advertisement

A thread about Braces...oh yes!

Don't like them personally but they can look OK if worn correctly as opposed to the hipster trope. I usually buy jeans slightly too big on the waist as I have quite big thighs, a belt works fine.

I thought it was pretty self explanatory; braces should only be worn with trousers with side tabs (they'll usually have buttons to attach the braces to). Clip-on braces with trousers with belt loops are a no-no unless you're a lumberjack.

Whatever next? Brown shoes with a business suit?

I thought it was pretty self explanatory; braces should only be worn with trousers with side tabs (they'll usually have buttons to attach the braces to). Clip-on braces with trousers with belt loops are a no-no unless you're a lumberjack.

Bespoke suits from Saville Row always have side tabs and buttons for braces. In that way the trouser hang correctly.

FWIW Bruce Crompton's collection of braces for the hirsute male are a case in point.

I do not get what you are saying, why would you wear braces with belt loops trousers without concealing the waist band, what do you think this is 1990 or the 1920's which may be more applicable in your case.

Bloss

maxresdefault.jpg

Just for you Seeker.

I like them for suits, with the trousers made for them: buttons attached properly, and a fishtail back.

I have several pairs of braces, including my dads old army braces.

It depends on the trouser, I believe those with a long 'rise' benefit from braces. (high-waisted)

I wear shirts untucked and tucked in, so depends whether I choose belt or braces. All my braces are block colour, nothing garish.

Braces are OK as long as you wear them with trousers designed for them, ie no belt loops.

Quite right. No belt loops and a little gusset and belt at the back to adjust the width. They should be made for braces, with six buttons (4 front, 2 back) for the braces. They hang much better than trousers with a belt. Braces with metal clips are just horrible!

On reflection, I think there are two ways of adjusting the waistband: on the sides, with little buckles or little buttons, or at the back with a V-shaped opening and a buckle. Ah, a long-standing debate: should the pleats of the trousers face out, or in? And what about turn-ups? And trouser length?

advertisement

Back