advertisement

How Long Before A Vote Of No Confidence In Johnson Government? II

Status
Not open for further replies.
He must hate Corbyn’s guts, so “surprising” is an understatement. I’m not sure the position of potential Tory rebels is cut and dried either. They’re probably toast anyway in the new far-right Tory Party. A VoNC might be their last chance to fight back. Will give this more thought later but it might be interesting to see a list of Conservative MPs elected by Remain constuencies with their majorities.

I am particularly depressed by the fact that since yesterday, and apart from Ruth Davidson, only one Tory has seen fit to resign their post - the chief whip in the Lords.
And yet a whole bunch of them, including some in the current cabinet, are on record saying that proroguing parliament would be unacceptable.

If a Tory mp resigns, can they then vote in a VoNC?

Will give this more thought later but it might be interesting to see a list of Conservative MPs elected by Remain constuencies with their majorities.

Yes, that would be very interesting, especially those in marginals. If they are likely to get hammered by the Lib Dems (or even Labour) next GE then they have little to lose I guess.

I’m not sure the position of potential Tory rebels is cut and dried either. They’re probably toast anyway in the new far-right Tory Party. A VoNC might be their last chance to fight back.
Unlike the labour party which would seem to have no significant external mechanism to resist a shift to the extreme the conservative party does. It was the pro-business party and the current f*ck business position will be energising some significant forces to reign in the extremes and move back towards something that better serves the interests of business. This is of course also an opportunity for the libdems but I doubt they will chase it.

If a Tory mp resigns, can they then vote in a VoNC?

To clarify the position: for well over 300 years MPs have not been permitted to resign. Death, disqualification and expulsion are the only methods possible. Disqualification arises from two offices; Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds. This 'taking the chiltern hundreds' has come to mean using those offices to effect a resignation as an MP.

He must hate Corbyn’s guts, so “surprising” is an understatement.

Note that Frank Field has not said he will support a Corbyn-led government.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that outraged MPs are queuing up to fall into the trap that has been set for them. Cummings must be laughing his head off.

Note that Frank Field has not said he will support a Corbyn-led government.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that outraged MPs are queuing up to fall into the trap that has been set for them. Cummings must be laughing his head off.
Nor does he say he won't support a Corbyn-led caretaker government. He isn't usually coy about dissing Corbyn so I take this as a good sign.

Anyway, here's another Tory MP with the potential to be on the right side of history: https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1167119194795728899

What horrible choice Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn. I think majority of UK population did note vote for neither of them yet we are stuck with them. And Parliament the only vessel to represent the people of UK is forced into silence by Boris Johnson who wants a no deal Brexit and is naively enamoured by a trade deal with Donald Trump. Its like someone has placed us normal mortals in a straight jacket and is forcing us to walk the gang plank so that we fall into shark infested seas. If Boris Johnson needs to silence the Parliament in regard to Brexit then by that act measures the negative nature of Brexit. What a nightmare...!

Dutch cartoonist Joost Collignons take on proroguing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back