advertisement

PS audio

graystoke4

pfm Member
hi, saw a piece on ps audio the other day, that they are going on-line sales only from October, this might mean a large price reduction, as no dealer mark up, mainly im thinking power conditioners and regeneraters, more than amps, as you need to audition them, would mean a big saving and worth a look at some of their gear, if the price were to come down,

TBH - do they have much choice? I’ve never seen any of their kit (other than a power conditioner) in a UK store!

On-line sales are the norm for just about any and everything, so why not with audio kit

audition,,, some kit just sounds bad, or just not for you ,to bassy to high and shreeky you really need to hear it, this is what the dealers have , this is their ace card, and this and their advice is what you pay the extra for, sounds a lot 40% ish , don't really know what the mark up is , but in this scope i think, but with the shop and wages , bills etc, and they can guide you to a better sound , well that's the story anyway, and most if not all still do a great job, and let'sface it when is the last time you had to que in a hifi shop for attention

Last edited:
I wonder why you'd not want to audition a power regenerator? Their effects are very system and mains quality specific. Could be great, could spoil things, could have little to no effect.

Some of their gear is truly spectacular - that BHK Signature preamp for example, it's a modern classic.

But their pricing policies are a nightmare. This is not going to work out well for them.

true sunbeamgls, i hope they have a great return policy, that alone could cost them thousands, probably more, people demoing them on a whim with the intention of sending it back, might try that myself ;)

Pity they've gone the foo route as they used to make some good sounding gear... if not very well made, in their early days. Phono stages, pre amps and a few power amps by them were great back in the '80's.

Never have and never will buy any of their kit, the levels of bullshit they claim on their videos is a joke.

You should follow Paul McGowan on YouTube. Yes he has seen the light and realizes that subjective mumbo jumbo is the way to go to increased sales and better margins. He is a very personable fellow. I really liked the price/performance ratio of their preamps and amps long ago (I mean PS IV with the huge external power supply days) but then they got into power conditioning that I never got into. Their new stuff looks interesting but I have been retired a long while now and simply do not have money for such toys anymore so I soldier on with the very decent equipment I have. They have this fellow, Bascom King, on board as an engineering/design consultant and now offer products with tubes (valves on your side of the pond) in some portion of the circuits. From what I read Mr. King has been in the business a long time and has an excellent reputation. I think that direct sales in high ticket products such those from PS Audio is not a good idea as you have to see such products and hear such products in person and that just can't be replaced by "no questions asked" return policies and free shipping on returns.

Insofar as audio claims go, you have to take some and leave some. I, on this issue, am on the "leave" side!

Regards.

Why? I am sure he is a very nice guy, and he is good at presenting (as many sales/marketing people are), but he is pushing woo and spreading misinformation.

Those youtube video's are an absolute disaster. And he does them seven days a week. He's obviously a narcissist who loves seeing himself on video. He should knock that shit off immediately and get back to running his company.

Why? I am sure he is a very nice guy, and he is good at presenting (as many sales/marketing people are), but he is pushing woo and spreading misinformation.
Absolutely. He tries to come across as being authoritative but it’s obvious to anyone with even a smattering of technical knowledge that he is not worth listening to.

My experience: I've been to their facility several times, met Paul and other engineers and builders there. They gave me a lot of their time and passion, explaining, demonstrating, and also having a laugh. Feels like a nice culture there. I use their products and really love my S300 amp. I don't get the impression that they would make haphazard marketing decisions. They are smart people who have been in a difficult and highly competitive business, successfully, for a long time. Let's see how this decision plays out.

I’m pretty sure you can return gear to PS Audio if you’re unhappy... they must be fairly confident that most of their customers will be happy. I like Paul McGowan, he seems like a genuinely nice person... and he’s quite funny too.

Absolutely. He tries to come across as being authoritative but it’s obvious to anyone with even a smattering of technical knowledge that he is not worth listening to.

I've heard him say things that are so stupid it's impossible to take him seriously any more.

The printer cable is the cable that connects the printer to your computer. The cable comes with a connector on both ends and transfers printing commands from the computer to the printer.

advertisement

Back