advertisement

Portable Headphone Amp recommendations?

Thetiminator

Painfully virile
I have an Astell & Kern AK120 playing through MrSpeakers Ether C’s and want to add a little portable amp for some extra drive. A couple of things.....
Many of the portable headamps have built in Dacs, how does this work when there are dacs in the A&K? Does the headamp dac take over as the main processor? I’m thinking that the dacs in the A&K would be better but I could be wrong...?
Am I better off going for a headamp without a dac?
Also it needs to be small, ideally not much bigger than the A&K so I could strap them together and still fit in my pocket...
Anyone have any recommendations or has compared any?
Thanks.

Edit: Budget - up to c.£400 max I suppose, but used very rarely so ideally less.

Not sure on the 120 but alot of daps have a coax out sometimes doubled with a headphone output and switchable in the menu. The Mojo would be a good start for a similar sized amp dac.

I have an AK120mk2, connected via optical cable to a Chord Mojo (and from there into IEMs). I love the sound the two boxes produce when working together, a very clear difference to the AK on its own. Given the optical out, I'm pretty sure the Mojo is taking over DAC duties.

I have an AK120mk2, connected via optical cable to a Chord Mojo (and from there into IEMs). I love the sound the two boxes produce when working together, a very clear difference to the AK on its own. Given the optical out, I'm pretty sure the Mojo is taking over DAC duties.
Yep, and someone posted one in the classifieds for £225 yesterday, total bargain!

For offshore working I used the Japanese Fotex HP-V1. with a good built in Dac. 650hd headphones Fantastic sound.

advertisement

Back