• Meteorological

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Astronomical

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BJP

pfm Member
It's been a beautiful day here in the North West , forecast is the same tomorrow and the day after , the last days of summer as it's the Autumnal Equinox on Monday or has autumn already begun for you .
Up to a couple of years ago I was totally unaware of the meteorological seasons , "first day of spring today "(March 1st) says a fellow dog walker , "no it ain't " says I and so I became aware of these other seasons beginning dates.

Poll added :)

Neither. It's all about A/C & central heating & wardrobe.

Winter = long underwear, painfully big heating bills (mid Nov - end March)
Spring = no long underwear, heating bills tolerable (April, May)
Summer = short + t-shirts, fans and A/C (June 1st - August 30th)
Autumn = jeans+sweater in the morning, maybe lose the sweater in the afternoon - heating bills negligible. (Sept 1st - mid Nov)

Autumn wins for me, here in New England, except for the anticipation of cold, expensive winter. It's beautiful here right now.

I dont feel the cold or hot for that matter. Humidity is my enemy.

work: winter/summer/autumn/spring - Jean's and t-shirt, no underwear.

leisure : winter/summer/autumn/spring - shorts and T-shirt.

if the temp drops to 10 I might wear a fleece, 5 maybe a tracksuit top/bootoms

Spring puts a spring in my step; summer can simmer uncomfortably; autumn acclimatises me and winter is just woeful. The seasons don't have capital letters; an oddity of grammatical structure, for some reason.

Reactions: BJP
I hate summer. Deeply. Passionately. The feeling of being cooked alive is the most unpleasant one I know. My Belfast blood has apparently never thinned. I'm still trying to figure out how I survived 20 years in Melbourne. Must have been love. My wife was constantly amused at how I dreaded the coming of next summer when the previous one had just finished. (For the record, the rest of the year was rather good - Melbourne has no winter, or at least anything that normal people would recognise as a winter - when your idea of a bitterly cold day is 8°C - plus 8°C, then that's no winter at all.) Here in Baselland, it's pleasant autumn, sunshine, crisp and cool in the morning, pleasant during the day. How do I lock this in?

It depends on where you live. Seasons here are a bit different from those in the UK.

A2VligA.jpg

We're in second summer right now.

Joe

as a child I was dragged against my will in the winter to Montreal as my Dad was working there for a few months. Hated every minute.

My American daughter in law, raised in Columbus, now in NY says we don’t have seasons, just different greys.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Canada.

Joe

I was 10 years old, from memory it was boring as hell. We went to New York as well, and I hated that. Strangely a year later when he was posted to Oslo, I found that strangely fascinating.

I've been to the same three cities and enjoyed my time at each one.

Just goes to show that for every anecdote there's an equal and opposite anecdote, except for Olso which has provided the same anecdote in this instance.

Joe

Grumble as we Brits do about the weather I think I would miss the seasons if we didn’t have them. I mean Christmas without the (unlikely) prospect of snow, summer without the (remote) possibility of a few nice days.
- Although it has all gone a bit to pot in recent years I must say.

My pal has family in Canada, Toronto area I think. He went over 20-odd years ago in winter and was foolish enough to go out to the corner shop in the evening without a big coat. "I'll be all right!" By the time he got there he was blue and shivering, and he's a big lad, he had to spend about 20 minutes warming up in the shop before he dared go back out. More recently his uncle, who liked a drink, was walking the mile or so home from the bar one evening in the middle of a Canadian winter and stopped, either for a rest or because he fell. Goodnight Vienna, he was discovered frozen the next morning by some children going to school. Not to be messed with, a Canadian winter.

Closer to home, I do appreciate the seasons and the British weather. I spent 3 years in France, and I loved it, but I never got the hang of the seasons. Spring is a delight, with cool mornings, light evenings and pleasantly warm days. The 6 weeks between late June and early August are hellish if you are doing anything more than sitting by a river. The heat, week after week, is crushing. Autumn is great, once you avoid the rainy days it's fine. Winter though isthe most dreary, grey period imaginable. It's never very cold, it seldom rains or snows. Instead you get highs of +5C and calm, grey, dismal weather. For weeks. Winter in England can be grim, with the Atlantic storms blowing through every 5 minutes and freezing drizzle the rest of the time, but at least it changes. You get the odd crisp, dry day, and it is nice to know that as the clouds scud by at least something slighly different is coming along in the next 24 hours.

I spent 3 years in France,

Big country, Steve. Your 'grey' mention is reminiscent of northern France, but not of the south, I feel. My wife and I have definitely gone off summers here in East Anglia. The intense sun and humidity has become more oppressive. All one can do is stay inside and watch Wombledon and Queen's Club ! My newspaper shrinks by losing separate supplements in August and school holidays disrupt most things.

For us Mammals the main difference between Meteorological and Astronomical seasons is thermal lag which if I remember correctly is approximately one month depending where you are on the planet.

advertisement

Back