advertisement

Phonostage experience

I own and use a Paradise stage and have had a Vida on loan. In addition I have used the Dynavector and also the RSL stage. However, the loan of these didn’t all overlap at the same time - I didn’t have the RSL at the same time as the Dynavector - but I did have the Vida at the same time as (an earlier version of) the Paradise. I thought the RSL a clear improvement over the Dynavector and an easy choice. The Vida and the Paradise were very close and if I couldn’t have my Paradise I could live with the Vida (though the Vida is a touch more ‘polite’). For me, both the Dynavector and RSL have a more mechanical/electronic quality than the Vida and Paradise, but then both of these are much more natural/euphonic sounding that the majority of phonostages.

In addition I have used the Dynavector and also the RSL stage.

YNWOAN, would you mind saying which version of the P75 you had? I found that the mk1 and mk2 were very different, as if they'd been created by different designers. Maybe someone knows the history of Dynavector and can say for sure, or maybe the mk1 was just a happy accident.

At your budget, you could look at the TRON Convergence - built to order, so you can specify the matching cartridge. A taste of high end phono stages at a snip, compared to the TRON Seven prices.

What is the new. Dynavector phonostage cost?

I might try the Exposure also. I tend to like british simple gear.

I once bought a SimAudio 310+320s. I was supossed to be end game riaa. But damn it sounded like the color Grey. Luckely it was easy to sell.

I should add that, at the time, I didn’t find the Dynavector did a whole lot for me. Yes it was quick and pacy but it also robbed the sound, ultimately, of a whole lot of tonal sophistication and had very little in the area of ‘air and atmosphere’. In all I found it a very ‘electronic” sounding stage and overly dry sounding.

I should add that, at the time, I didn’t find the Dynavector did a whole lot for me. Yes it was quick and pacy but it also robbed the sound, ultimately, of a whole lot of tonal sophistication and had very little in the area of ‘air and atmosphere’. In all I found it a very ‘electronic” sounding stage and overly dry sounding.

I'll concede that as a criticism of my P75 mk 1 also. My system does stereo and you get a bit of echo but holographic imaging? Forget it. I thought that tonally it wasn't too bad, but then that's not what I listen for to any great extent. PRaT is king for me :D

'Scuse the blatant plug... but as the Dynavector P75 is being discussed in some detail I'll add that several potential customers (6-7 or so IIRC) for the Arkless 640P made the comparison between the Dynavector and the Arkless... some preferred the Arkless and some the Dynavector. About 50:50 with P75 in "Dr T mode" but mine thrashed it in "normal mode". The Arkless 640P is only £225 (plus a used CA 640P + postage of course):)

I'll get my coat...

I own and use a Paradise stage and have had a Vida on loan. In addition I have used the Dynavector and also the RSL stage. However, the loan of these didn’t all overlap at the same time - I didn’t have the RSL at the same time as the Dynavector - but I did have the Vida at the same time as (an earlier version of) the Paradise. I thought the RSL a clear improvement over the Dynavector and an easy choice. The Vida and the Paradise were very close and if I couldn’t have my Paradise I could live with the Vida (though the Vida is a touch more ‘polite’). For me, both the Dynavector and RSL have a more mechanical/electronic quality than the Vida and Paradise, but then both of these are much more natural/euphonic sounding that the majority of phonostages.

This is good stuff, somebody that has actually heard most of the beasts in question, even if not all at the same time! Thanks YNWOAN.

So if we merge that info with Arkless' forgivable (in my book!) shameless plug we get a class of stages that I can put prices on:

Arkless £225 plus a CA 620P
Dynavector P75 Mk4 £795
RSL Phono Stage US$799

And a separate class of stages I can't put a price on:

Vida
Paradise

Any help with understanding their price bracket? Is it similar? I sort of think I know it isn't but can you help with realistic numbers? Same with other stages mentioned in this thread. Too often i find on pfm we get talking and somebody mentions something (I'm thinking the Allae v SBL thread where SL2s cropped up!) that is a multiple of the price of all else in the discussion. Always useful to know what the next step might be but also useful to compare apples with apples! Availability good to get a handle on too, can I just go buy or do I need to wait 2 years for a decent second hand hens teeth example to pop up!

The Vida is £3,300.00 I think (I’ve not heard the newer £1,000.00 design). The Paradise is an oddball because it isn’t a commercial design as such, it was originally a group buy kit from the DIY Audio forum. As such there are a limited number in existence and you can’t just order one (it’s also far from being an easy kit to build). Having said that, pfm forum member sq225917 has built quite a number of them and I think they come out at around £2,500.00 - but it could be more (it also depends what specification build you want). So, in short, the Vida and the Paradise are not in the same price bracket as the Arkless, Dynavector and RSL.

Oh, I’ve also been loaned the Arkless (CA620p), though this was a long time ago, and it was very good indeed.

Vida RRP £3.7K. Expect to pay a bit less at a dealer. Kronos AV have at £3.3K

Paradise depends on component choice but it’s ball park the same from forum posts.

Only at a couple of shows I’m afraid - so not much use on that one. I know Guy (of Puresound) will loan the Vida out to interested parties - well, he did to me (very kindly too).

advertisement

Back