advertisement

Clipping/Distortion on Pioneer SC-LX86

garyi

leave blank
I have this beast receiver here from Pioneer. Its been in the system for a while obviously second hand as its from 2012.

Its doing a lot of things right but I am hearing what sounds like clipping/distortion on voices when watching tv, shield tv etc. This happens on centre, where centre information exists and on the fronts in stereo mode. The fronts is pre out to a supernait.

Its hard to explain because it does not sound like distortion constantly its when people being to speak or at perhaps the leading edge of words kind of thing. It sounds like someone on a mic in the disco if you know what I mean.

Supernait sounds fine for other sources, so its not that. Previously I had a yamaha receiver in with no distortion exhibited.

Before I get round the back of this thing, is there likely to be anything physically amiss inside? I think they are class D amps and to my ears the distortion is only around voices, low end seems fine. There are no funny mystical smoke fairies or anything. When I put on a DTS movie sound improves a lot but then I think there may be an element of compression going on plus of course sub noise and all the rest. I think on simple stereo from youtube its more enhanced because its a simple stream.

There is literally a billion settings in the system, feasibly I may have got something wrong, but I have even resorted to RTFM. That being said I can adjust three 'standing waves' in audio and have no idea what all thats about.

Any hints on where on where to begin would be nice!

Simple question has this started to happen BUT you haven’t touched or changed ANYTHING. i.e. something inside your box has gone wrong.

Also you can edit posts like I just have.

What was the last thing you changed?

Hi.

I got it from ebay and plugged it in and the distortion has always been there. Its not so pronounced as to be unusable, but its noticeable, and has started to bug me!

I've checked connections, I don't really subscribe to cables sounding different but I supposed I could swap out the phono leads between the pioneer and the supernait, but as it does it on centre as well which is not going via supernait not sure thats going to help.

Its almost like the signal its receiving is to high if that makes sense, rather than it running out of steam, particularly as its not loud.

It does indeed sound like input overload. Is there an adjustment somewhere to lower the gain?

The only reference I can find is to analogue, but this appears to be on analogue inputs into the receiver.

I am going to run the wadgy sound thing again and see what it does.

advertisement

Back