advertisement

Neutral and transparent amplifier?

Tonyy

Foreword:
In one of my setups I use Harbeth P3ESR SE paired with Yamaha A-S2100 and it's a dream combo for me. P3s are romantic tuned (not high end-ish at all) and Yamaha is very lively and dynamical playing, with nice oomph bass (where p3s profiting substantially) and brings a lot of control over speakers, so they can go loud and still not oversteer.

About half a year ago I bought Super HL5 Plus speakers, which are known for most "high-end" tuning of the whole Harbeth lineup and I never liked them with any of my amps except this Yamaha, but only when using it as a power amp (bypassing preamp section), otherwise they sound too hot for me - mostly mids are a tad too much, same as high-hats of the percussion. When using Yama as a power amp I am steering volume directly from studio grade RME ADI-2 DAC, which is very transparent and has completely flat response.

This way I can listen to them all day long, every kind of music I like and enjoying it a lot. But I don't want to leave this setup like that, since Yama is ment for my P3s and RME is for my desktop and I don't want to own 2 same equipment pieces.

My question is what amp should I try for the SHL5+ if all I want is transparency, neutrality and nothing added except gain?
Something like T+A PA 2000R would work great, but it's 6 grands, has a fan inside and too busy front design - so overall not convincing me. And I would like to keep it under 5k. I don't think I need to say no tubes please.

Lyngdorf TDAI 2170.

You could also consider the excellent Audionet SAM G2 that I had (twice!).

My question is what amp should I try for the SHL5+ if all I want is transparency, neutrality and nothing added except gain?

Something with the Hypex nCore technology, or even better, the Purifi 1ET400A.

Devialet. The new model 140 Pro is £4.5K. Second-hand older models (with more power) can be had for well under £5K.

Thank you so much for your posts, I got a lot more input than I expected!

PMC amp looks like a playstation, I also had (for a few months) PMC twenty5.22 and it never really clicked between us, so I will pass on products from this company.

L-505uXII looks very promising, I always wanted to own a Luxman.
But never thought that those amps are playing very neutral?

Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 I red a lot good about it, will need to hear it.

Hegel H390 indeed why look farther away, if the answer can be so simple (A.S. using them, but I thought he stopped after one broke and company didn't want to service his?).

Cambridge Audio - I had for years their amps, last one being 851a. I also heard their newest Edge line - they are good amps, but not good enough at this price point.

Devialet - they products are chromed and I will never again buy such (Jadis being my last one). Chrome/glossy chassy is hard to keep clean and get micro scratched from dust pretty fast.

Neurochrome 686 about 2.3k delivered inc taxes, about as neutral as it gets for class a/b. Or the new benchmark amp, which is as neutral as it gets, fullstop. Both far less than those suggested above.

(A.S. using them, but I thought he stopped after one broke and company didn't want to service his?).

Wouldn't surprise me as we experienced something similar with a clients product until I had to kick their back sides into check for taking the piss.

ATC integrated seem obvious choice

I'm in the store currently listening Adele's Hello through Naim NDX 2/ATC SIA2-150 MK2/ATC curved passive SCM19/JL Audio Fathom f112 v2. Simply sublime :)

Ankara - NU Remix (Birds of Mind) up next :cool:

I just replaced a stack of Hypex NC400 monos with a Musical Fidelity M6 PRX. Very neutral and transparent amp with one of the best low ends I've ever heard at any price. The Hypex amps are especially good at low end, so to say that the M6 PRX beats them is high praise indeed. I couldn't be happier with it, and I like a neutral sound.

some very good suggestions here , personally i think i would find driving the yamaha with a RME ADI-2 DAC far too bright but we are all so different

I used a number of amps with the harbeth shl5-plus including the msb s200 which sounded incredibly musical and tamed that top end a bit , emporium have one [not mine]

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=283494019011

I found the naim sn2 rather good too , big sound , holographic and great remote . that might be my main suggestion for you tony , or even the new sn3

The best i have heard with the shl5plus anniversaries is the unison unico 90 but its a hybrid and you dont want valves , heard this a few times with them and glorious midrange and sense of presence

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=233341298296

Lavardin is another well known make used with harbeth

and finally the hegel i have heard a few times with alan shaw`s set up but never in my set up. never heard of any problems with them

wonder if this chap is still selling his 360 ?

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/135412-hegel-h360-integrated-amp/

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back