advertisement

Way to go Greta

Big crowds are easy...the human ape seems to have a fondness for following. Almost sheeplike.

( Not that I am in any way comparing nor am I commenting . )

Reichserntedankfest-rally-1934.jpg
You've found a way of pulling images from Trumps dreams?

Joe,

Greta is no Hilter, if that was your point. She’s passionate about *saving* life on the planet — all life.

Joe

( Not that I am in any way comparing nor am I commenting . )

I thought that I was plain enough in what I posted ?

I was commenting upon the human propensity to be a follower.... almost a primal desire for it. It leads us to sports fans, pop music fans. religions and any and all 'causes' . We seem to have a huge desire to 'belong'

And Joe....good luck and best wishes to Greta.

Joe,

My point is that the point could have been made without the Nazi photo and the implied comparison even if you didn't mean to do so.

The big difference is that Greta is inspiring youth and from inspiration comes change, change that's been long overdue. And it's refreshing as hell to see a quiet and thoughtful young women being that inspiration. Greta is about as humble as they come and she makes effort to say listen to the scientists who are toiling away in labs and fields.

Joe

I thought that I was plain enough in what I posted ?

I was commenting upon the human propensity to be a follower.... almost a primal desire for it. It leads us to sports fans, pop music fans. religions and any and all 'causes' . We seem to have a huge desire to 'belong'

I took your point about followers - herding. There's no easy explanation for the upswell of a social movement, really. People still refer to her as a child from her small stature and countenance. And she's been careful not polarize, not that there's much to her that should polarize. That could be a substantial part of it. Gore's Inconvenient Truth was 13 years ago, and that went nowhere as viral as this young woman, and with speed. It could also be that what Gore was warning about is now tangible, and people just don't take distant abstract threats seriously. It's ether a current threat or something thought about some other time. And certainly not in an age of instant gratification.

Big crowds are easy...the human ape seems to have a fondness for following.

we are an affiliative, social species. combined with the special cognitive thing* that gives us our capacity for language acquisition, which is unique to humans (and definitely not sheep-like), we've achieved some remarkable things and done some pretty bad ones, too. these are now in the domain of truism.

* note we still don't understand how this works, but it's pretty clear we are the only ones who have it

Marky,

I’ve been banging on about loss of biodiversity and the perils of climate change for ten thousand years before you joined the forum, mostly to deaf ears, contrarians and jive turkeys like Paul R.

Greta has done more to raise awareness about these issues and to inspire change than I could have ever hoped for.

Hats off to her. She really doesn’t want anything out of all this celebrity other than a habitable planet.

Joe

We are all guilty and nothing will fundamentally change, that is, not soon enough to prevent the reboot of what is left of the biosphere post Homo sapiens (I almost typed 'Homo erectus', but that would be giving modern man too much credit*)

* The literal to English translation of the Latin 'Homo sapiens' is 'wise man'!

@Joe P

it seems australia has been experimenting with jive turkey breeding and it's clearly gone out of control (warning -- tv smashing impulses ahead):

as everyone knows, i'm a pretty radical pacifist, but if someone could come up with a bomb to obliterate every household with the TV turned into sky/fox/murdoch news, i would celebrate the achievement. more realistically, i'd love to make a film in which some kind of revolution segregates all libertarians/righties on their own continent or planet and we watch what happens. yeah, i know, i know, i'm not supposed to like horror movies either, but this would be done in the manner of eric rohmer.

note: i accidentally clicked on a link to the above after watching posting the video on previous page.

Marky,

I’ve been banging on about loss of biodiversity and the perils of climate change for ten thousand years before you joined the forum, mostly to deaf ears, contrarians and jive turkeys like Paul R.

Greta has done more to raise awareness about these issues and to inspire change than I could have ever hoped for.

Hats off to her. She really doesn’t want anything out of all this celebrity other than a habitable planet.

Joe

I think it's a good deal due to having reached a measure of critical mass with young people, and she's as a good a figurehead as any. Maybe better than most, since attacking a 16 year old young woman looks exceptionally bad.

I've lived about 8/10ths of my life, and if I get another 10 years that's great. And so I'm unlikely to see the worst of this. I can't imagine being 16 and knowledgable about this collapse. I'd probably feel like I'd been cheated. I find it interesting there's not more anger.

I still feel like I did in an earlier post, and that's sad when I watch all these young people assemble and plead with the adults for something positive that I don't believe is going to happen barring a miracle. Germany tossed them a bone, and most climate activists, from I've read, think it fell way, way short.

we are definitely not all guilty -- certainly not equally guilty. more importantly, there are very big differences in a willingness to do something and accept a change in lifestyle.
Only time will tell what 'willingness' brings by way of acceptance of lifestyle changes.

So far, it appears to be a bunch of millennials whinging about what has been done to them, all the while snapping group hug photos and selfies on their smartphones (FYI, the digital economy uses approx. 1/10th of the world's electricity).

P.S. Regardless of my cynicism, IMO, Greta Thunberg is currently top of the charts as world's no. 1 heroine.

@Joe P

it seems australia has been experimenting with jive turkey breeding and it's clearly gone out of control (warning -- tv smashing impulses ahead):

as everyone knows, i'm a pretty radical pacifist, but if someone could come up with a bomb to obliterate every household with the TV turned into sky/fox/murdoch news, i would celebrate the achievement. more realistically, i'd love to make a film in which some kind of revolution segregates all libertarians/righties on their own continent or planet and we watch what happens. yeah, i know, i know, i'm not supposed to like horror movies either, but this would be done in the manner of eric rohmer.

note: i accidentally clicked on a link to the above after watching posting the video on previous page.
Respect to the highly-paid, middle-aged, white journalist for bravely speaking out against a 16 year-old girl.

Seriously, the reaction to Thunberg puts me in mind of the Tim Buckley song, "Goodby and Hello" (and I wave goodbye to ashes, and smile hello to a girl).

I like your idea for a film and would be equally happy to see it done horror-style (Romero, I guess) or in the manner of Rohmer.

Hmmm... Romero vs Rohmer. Who'd win in a fight to the death?

Rohmer would bore him to death. I've watched Le Rayon Vert. That's 2 hours of my life I'll not have again. Nor would I wish to if that's what I'd have to do with them.

Rohmer would bore him to death. I've watched Le Rayon Vert. That's 2 hours of my life I'll not have again. Nor would I wish to if that's what I'd have to do with them.

well, i guess that explains a lot -- especially the way you've been behaving recently. i'm going to guess you have a new girlfriend.

"le rayon vert" is one of the top 3 films of all time. in fact, i may just watch it again tonight.

I think it's a good deal due to having reached a measure of critical mass with young people, and she's as a good a figurehead as any. Maybe better than most, since attacking a 16 year old young woman looks exceptionally bad.

I've lived about 8/10ths of my life, and if I get another 10 years that's great. And so I'm unlikely to see the worst of this. I can't imagine being 16 and knowledgable about this collapse. I'd probably feel like I'd been cheated. I find it interesting there's not more anger.

I still feel like I did in an earlier post, and that's sad when I watch all these young people assemble and plead with the adults for something positive that I don't believe is going to happen barring a miracle. Germany tossed them a bone, and most climate activists, from I've read, think it fell way, way short.

I don't know about other people but as a parent of two boys I find thinking about their future a bit harrowing.

I feel that in spite of the commendable efforts from those like Greta in raising awareness to the problem, people are ultimately too busy living their individualist lives, too entrenched in their beliefs, and it doesn't look like they're really willing to make the effort this emergency requires, the change of habits, the financial burden, the change of political mindset; this is particularly true of my parents' generation but also of my own...

advertisement

Back