advertisement

Chord DACs

Chord dac's are NOT 'bright'. That's nuts. Chord dac's are the best I have heard, and I've been comparing them to other dac's for years. I now own a 2Qute and a Qutest, I doubt I will ever sell either.

They are particularly good at making 16/44 cd rips sound 'non digital'.
Agreed. No way should they sound bright, they're remarkably even-handed.

Any brightness will be the partnering equipment showing its true signature. The Chords are extremely even-handed/neutral. However any equipment which has even a hint of brightness, whether in the amp or the speakers, that’ll be highlighted when playing a Chord DAC. Or any other genuinely well-engineered source.

I have mixed views on Chords - having owned Hugo's and Mojo's whch at their price points are remarkable. I have demoed a Dave a few times and always felt underwhelmed though...

Alive instead of bright. To me, bright means a tinny sound which grates the ears. The Chord, in my case QBD76 sounds alive with an illuminating sound. The treble is extended and sweet with a nice illuminating glow.

Chord DAC + Naim amp = heaven

Chord dac's are NOT 'bright'. That's nuts. Chord dac's are the best I have heard, and I've been comparing them to other dac's for years. I now own a 2Qute and a Qutest, I doubt I will ever sell either.

Good post. Non-digital is the keyword. Sounds like good analogue! It's not only with CD rips but digital audio files (FLAC format) as well.

Good post. Non-digital is the keyword. Sounds like good analogue! It's not only with CD rips but digital audio files (FLAC format) as well.

Well I’ve had three Chord DACs and I never found any of them bright. Smooth, solid, textured, satisfying, rich, tangible, engrossing - yes, but bright - no.

Do the filters on chord dacs make much difference - if people have found them to be bright can't it be tuned out to some extent?

Chord stuff is ridiculously expensive. I’ll never buy that kind of product just because probably 75 % of the manufacturing cost is put in those awful alu boxes. What’s left? A PCB produced in RPC for a few quid?
Preposterous.

Perhaps those who find Chord DACs to sound bright use bright sounding speakers so they compensate by using warm or smooth DAC (rolled-off highs) or amps to tame the hot tweeter/treble of the speakers?

Chord stuff is ridiculously expensive. I’ll never buy that kind of product just because probably 75 % of the manufacturing cost is put in those awful alu boxes. What’s left? A PCB produced in RPC for a few quid?
Preposterous.

And the PCB is a bit of plastic with some ICs on it. And what are ICs? A bit of silicon. ie Sand. You could go to the beach with a kiddies spade and get enough silicon for a thousand DACs for nothing.

Agree with this absolutely. My Qutest has performed superbly. I would be interested in hearing the Dave at some stage to see whether the extra cost of the upgrade is justified.

Even compared to a NOS DAC such as the Metrum Amethyst I don't find my Qutest bright - I own both these DACs. Qutest is detailed - maybe this detail becomes too obvious in a bright system.

Like any component, how it interacts with/ compliments the rest of your kit is just as important as the tech that’s inside.

My chord Dave sounded sublime with my a class vitus amp.

Chord have a very good relationship with the hifi press and are big advertisers.
IME Chord dacs are ok but nothing special, let down by their fancy casework which hinders their ability to squeeze in really good power supplies.
I had a Qute a few years ago and it was very good at its price point. I added a decent external power supply which made it is as good as the QBD (couldn’t really justify the extra cost considering the small difference between the two).
I had it a while and then tried a Primare Dac which was twice the price but did make the Chord sound rough.
Decent stuff but by no means exceptional at their price points.

I think Chord's WTA filtering sounds different in the same sense that zapping through an assortment of fast and slow linear or minimum phase filters will sound different - not a huge difference but some will find a preference. If there was one such filter that was 'coming home' to my ears, where nothing sounds bright or too fast and slow and the music just gets through - that's how I experience Chord vs the rest, having heard Mojo, Hugo 1, Qutest, Dave.

My most recent purchased were RME ADI-2 DAC and Sabaj D5 so that's one top AKM DAC and one top Sabre DAC, both sounding more detailed but I revert to Hugo 1 after a while every time. It's as if they cut the music from slightly different cloths and I personally just feel at home with how the Chord sounds.

Preposterous.

What can I say, and you think that these designs just appear by magic? Yes, production can be inexpensive now but how do you fund the next products without putting R&D into the pricing model?

I have had a mojo, and moved on the a Qutest. I have a modest, in hifi terms, set up and the Qutest has brought a refinement and balance to the system. I owned various DACs at similar price points before, and the Chord sound is very involving compared to the others.

Worth every penny....

I lived with a Chord DAC 64 mkII for quite a few years and loved the easy yet detailed non-fatiguing sound.

After much listening, including two trips to the Munich show, I narrowed my list of just-about-within-budget dacs to the Chord Dave (with the M-Scaler later on) or the dCS Bartok (with a clock later on). I would have been very happy with either.

At this price level I expect local support (I am in SE France). dCS is physically present in a well-established dealership here, upmarket Chord is not (nor anywhere vaguely near either)... maybe their new distributor will one day sort that out, but for me it will be too late (just imagine a major brand not being available anywhere near Birmingham, MAnchester and Edinburgh!). The local support for dCS provided by importer and dealer alike has been brilliant.

advertisement

Back