advertisement

Lesser Known Singer Songwriters Sought

quite right.....I'm having a Nick Drake afternoon. and was a bit impulsive....I'll get my coat. On my way out I'll think of a few lesser known ones.

My post, whilst immediately after yours, was not aimed at you solely.
Though Nick Drake is rather mainstream now. His tunes are regularly used in TV programmes for background music.

Got every album he has released.
He fills auditoriums.
Doubt he is lesser known.

Depends on who you are comparing him to. Some auditoriums are not that big.

There ought to be some kind of scale. Maybe with The Beatles at the top, and some remote Amazonian tribe's noseflute player at the bottom.

From the US

Chris Smither

David Blue

Townes van Zandt (not obscure enough?)

Jackson C Frank

Tom Rush

Some women I've been listening to recently;

Angie McMahon
Florist
Rozi Plain
Aldous Harding
Julia Jacklin
Nadia Reid
Jesco Hoop

Men
Damien Jurado
A.A. Bondy
Bill Ryder-Jones
Ryley Walker
L.A. Salami
Hayden Thorpe

Mostly releases from this year.

Happy Rhodes
Tom mcrae
Tom Baxter, first album only
Scott Mathews
William fitzsimmons
Gavin clark
Fionn regan
Joe purdy

Depends on who you are comparing him to. Some auditoriums are not that big.

There ought to be some kind of scale. Maybe with The Beatles at the top, and some remote Amazonian tribe's noseflute player at the bottom.

Nominated for three Grammys.
Awarded one.
Ain’t my idea of lesser known.

On reading your title I was going to suggest Harry Chapin, but you’re way ahead of me.

How about Paul Buchanan, both for his solitary solo album “Mid Air” and his work with The Blue Nile, and Willie Vlautin, songwriter with Richmond Fontaine and The Delines?

(Above examples selected on the basis that my Pa hasn’t had time for much popular music since Chapin died, but enjoys and has seen both in concert.)

Also, how about Judee Sill, sort of a female Bill Fay?
Judee Sill, an artist that few have heard of but who happens to be brilliant. Rather tragic short life though.

Try these:
Sturgill Simpson - Meta modern sounds in country music (terrible title I concede)
Elliot Smith - not that obscure perhaps
Devon Sproule
The Silver Seas

One of my favourite albums of the last 10 years is Heavy Meadow by Anni Rossi. She's a cello player with a great ear for snappy indie tunes and arrangements. This album has a great drier-than-dust production by Steve Albini and there's not a bad tune on it. I think it must have sold about 5 copies, don't know why, because its quite brilliant. I think Marc Riley & I might be her only fans. It's on Spotify if you cannot find it anywhere else.

Also, a bit on the folky side, but Meg Baird, formerly of Philadelphia psych-folkers Espers (latterly also of the excellent heavy psychsters Heron Oblivion) has released a couple of great albums, too.

I'm not sure she is lesser known, but I am quite fond of Dory Previn. Especially her album 'Mythical Kings & Iguanas', an incredible record and dirt cheap to buy on vinyl.

advertisement

Back