advertisement

Labour conference 2019, Tom Watson, Momentum etc

I don't know why you have to keep being quite so obnoxious in your replies to me. I have tried striping my replies down to the most straightforward statement of facts and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
You don’t know why? I’m not as dumb as you think, matthew. I read your post, such as #156, which I understood. Your post below is patronising, as usual, hence my reply. If you cut it out I’ll have nothing to retaliate over.

Money in this sense refers to the economy so what we are really talking about here is more jobs and an improved health service.

Don't worry Matthew. He's like that with pretty much everyone.
Not at all, just those I have the nerve to disagree with that you agree with.

The abolish private schools motion is rather silly, just gives more oxygen to the anti Labour press. I can perfectly understand the thinking behind ending charitable status but abolishing them is pretty futile. People with money will just buy advantage in other ways (as they already do by annexing the leafy areas, for example). I am now of the opinion that Labour don't want to get into power.

The abolish private schools motion is rather silly, just gives more oxygen to the anti Labour press. I can perfectly understand the thinking behind ending charitable status but abolishing them is pretty futile. People with money will just buy advantage in other ways (as they already do by annexing the leafy areas, for example). I am now of the opinion that Labour don't want to get into power.
Labour isn’t planning to abolish private schools.

Labour want funds and properties held by private schools to be "redistributed democratically and fairly" to other schools.

Funnily enough, those ‘funds and properties’ will no longer exist and therefore unable to be redistributed. Why would anyone pay for something if it were to be taken away.

I understand Watson was planning to use conference to launch another attack on Corbyn. It could be that Lansman’s motion was a way of putting a shot across his bows and avoiding a more damaging Watson inspired row later on.

As for The Brexit issue, if you want a credible chance to stop it, you need to vote Labour or Lib Dem. Not sure what Watson’s beef is anyway, vote Labour, get referendum, campaign for Remain. Even Corbyn has suggested he wouldn’t campaign for the deal, but even if he does (and someone probably should so that both cases are properly represented) what does it matter, Watson and anyone else can campaign for Remain and you and I get to vote in referendum. Which is what we’ve been after for a few years now.

Lansman might well have been putting a shot across Watson's bows. However I'm afraid I'll be voting Green, because I don't trust Corbyn or McCluskey, let alone Momentum, when it comes to Brexit. We'll just have to differ, aside from football.

Jack

That isn't what the Guardian said, motion carried at conference, even more of an own goal then, drawing attention to a non existent policy.
Regardless, the motion wasn’t to abolish, but why an own goal? Because it isn’t wise to give the headline writers something to attack Labour for?

Labour want funds and properties held by private schools to be "redistributed democratically and fairly" to other schools.

Funnily enough, those ‘funds and properties’ will no longer exist and therefore unable to be redistributed. Why would anyone pay for something if it were to be taken away.
Perhaps the plan is for the assets to be sequestrated by the state and sold off.

Lansman might well have been putting a shot across Watson's bows. However I'm afraid I'll be voting Green, because I don't trust Corby or McCluskey, let alone Momentum, when it comes to Brexit. We'll just have to differ, aside from football.

Jack
Voting Green is a good vote. Good party, good principles and great leader. Unfortunately, voting for them will only make Remain less likely.

Perhaps the plan is for the assets to be sequestrated by the state and sold off.

Maybe. Many public schools own a lot of land etc left as legacies. However, they’d be much better off going after the Church of England!

Regardless, the motion wasn’t to abolish, but why an own goal? Because it isn’t wise to give the headline writers something to attack Labour for?
If you take away their assets etc then you do basically abolish. I am just going off the guardian headline.

'Annexing the leafy areas'? Are we talking about middle class people or middle class hedgehogs?

Watching the Marr show this morning it seemed like Marr gave Corbyn a bit of a hard time, which is as it should be of course, but when Raab was on later Marr seemed much softer. When Corbyn didn’t answer a question in a way to Marr’s liking it was, “I’ve asked you a straight question, give me a straight answer”. With Raab it was, ”I’m really sorry but I must return to the point...”
Raab is martial arts trained ( DD is ex-SAS) so maybe a hemiplegic interviewer has to handle right wing political guests with greater caution?

If you take away their assets etc then you do basically abolish. I am just going off the guardian headline.

Indeed, which is clearly the intention. Interesting given the key Labour figures who send their kids to public school. Presumably their schools will not be impacted. I’m of the view that public schools should be encouraged and fees subject to tax relief as it takes a burden away from the state.

Indeed, which is clearly the intention. Interesting given the key Labour figures who send their kids to public school. Presumably their schools will not be impacted. I’m of the view that public schools should be encouraged and fees subject to tax relief as it takes a burden away from the state.
I don't share that view but Labour is riven with public school boys

advertisement

Back