advertisement

Best EP Ever?

R-3915466-1434617339-6052.jpeg.jpg

Has only 3 tracks so not sure it will pass the EP Nazis scrutiny on here!

Last edited:
Mustn't forget A.R. Kane's Up Home! EP. Four tracks, all brilliant, but the sum of the parts is even greater than the whole:

Looking at my choices so far (Nightingales, Bark Psychosis, A.R. Kane, Sudden Sway) I'm surprised by how many of the songs on them are, at least obliquely, political.

And they put the AR into MARRS and gave 4AD their first No. 1, despite legal action from Stock, Aitkin and ****erman...

A personal fave of mine. Title track is very obviously the basis for 'I've Got a Feeling' by Pentangle. Also has the earliest recorded appearance of Anji on it.

Spiral Scratch by the Buzzcocks and Gravest Hits by The Cramps bring back happy memories for me.

Not to mention "Strange Feeling" by Tim Buckley.
Which came first Davey or Miles Davis All Blues?
Edit: Looks like Miles was first:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_baroque?wprov=sfla1
"A landmark in this early period was the release, by Topic, of the EP 3/4 A.D by Alexis Korner and Davy Graham in April 1962. This includes the instrumental "Angi" which was to become Graham's best-known composition, as well as the title track, "3/4 A.D.", named after its time signature and the initials of the two performers. This instrumental piece took its inspiration from jazz sources such as Miles Davis and Charles Mingus."
I always thought All Blues was the track Buckley borrowed from.

"A landmark in this early period was the release, by Topic, of the EP 3/4 A.D by Alexis Korner and Davy Graham in April 1962. This includes the instrumental "Angi" which was to become Graham's best-known composition, as well as the title track, "3/4 A.D.", named after its time signature and the initials of the two performers. This instrumental piece took its inspiration from jazz sources such as Miles Davis and Charles Mingus."
Thanks! I must have listened to KoB and Happy/Sad dozens of times but I never made the connection. I didn't even know about the Davy Graham, and Pentangle tracks until today.

I did not know this. I now wish I'd asked Bert Jansch about this when I was in his, occasional, orbit.

Jungle innit.
I used to have alot of the Reinforced stuff, most of their releases seemed to be EPs, in fact I don't think they released any standard 12"s at all. Definitely the more techno side of Jungle. Rufige Cru 'Darkrider' was a favourite, kinda wished I never sold that one.

The EP was really popular when the 90s and Techno came along, just think of all the brilliant releases by the likes of Aphex Twin, Black Dog, UR, Joey Beltram etc. The last truly great time in music, and most of the stand out releases were on EP. Many of the original releases like the UR - especially Drexciya - are so sought after now.

^Kind of following on from that, for me it has to be this one:

BFC - Evolution

I bought this when it came out in 1990. I'd only ever heard one Carl Craig track previously, Psyche's 'Elements' on the Techno 2 compilation which was a mellow, slightly jazzy affair. This EP though sounded like it had been beamed in from the far future. It blew my mind, quite frankly. It confirmed Carl Craig's prodigious and unique talent, and for me was hugely influential in my musical development.

^Kind of following on from that, for me it has to be this one:

BFC - Evolution

I bought this when it came out in 1990. I'd only ever heard one Carl Craig track previously, Psyche's 'Elements' on the Techno 2 compilation which was a mellow, slightly jazzy affair. This EP though sounded like it had been beamed in from the far future. It blew my mind, quite frankly. It confirmed Carl Craig's prodigious and unique talent, and for me was hugely influential in my musical development.
Didn't know this one, thanks, its right up my ambient synth washy snapping high hats street.
C Craig was always one of mine and me mates faves back in the 90s, used to play his LP to death, 'art and revolution' or something!

For me, yes, 'EP' means the disc is 7" 45rpm. My favorites have been ones by The Shadows. Some of The Beatles ones also good. Alas, I no longer have any of the originals. Only a box of The Beatles ones re-released decades later.

advertisement

Back