advertisement

Advice please

dspatterson

pfm Member
Hi, for the first in all my years on pf I've unfortunately had a bad purchase and am looking to see what other forum members think is reasonable.
I don't wish to name names (certainly not at this moment)
I purchased an olive Naim item described as excellent condition both cosmetically and electrically.
But the item has arrived in a most odd condition, someone has taken to polish the olive plastic facia panel to a high gloss, and in the process buffed of the markings around the balance and volume control and even ruined the Naim illuminated logo.
On top of that the edge of the case work has been rubbed through to the metal in a long strip.
I feel misled and misold.
The unit does not match any other olive gear now.
I did not ask for photos as I did not expect it deviate much from the advert.
The item also requires a service as its not throwing the sound image equally left and right, but hey ho it's prob 19year old due a service so I can't really quibble that.
I have reversed the case to hide the damage to the front aluminium but I cannot use the lock hex bolt this way.
I feel I'm entitled to a full refund but could live with it if I had a partial refund ( that could go to future service.)
My thoughts are when I come to sell it
I would have to fully disclose the unnatural and non standard facia and the damage to logo and facia markings which would devalue.
Thoughts and advice appreciated

D.

I would ask to return it. I have returned one item to a PF member who took it back without quibble. I have since bought another item from him that was excellent value and condition and would recommend him without hesitation. I should add that my issue was very minor compared to your description.

Go for a full refund and return including return postage.
You could ask for a refund of the difference between what you could sell it for and what you paid, but in the end, you wanted a nice Olive series amp to match your others but it never will.
I'm sure anybody reasonable will happy take it back, it still has value but maybe better in someones second system where looks are less likely to grate.

"I sold on the XXXX for the price I paid and it never seemed to me there was anything wrong given the price and that it is 20 years old"
Failing to mention buffed up facia and badly marked case

Basically same as distance selling rules. But just done through trust on a website of like minded people.

Description doesn't cut it, it's not what you expected. It doesn't matter what he paid for it or how old it is etc etc

It may urk them but I'm sure if they're true fishies they'll be happy to take it back.

This is why the reluctance of people to make the small effort required to post photos here puts me off buying from here. One persons minter is anothers minger.

Distance and paying by bank transfer are putting me at a disadvantage, so I am basically appealing to him.

You have the right to return goods which are not as described by the seller. I have not seen the seller's description, so it is not clear whether or not that would apply here, but if it was described as "excellent condition cosmetically" then I think you would have reasonable grounds for complaint.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...nd-goods#did-you-buy-it-from-a-private-seller

Allways a good idea getting some pictures upfront, indeed if the price was too good...

Was it a private sale or did you buy from a dealer? If a private sale, you may need to hope for goodwill from the seller, not sure you have any legal standing.

If it was from a dealer, distance selling rules apply and they have to reverse the sale by law.

Yes it was a private sale. No Dealer involved.
All I can think about is when I come sell I recon it's only worth 2/3 of what I payed.
I'm still waiting to see what if anything he will agree to.

This is why the reluctance of people to make the small effort required to post photos here puts me off buying from here. One persons minter is anothers minger.
I've got some speakers I want to sell. I can't workout how to post photos here, and can't find any guidance.

I've sold a few items on here and my reason for not posting photos in the ads is that I've had an instance where my photos (of a turntable) were taken, probably via google images, and used to list a questionable item on eBay. You could argue that it's not my problem, but equally I'd rather not make it easy for someone to mislead a potential purchaser by providing them the images of an actual item to do it. I always take photos of anything prior to offering it and will always send photos to interested buyers via PM.

I've got some speakers I want to sell. I can't workout how to post photos here, and can't find any guidance.
Open a free Flickr or photobucket or other photo hosting service account, upload your photos to it, then link to them here, or if you post on another forum that allows picture hosting you can link from there. You can imbed them if you click on the little icon that looks like a negative picture of the moon over some mountains.

Edit: @nobeone says don’t use the icon and that might be easier.

advertisement

Back