...would appear to be unavailable. I have tried:

Creme Fraiche Epaisse
Creme Fraiche
Creme Fluide Pasteurisee
Creme Entiere
Creme Epaisse d'Issigny
Creme Fleurette
Bibeleskäse

All miles off. I don't get why they are not into it. Its not just the texture, the taste is miles out on all of them too.

d'Isigny, one 's'.

It's a big co-op dairy in Normandy. Most of the supermarket Camembert comes from there.

Double cream in the UK is 48% fat, single is 18% look for the highest fat content you can find.
It's not that simple. Cream in France is generally cultured, by which I don't mean that it listens to Radio 3 and can discuss the novels of Zola, but it contains lactic organisms rather like yogurt. I think the organism is Strep lactis, but I'm not 100% on this, it's been a long time and I've never made the stuff. Anyway it's acidified, slightly, so the fat level is only half the story.

It sounds like somebody needs a good ice-cream recipe book that covers sorbets and ices based on other than UK-style simple creams, although I am sure that somewhere online will be an explanation of how water, fats, sugar, egg (water, protein and fat) and flavouring components work together to produce a traditional ice-cream.

The first step is to make a custard - how is that achieved in France? That MAY be a good starting point...…….

Try Googling "comment faire de la glace" - it gets loads of hits and some look VERY promising.

It's not that simple. Cream in France is generally cultured, by which I don't mean that it listens to Radio 3 and can discuss the novels of Zola, but it contains lactic organisms rather like yogurt. I think the organism is Strep lactis, but I'm not 100% on this, it's been a long time and I've never made the stuff. Anyway it's acidified, slightly, so the fat level is only half the story.
Hence my rubbish ice cream. So how do the French make ice cream if they do not have access to the proper stuff?

It sounds like somebody needs a good ice-cream recipe book that covers sorbets and ices based on other than UK-style simple creams, although I am sure that somewhere online will be an explanation of how water, fats, sugar, egg (water, protein and fat) and flavouring components work together to produce a traditional ice-cream.

The first step is to make a custard - how is that achieved in France? That MAY be a good starting point...…….

Try Googling "comment faire de la glace" - it gets loads of hits and some look VERY promising.
the problem is my first attempt was like custard flavoured ice cream. Noone liked it.

I have not made ice-cream from actual custard - the eggs and creams cannot get that far, is that what you did, actually cook the mixture?

I can't speak French - try the online recipes in French for home-made, they look promising.

Hence my rubbish ice cream. So how do the French make ice cream if they do not have access to the proper stuff?
You need to look at French recipes. I'm not familiar with them, I don't know how the chemistry works if conventional UK type cream isn't available. Ice cream is one food product that I haven't manufactured, which is surprising having spent as long in dairy as I have.

Richglib, you are much closer to your desired result than you think. Forget about cream, instead do what many French restaurants do. French ice cream is often based on restaurant economics.

Remember,custard does not exist per se in France. What they use instead is somewhat flatteringly called Crème Anglaise, and uses eggs as the thickening agent. This makes cooking a crème anglaise a lot harder than using Birds Eye powder, which is mostly cornflower. Remember this.

Try using a recipe for making a crème anglais, and if you've made one that is just turning (curdling), stopping the cooking there and then putting it through your ice cream machine. It's not going to taste the same as the UK version, but odds are it will taste better.

Richglib, you are much closer to your desired result than you think. Forget about cream, instead do what many French restaurants do. French ice cream is often based on restaurant economics.

Remember,custard does not exist per se in France. What they use instead is somewhat flatteringly called Crème Anglaise, and uses eggs as the thickening agent. This makes cooking a crème anglaise a lot harder than using Birds Eye powder, which is mostly cornflower. Remember this.

Try using a recipe for making a crème anglais, and if you've made one that is just turning (curdling), stopping the cooking there and then putting it through your ice cream machine. It's not going to taste the same as the UK version, but odds are it will taste better.
Yes, maybe. However, one reason for buying the machine was...English ice cream is better than French ice cream. Now I know why.

advertisement

Back