advertisement

Brahms, Brahms, always Brahms!

PaulMB

pfm Member
I just got a sudden memory of a film, American, probably 1950s, in which the protagonist lives in a house with his wife, having married morally and culturally beneath him. He likes to read and listen to music, maybe he is a little on the introverted-depressed side, while she wants to go out carousing. There is a scene in which she has a tantrum and throws his LPs all over the place and shouts "Brahms, Brahms, I hate it, I can't stand it anymore," or words very similar.
Anyone have any idea what film it might be?

Paul,

Are you thinking of that Star Trek episode where Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Bones meet Brahms?

Jump to ~3:00

Joe

If it can help at all, I seem to remember it was an American "quality" film, late '50s eraly '60s, a psychological drama set in a big country house, maybe close to the sea or a lake. Maybe the protagonist was Tab Hunter, but quite possibly not. In fact forget Hunter, it may be that I just associate him with that kind of film.

Yves Montand drives a Facel Vega, the most "chic" car of the late 'fifties, early 'sixties. Bit of a grim story, but how could you fall asleep?

"Brahms, Brahms, I hate it, I can't stand it anymore," or words very similar.
Anyone have any idea what film it might be?

are-you-being-served-the-movie
?

Yves Montand drives a Facel Vega, the most "chic" car of the late 'fifties, early 'sixties. Bit of a grim story, but how could you fall asleep?

Ah-ha! So it was HE who started all this global warming business!

The film version of Flowers for Algernon?
No, not that at all. I must say that given the great number of great minds with musical sensitivity on PFM I'm surprised nobody remembers a scene in which a wife throws LPs around shouting something like "All you care about is your music, Brahms, Brahms, I can't stand it anymore!" or words to that effect.

advertisement

Back