advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit late to the party but absolutely enjoying "Life on Mars" on BBC iplayer, and on Netflix "Deadwind", a Finnish whodunit with tons of atmosphere and snow...and the title sounds like a Porcupine Tree cd as well!

High praise.

Having finished it ... I was left wanting more, which is a good thing.

As for the comparison with PSS, imagine if Amazon made PSS as a series. That's what I'm comparing it with rather then the book.

But it has many of the same elements and the feel is right.

In fact, Amazon should just go ahead and make PSS!

Stephen

Hope they make a follow up series we really enjoyed it, Orlandos' character reminded me of Drake in Ripper St.

Dark Crystal - Age of Resistance, could be a goody on Netfix - remember the movie coming out

Gus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Icebreaker_(film)
This is on prime in the US - and it's a good film.

At the absolutely opposite end of the nautical spectrum, also on prime in the US, we have "Travels by narrowboat"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8747608/
I'm not sure what to make of it - we're only a couple of episodes in, and I can't help but feel that it's reality TV meets midlife crisis, but the scenery is very nice and it's very relaxing.
Based on what Kevin is eating on the show we're wondering if he'll be the first narrowboat sailor to contract scurvy.

Euphoria

3 episodes in and i'm not quite sure what to make of it. is the "evil quarterback/jock" cliche worthy of HBO? why don't they explore why america seems to be the only place in the world where this is a "thing". nonetheless, it was clever/ironic/naughty of them to hire star college quarterback trevor lawrence to play the trans character (jules), who i imagine will bring everything crashing down as part of the ersatz moralism.

interesting that it's all escaped the fox news hollywood outrage radar.

in the end, i still don't know what to make of it. some very interesting bits here and there, the lead is very good / likable, but it seems cobbled together by a person with good intentions yet little experience or wisdom. also not keen on all the male nudity (who wants to see that?) -- seemed more to do with making a social point that contribution to the drama.

I watched the two seasons of “The OA” and just watched the first again.
It makes a lot more sense second time round. Lots of hidden clues revealed.

Prime has lots of vintage SF and horror films on there.

Just watching Quatermass II.

Stephen
Classic (though "... and the Pit" is even better).

I just started watching Marianne on Netflix - French witch-based horror. Pretty damn creepy but also fast-paced with occasional quirky flashes of humour. Very enjoyable, if you enjoy feeling on edge and a little bit scared.

Classic (though "... and the Pit" is even better).

I just started watching Marianne on Netflix - French witch-based horror. Pretty damn creepy but also fast-paced with occasional quirky flashes of humour. Very enjoyable, if you enjoy feeling on edge and a little bit scared.

drood.

i'm surprised someone with your background can tolerate supernatural drama.

There's some good supernatural films, such as 'Don't Look Now', which is kinda-sorta supernatural. But I mostly feel about supernatural drama what I feel about sci-fi; that if 'anything can happen', it's less enjoyable than if events are governed by 'normal' rules of probability etc. All of my favourite films are realistic, though I'm about to watch 'Stalker' and Solaris' in the original Russian versions, so I'm not completely closed-mind about this.

Took a second look at Mindhunter on Netflix. Am up to episode nine this time. The real treat is watching the character actors they recruit to play the convicted multi-murderers. Last one was a fellow who comes off as an older-than-he-ever-got James Dean, playing Richard Speck.

There's some good supernatural films, such as 'Don't Look Now', which is kinda-sorta supernatural. But I mostly feel about supernatural drama what I feel about sci-fi; that if 'anything can happen', it's less enjoyable than if events are governed by 'normal' rules of probability etc. All of my favourite films are realistic, though I'm about to watch 'Stalker' and Solaris' in the original Russian versions, so I'm not completely closed-mind about this.

Good SF for me (and where fantasy often falls) is where rules are set up that may be improbable or unlikely but they stick to those rules in their own ‘universe.’ Its the ‘what if’ that intrigues.

I have no problems that Trek ships move faster than light as they explain how and mostly keep to those rules. That’s one of the many reasons Discovery was a dog because it didn’t do this.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back