amps were amazingly great ++ fronted by LP12.
it made me sell my very expensive tube/valve setup afterwards.

For many years thereafter, I ran Nait's with Kaber, ES14/11 plus various Royd 7L.

I have two systems one centred on a Nait 2 (olive) and the other centred on a Nait 3

The Nait 2 based system is my "main" system

Front end for the Nait 2 is an unmolested mid 80s LP12, also I use a Nat03 & Mojo (driven by CCA and Philip's 840 CD player from 1991)..speakers are Epos ES11s

Front end for the Nait 3 is a Schiit Modi fed by PC and CCA and Quad FM4..speakers are Dynaudio Audience 52s

I think the Nait 2 is better for analogue sources and the 3 better for digital...I get great pleasure from both now....but I was unconvinced about the 3 until I got the Dynaudios...there is a real synergy between these and the Nait 3.
From time to time I feel I should now be throwing more lucre to the Hi Fi Market but am happy with the music from both my systems.

I have two systems one centred on a Nait 2 (olive) and the other centred on a Nait 3

The Nait 2 based system is my "main" system

Front end for the Nait 2 is an unmolested mid 80s LP12, also I use a Nat03 & Mojo (driven by CCA and Philip's 840 CD player from 1991)..speakers are Epos ES11s

Front end for the Nait 3 is a Schiit Modi fed by PC and CCA and Quad FM4..speakers are Dynaudio Audience 52s

I think the Nait 2 is better for analogue sources and the 3 better for digital...I get great pleasure from both now....but I was unconvinced about the 3 until I got the Dynaudios...there is a real synergy between these and the Nait 3.
From time to time I feel I should now be throwing more lucre to the Hi Fi Market but am happy with the music from both my systems.

Happy is a great place to be, isn't it?

I love these Naim amplifier threads. Very strong opinions are aired, with alternative amplifiers being ‘horrible’,
or even worse.
It’s all makes for amusing reading over my morning cup of tea...

I love these Naim amplifier threads. Very strong opinions are aired, with alternative amplifiers being ‘horrible’,
or even worse.
It’s all makes for amusing reading over my morning cup of tea...

We will make sure we keep you entertained

Did someone ever listen to a Nait 1 or 2 with some old B&W DM2 first generation ?
If yes, any comments would be appreciated.........just by curiosity............

I’ll be honest, I have never tried a Naim amplifier.
In my experience tone controls have their place and I find them useful.
My Quad 34 Tilt controls are particularly good.
The controls on my Audiolab 8000A are also useful with my BC1s.
Oh dear, I’ve mentioned Audiolab, an amplifier some Naim devotees find horrible...

Whilst my NaimUniti was off for repair I put my Nait 2 in its place, pairing with my SBLs and LP12. The Uniti is in the attic now!
2hnK1Dz

No wonder Naim doesn't make the Nait 2 anymore...

Well, the LP12 and SBLs were its natural source and speaker at the factory, so I'm not surprised!

advertisement

Back