advertisement

Naim Streamer

I own a Unitilite & NAP 160 i also own a NAC 72 & Avondale TPX 1

I live stream all my music as i am aware of the latest generation of Naim streamers such as NDX 2 & ND5XS2 which i believe are optimised for streaming

I am unsure about pre amp quality nowadays and ask if i buy a pre amp streamer such as N272 or keep my NAC 72 & TPX 1 and use with the 2 above named streamers asking if less is more ?

The streamer part itself has very little effect on sound quality. The amp and DAC have more of an effect, but still a very small one compared to speakers, room and source material.

I wouldn't go for the N272. It's a great product but dated on the streaming front. It can struggle, dependent on your network and broadband connection, with streaming music services (not to be confused with playing files on your own network).

The current generation Naim streamers are much improved. Unless you're wedded to Naim, or particularly like the Naim control app, then I'd look elsewhere though. Keep your 72, unless you have an itch to change it. The Lindemann Limetree for example, amongst others.

The preamp-part of the N272 is not even up to your NAC 72

A N272 replacement is due.

If you live stream anything, get a Nova or Linn Selekt.
There are cheaper alternatives.

Or Keep your current 160/72/PSU
On the cheapskate there's lot of good streaming devices available.

Very true. In combination with an Innuos Zenith, digital is massively enjoyable, completely easy to use and stress free.

I own a Unitilite & NAP 160 i also own a NAC 72 & Avondale TPX 1

I live stream all my music as i am aware of the latest generation of Naim streamers such as NDX 2 & ND5XS2 which i believe are optimised for streaming

I am unsure about pre amp quality nowadays and ask if i buy a pre amp streamer such as N272 or keep my NAC 72 & TPX 1 and use with the 2 above named streamers asking if less is more ?
When you say 'live stream' I presume you mean that you stream from the web, rather than from local storage? If so, I would certainly go for a new generation Naim streamer in preference to a 272. Having said that, if you are happy with your Unitilite in terms of functionality and reliability for Tidal or Spotify, the 272 uses essentially the same streaming board, but will sound better into your 160, so it could work for you. My preference, though, would be to keep your 72 and use a separate streamer/DAC with that.

Second the advice to stick with your 72 and add a separate dac/ streamer. I have been experimenting this weekend with a number of options back to back with surprising results. I have used Qobuz & Tidal as streaming sources, also files streamed from a computer in our study using asset upnp. I have a 272.

I started to experiment due to a number of reasons:

Reason 1

The assertion by a number of regular forum posters that Qobuz sounds better than Tidal. This intrigued me. I use Tidal through the Naim app -- a really good easy to use integration.

To play Qobuz I have to use a third-party app in-between (Bubble) and rely on a computer left on to act as a server (I’m aware that I could install a NAS – but not keen just yet). Using Bubble as a controller on my phone I switched back and forth between Tidal & Qobuz – hardly any difference noticed. So, for sound Q – all ok. Where we are struggling is material – we very much prefer Qobuz to Tidal for how material is presented esp. new artists/genres and make new discoveries. I’m sure searching Tidal will produce equal access to artists – but find we do not use it in the same way. Qobuz is still convoluted compared to Tidal using the Naim app though.

Sorry for the ramble – bear with me for context before we get back to the OP’s question ………

Reason 2

Replaced my ageing office pc with a Mac (2018 – no digital out). This meant feeding my office system with a 3.5 mm wire – not great. Looked online for a low-cost USB solution and bought a Topping D10 for £65 online. Also picked up an old Marantz 7004 streamer from eBay for £200. The Topping sounded good when plugged in, what I was not expecting was the far meatier sound provided by the Marantz when swapped over. Worth bearing in mind that this is a mac mini, old receiver and B&W bookshelf speakers and only used for casual listening.

If you have stuck with me so far you may have guessed what this leads to?

A number of comparisons for a quiet Saturday:

Starting Point -- NAC272, Tidal via App and local PC upnp stream (asset)

Change 1

Add Qobuz (via Bubble), compare against Tidal and stream (all 44.1). No major differences slight preference for upnp stream, so no major discovery for me – does not help me decide between ease of use (Tidal) & user experience (Qobuz).

Change 2

Take the mac mini to the HiFi using the Topping D10 as the USB dac into the 272. Cloned USB drive with the same music files as previously streamed by asset as in change 1.

Compared RCA stereo from the D10 to digital outs into the 272. Clear preference for digital from the D10 into the 272. In terms of user experience this is a game changer – we can now use native Tidal & Qobuz apps on the mac (with our tv as a screen) and use any playback software (Inc. iTunes) into the 272. Qobuz/Tidal dilemma solved!

Sound?

Quite different – TBH, this is where I’m expecting a drop having lived happily with the 272 for some time. What surprises me is that yes, the D10 loses on subtlety and finer detail (air around voices, fret/string sounds and cymbals) – what delights me is the energy and drive it brings. With some tracks it makes the 272 sound laid back (AC DC). Not at all what I was expecting.

