advertisement

A-levels, postscript

Headingley

was a right dump when I lived there cheap as chips though

was a right dump when lived there a way overpriced, and nowhere near where you want to be

Kirkstall

I eventually found somewhere in Leeds that was pleasant to live, spent two years there on two adjacent roads, Woodside Ave and Woodside Place

Burley was another dump, spent my first term there until the landlord did runner for money laundering. Spent the 2nd term in dump round the corner from the Skyrack

Same in Leeds. They pay a huge premium to be in Headingley, very few live in Meanwood, few in Kirkstall, both of which are nice, and none want to live in Bramley or Armley (which I can understand, but if you select your street you can do well). I don't understand why when it's 2 miles to the Uni by bike (a trip down the canal, if it's light) and you can have a whole 2 bed house for £500 a month, when students in H'ley are paying that for *a room* in a shared house.
I'm afraid we have raised a pampered generation, my first student flat share was in Firvale (Sheffield) not as bad as painted but not great. We had shagpile carpet in the kitchen but the gas meter was broke so we never paid a penny in heating all year. Think I paid £80 a month in 1990. Living in a hovel was a right of passage. Ended up in a house share in Hillsborough which was pretty good & a lot cheaper than Ecclesall road with great transport links.

River in Jesmond that floods? Not many houses close enough for the Ouseburn for that to happen. Interesting to know where about it is?

Newcastle is a great place to be a student. I did 3 years there from 1981.
May also be useful to get 'digs' (as it used to be called) near a Metro station?

Newcastle is a great place to be a student. I did 3 years there from 1981.
May also be useful to get 'digs' (as it used to be called) near a Metro station?
The University is so central that I expect him to do a lot of walking. I managed to get him a bike thinking he would be going to York, not sure he'll need it in the toon.

River in Jesmond that floods? Not many houses close enough for the Ouseburn for that to happen. Interesting to know where about it is?
A place called Otterburn:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49311666

This appears to be a bit out of Newcastle. Not having the slightest idea of the geography of the region*, and always hearing my brother talk about her being in "Newcastle", I presumed that it was part of the general conurbation.

* One slight idea - when I hear the word "Newcastle" (even referring to the Irish one), I automatically think "Newcastle-Gateshead-Wallsend-Jarrow-North Shields-South Shields-Tynemouth", a hangover from O-level geography back in (gulp!) 1962.

Newcastle is a great place to be a student. I was external examiner at the Uni for three years. Dont get me wrong, it is a dump.

Great for young people, cheap eats, cheap booze and some young women praying in freshers. F*ck a Fresher nights out are legendary. Make sure your lad knows the rules of engagement and has had his HPV vaccination. IME many scrape their first year, but still graduate. Personally I'd hang on year for York.

I'm afraid we have raised a pampered generation, my first student flat share was in Firvale (Sheffield) not as bad as painted but not great. We had shagpile carpet in the kitchen but the gas meter was broke so we never paid a penny in heating all year. Think I paid £80 a month in 1990. Living in a hovel was a right of passage. Ended up in a house share in Hillsborough which was pretty good & a lot cheaper than Ecclesall road with great transport links.

Never been to Uni or looked at accom, but when browsing for rents in Nottingham I quite regularly have to skip pages of student accom at prices MORE than what I can afford on a full time wage. Go figure.

Never been to Uni or looked at accom, but when browsing for rents in Nottingham I quite regularly have to skip pages of student accom at prices MORE than what I can afford on a full time wage. Go figure.
Foreign students push the prices up, £150 a week is the norm now.

Newcastle is a great place to be a student. I was external examiner at the Uni for three years. Dont get me wrong, it is a dump.

Great for young people, cheap eats, cheap booze and some young women praying in freshers. F*ck a Fresher nights out are legendary. Make sure your lad knows the rules of engagement and has had his HPV vaccination. IME many scrape their first year, but still graduate. Personally I'd hang on year for York.
Well, where to start. I know the city pretty well, have family there, not a dump. 1st year doesn't count towards degree anyway (unless this has changed). York struck me as a soulless remote campus & the accommodation was not as good but more expensive.

I trust my son

I know the city pretty well

yeah me too, my Grandmother was born there. I worked for the uni there, visiting 4 times a year for 3 years, and I still think it a dump. But i am happy to agree to disagree with you.

yeah me too, my Grandmother was born there. I worked for the uni there, visiting 4 times a year for 3 years, and I still think it a dump. But i am happy to agree to disagree with you.
I'm there on business 4-5 times a year for the last 15 years, do I win? ;) I like the city & the people but we all have different tastes

I used to love visiting Newcastle back in my computer fixing days. Some 'interesting' sights down the Bigg Market of a night.....

All very friendly.

Nonsensical suggestion.
Why?
Get copy of the examination and the re-mark. If there are grounds to claim the exam board, in its marking, or checking the calculation of the marking, was negligent, they probably have a case to answer. As a direct result of their negligence, the uni place was lost. That loss incurs a cost - changing to another Uni, or waiting to reapply at the original Uni - which would not have been incurred if the Board had done their job properly.

I admit the suggestion was not deadly serious, but if you really wanted to take the exam board to task, there are probably grounds on which to do so.

Nonsense.
There are so many imponderables in your post it’s laughable.
It’s not even unusual to lose a place because of a low mark that is subsequently regraded upwards.
How many law suits have there been?

I got comprehensively mullered one Monday night in the Bigg Market about 20 years ago, stumbled back to the hotel at about 3 am having had my arse felt more in one evening than the rest of my life put together and staggered into the factory a very short time later before spending the day supervising a team of lads sorting out a quality failure. I imagine that I stopped reeking of ale sometime after lunch and I might even have been moderately useful by mid afternoon. Happy days.

advertisement

Back