Nescafe Dolce Gusto binary review.....

• I have one and I like it

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I have one and I replaced it with a jar of Mellow Birds

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

JimmyB

pfm Member
Anybody using these and if so what do you think?

A new member of staff has started discussing a coffee machine for the office but he'd be the only one drinking coffee, my better half and other members in the office so far are in the hot chocolate or tea camp. Hence thoughts about the best way to meet all needs without going mental.

She's been told that Tassimo aren't very good by someone she trusts so that really leaves Doce Gusto as an option but are they as awful as I remember a Nespresso machine at an old workplace being? How are they with drinks other than coffee and I include horrible milky/overly sweet coffee in that too.

Nespresso systems only do coffee, hence the need for something that does both tea and hot chocolate.....

I'd actually suggested they get an aeropress just for him but I suspect that's not the point and it's not about a really nice coffee that you can go out and get some freshly roasted beans to use in it.

Let him get the smallest Nespresso (Pixie) machine and the rest of you are not allowed to use it.

I'd tell him he can bring anything in he likes. The rest of you drink tea or cocoa. Done.

I regularly supply my own cafetiere and coffee.

What's wrong with a kettle and each person makes his/her own drink? Let the coffee guy bring in one of those funnels with paper filters and his coffee of choice. Or is it compulsory to have something with blinking lights, buttons, pods? (Horrible things, "pods")

are you de boss? just bung him a wedge, tell him to get hhv machine of choice and let him buy the pods

Well we'd sort of like our people to have some perks and while we can't afford to run a Lavazza system with 100pods for £150/month (!!!), it would be nice to give people a decent option that means Star#ucks isn't the only option nearby @£3/pop.

Well we'd sort of like our people to have some perks and while we can't afford to run a Lavazza system with 100pods for £150/month (!!!), it would be nice to give people a decent option that means Star#ucks isn't the only option nearby @£3/pop.

ok you buy the machine and tell him to buy the pods. Those machines that make tea, chocolate etc are pretty dreadful.

So if Nespresso is the best of them then it will have to be an Aeropress and my old hand grinder. Might keep an eye open for a used bean to cup but that'll have to wait until I get my roaster for home.

So if Nespresso is the best of them then it will have to be an Aeropress and my old hand grinder. Might keep an eye open for a used bean to cup but that'll have to wait until I get my roaster for home.
Can get a decent electric burr grinder for circa £50 from Amazon which will be fine for light use. I have one at home, I usually use it twice a day.

Can't do less than my La San Marco SM 97 at home, anything smaller than 84mm burrs just won't cut it.
Plus the hand grinding will be theraputic for him....maybe...until RSI sets in.

On our second Dolce Gusto machine. Suddenly it is clear that some patent has expired, or licensing opened up because now you can buy various 'Gusto compatible' pods. Our first machine was the big 'dog on the sideboard' thing. Worked really well (choose a manual one, more contol over strength).

It died after several years good service. New machine is smaller but is not quite so wonderful. We have a coffee each with it every morning before work and a couple of extras during the weekend. Cappucinos work OK for our guests (we have black only ourselves)
Currenly playing with Costa coffee pods, new on the market.

On holiday, in the rented villa in Spain there was a Nespresso machine - so we had a play. I think we might switch when the time comes.

Can't do less than my La San Marco SM 97 at home, anything smaller than 84mm burrs just won't cut it.
Plus the hand grinding will be theraputic for him....maybe...until RSI sets in.
I can't say I'd want to mess about with a hand grinder and all the paraphernalia at work. Jar of coffee, cafetiere, good enough.

I have a Nespresso that I use once a day or so. Makes a change from cafetiere or filter if you want a cup to savour. As far as I m concerned it's as good as bean to cup without the hassle.

This machine is the best, the Dolce Gusto Magnifica 7. Forget the pod based, environment unfriendly crap.

Had one here for ages and never found one of the pods that I actually like as a daily drinker. The machine seems fine though :)

Had one

Didn’t like the pods

Got a Tassimmo which is much better with greater choice but never use it now

Just use a cafetière all the time now.

advertisement

Back