Change 3

Add the Marantz 7004 streamer in place of the Topping D10 and initially use it as a USB dac from mac to 272.

First off – check for any preference between RCA analogue out (using the 7004’s internal dac) against co-ax SPDIF out (using the 272’s dac). Complete opposite to my expectations – we both prefer the Marantz analogue out. More space better stereo and brighter top end (Lorde, Elbow). The 272 when fed with co-ax out from the 7004 sounds bassier and heavier with a softer top end. Weird.

To the music, the 7004 falling fairly neatly between the Topping D10 & the 272. Good drive and energy from the 7004 but losing out to the 272 on some of my wife’s favourite vocal pieces in finesse and finer detail (chess, moulin rouge). What surprises us most is the presentation, music is much further forward in the mix with the 7004, the 272 being more even across the sound stage. Left and right stereo effects are more prominent via the 7004. Complex arrangements (moulin rouge , elbow} can sound slightly harder at high volumes when compared to the 272. Music played from the HDD is the clear winner here overall in terms of dynamics and drive.

Qobuz from mac to 7004 sounds much better than tidal – faster with better bass definition.

Conclusion

Is there a simple one? As with most things – my findings are my own, sanity checked by my wife. I’m the HiFi hobbyist, she a cellist with an interest in a good sound – but no interest in box swapping …….

What next?

The swapping and listening tests have shown us that for us there are plenty of options instead of the 272. It also highlights the lack of flexibility when the streamer and preamp are combined (OP - we finally got around to your question).

The quality and subtlety of the Naim stands out as expected but loses out on fun factor for rock & pop (AC DC, Lenny K). What is useful is a re-examination of how we access music at home and ease of use. Qobuz is a clear winner, and the ability to select Qobuz as our streaming choice means that the mac will be our front-end choice from now on. A trial of Audirvana control software re-in forces this option for us, allowing the mac to be controlled from an iPad with the main screen off – we like this.

We are not in doubt that the Naim is the quality streamer. For us the flexibility of a mac and separate Dac/Streamer options win out without taking the huge quality hit that I expected. This will allow us to move the 272 on and be flexible on future options.

Got me thinking now about finding an S/H 82 or Exposure pre and some other dac ……… Never ends, does it?

As always, our opinions are individual – hope my ramblings help or inform. Posting helps me to think about yesterday’s experience.

The fine print, music and system:

Lenny Kravitz Are you gonna go my way?

Led Zeppelin IV

Elbow The take-off and landing of everything

Chess OST

Moulin Rouge OST

Lou Reed Transformer

AC DC Back in Black

Lorde Pure Heroine

Ashley Henry Beautiful Vinyl hunter

Public Service Broadcasting The war room

Standard analogue interconnects used Naim, flashback

Digital interconnects Qed, Audioquest

LS cable NAC A5

Standard Cat6 network cables Netgear router/switch

Active Isobariks Dedicated mains spur

The streamer part itself has very little effect on sound quality. The amp and DAC have more of an effect, but still a very small one compared to speakers, room and source material.
I can tell the difference between my ND5 XS and Sonos... maybe the DAC inside the ND5 is what makes the difference?

The sonos slightly compresses the music so even at 16/44 it isn't entirely accurate. That said the dac on your naim streamer is much much better than that of the sonos so would certainly have an effect.

Better test would be comparing a cca via optical playing tidal into your naim streamer vs playing tidal natively in the naim streamer, then you would be using the same dac to test.

I tested a marantz CD player vs a cca into my rega dac, playing a CD vs CD quality stream from tidal and couldn't here any difference both connected via optical out.

That's not to say a better source definitely wouldn't of had an effect, I just don't know, though I suspect you would need to spend a lot on your streamer and even then with my dac buffering to reduce jitter I think it would be very hard to notice via optical. Maybe via coax it is different as there can be more noise so a better source should help.

In what way? Data compression or dynamic compression? In the digital or analog domain?
If you Google it you will find a few threads on it but the sonos compresses the dynamic range in the digital domain and that then flows compressed via its own dac and externally even when on fixed output.

If you Google it you will find a few threads on it but the sonos compresses the dynamic range in the digital domain and that then flows compressed via its own dac and externally even when on fixed output.

Interesting! Thanks!

FWIW - I live stream TIDAL all the time on an ND5XS using high speed internet connection with BT Hub 5. I've never had an issue with buffering or drop outs on either wireless or on ethernet. Plenty of value in the 'older streaming technology' yet!

Amazon have recently entered the cd quality and above streaming market at a very keen price. It would be silly to spend a lot of money on a streaming front end unless it supported amazon. Linn and Naim along with most of the others don’t. As amazon may well push at least Qobuz or Tidal out of business I’d keep my options open.

advertisement

Back