advertisement

Floorstanders for Rega Elex R

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi,

We are moving to a bigger house soon and think I will require floorstanders for our new lounge.

Current system is rega elex r plus neat motive sx3 which sounds great.

Considering neat motive sx1, neat ekstra and spendor a7.

Has anyone got any experience with these amp speaker combos or any suggestions?

Thanks

Devore Fidelity Gibbon 88

(just by coincidence I have some for sale :) )

I have a Rega Elicit Mkii amp and use Kudos X2 speakers and auditioned the Kudos against Neat SX2. I would have been happy with either, slightly preferred the Kudos. So if you like the Neat sound I would definitely listen to their floorstanders, but perhaps also consider the Kudos X3 or C20 since your budget seems to stretch to these.

I have Kudos X3s (and prior to that, X2s). If you’re anywhere within reasonable travelling distance to south west Herts you’re welcome to pop over for a listen.

Rega makes wonderful speakers that many overlook for reasons that have nothing to do with their sound.

My suggestion (hopefully helpful) see how you get on with your sx3s first, don’t jump the gun. Small speakers don’t always sound lost in a larger room, oddly, I have my big main system in a smaller but dedicated room. My second system lives in the conjoined living/dining room, I have Royd Sapphires in there and for a fairly diminutive box, they sound big, punchy and dynamic, lots of fun.

Rega makes wonderful speakers that many overlook for reasons that have nothing to do with their sound.

Really enjoyed my RX3 floorstanders, but because I gradually became aware of a niggling room match problem, that, in my smallish room, and probably also due to less than totally rigid floorboards, their bass output didn’t seem right, either with the side drivers facing in, or facing out (I now use stand mounts)
I think, however, that in the majority of rooms, it would be possible to obtain their optimal positioning, and then they’d be very good (dynamic and engaging) especially with a Rega Elex-r or Elicit-r. I also used them with the Brio-r, but felt they were better with the Elex-r, and then an Elicit-r.

If you like your Motive 3, the Ekstra or Iota Alpha should be auditioned.

I ran Iota Alpha upstairs, they certainly needed some juice - volume up from my Nap 180 based setup - have had Motive 2 & 3 which seemed easier going.
Motive 2 vs X2, not much diff
Motive 1 is more "bassy"

They're all great speakers though I have yet to hear some Ekstra - they would require minimum Elicit/R, just a guess

If you like your Motive 3, the Ekstra or Iota Alpha should be auditioned.

I ran Iota Alpha upstairs, they certainly needed some juice - volume up from my Nap 180 based setup - have had Motive 2 & 3 which seemed easier going.
Motive 2 vs X2, not much diff
Motive 1 is more "bassy"

They're all great speakers though I have yet to hear some Ekstra - they would require minimum Elicit/R, just a guess

Thanks for your input.

Why elicit r, specs suggest reasonably easy to drive?

Thanks for your input.

Why elicit r, specs suggest reasonably easy to drive?

Just guessing
My Elex/R was mighty fine but I rate a 3-box Naim to be more powerfull

Anyway its worth a try, the Ekstra looks stunning while the Alpha/Explorer really odd

advertisement

Back